Rutgers losing o-line coach to NDSU

Depressing fact;

NDSU has more OL in the NFL right now than the Gophers (Gophers do have two TE's in the league though!)

Hopefully a trend we can reverse

NDSU is a good program no doubt.

As far as moving from Rutgers to NDSU - it's his life. A heck of a lot of people would like to make 200 grand doing something they love - as opposed to grinding out a living doing a job that sucks the life out of you every day.

I realize a lot of people see coaching as a progression - keep moving up the ladder every couple of years. But, there are exceptions to the rule. There are coaches who stay at the same job or the same level for years, because they love what they do and where they're doing it.

if this guy is happy working with a friend, at a successful program that is adored by its fans, in an area where the cost of living is a lot more affordable, that sounds like a good life to me.

just because you might make a different choice does not mean it would be a bad choice for someone else.

Funniest post of the day. Every point is hilarious! I can see why Fargo is called the new Broadway!

What part of what I said would you like to debate? Winningest program this decade in college FB. NDSU runs a power running game where OL play is critical. Very few teams at any level play that style of football anymore. Most teams use spread concepts and rely on speed and finesse.

Last edited:

I see it is only speculating about Gopher coaches sends folks on here into a tizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of what I said would you like to debate? Winningest program this decade in college FB. NDSU runs a power running game where OL play is critical. Very few teams at any level play that style of football anymore. Most teams use spread concepts and rely on speed and finesse.

Yes, and my neighbor’s nephew’s friend’s uncle-in-law coached the best 8 year old flag football team in Perham last year. Maybe one of the Rutger’s coaches should see if he has an opening next year.

You do realize that you have an inflated impression of NDSU, right? They are a good program for their level, but there is another whole level of football above them. It is like a fan of an AHL team going on an NHL team board and bragging about how great his AHL team is. Nobody cares. And this discussion is like an NHL assistant coach taking a pay cut and moving to a similar assistant job on an AHL team. Once you join the P5 club of coaches, you don’t leave unless it is a major step up in responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see it is only speculating about Gopher coaches sends folks on here into a tizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know my chili is hot.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Yea, and in about 5 years he might get offered an assistant job at a P5 school, maybe something like the OL coach at Rutgers! Stupid career move.

Trading NYC metro for Fargo???? Are you kidding me? Maybe to be HC but anything else, never!

Also if you are working near Rutgers, you do not have to pay Manhattan or Westchester Co prices. 30 miles west of Rutgers is cheaper and borderline rural. Or you can get an elite urban condo in Jersey not that far from NYC or Rutgers. Newark and Jersey City are way better than in the past.

I used to fly into Newark and spend a week or two at a time working at a company outpost in Roseland NJ, not that far inland. The area was full of golf courses and very green tree canopied, lush, "elite" place. The locals I worked with mostly lived in houses they owen to the west in small towns that sounded a lot like Buffalo or Hastings MN based on the their descriptions. I'd live there again in a second for the long term if I had the right job. My boss at the time actually lived in PA, but drove to Roseland almost daily and it was not much worse than a commute from Chaska to Saint Paul, or Woodbury to Maple Grove.

Last edited:

Trading NYC metro for Fargo???? Are you kidding me? Maybe to be HC but anything else, never!

Also if you are working near Rutgers, you do not have to pay Manhattan or Westchester Co prices. 30 miles west of Rutgers is cheaper and borderline rural. Or you can get an elite urban condo in Jersey not that far from NYC or Rutgers. Newark and Jersey City are way better than in the past.

I used to fly into Newark and spend a week or two at a time working at a company outpost in Roseland NJ, not that far inland it it was a tree covered, lush, "elite" place. I'd live there again in a second for the long term if I had the right job.[/QUOT

Has anyone considered that he was asked to move?

I used to fly into Newark and spend a week or two at a time working at a company outpost in Roseland NJ, not that far inland it it was a tree covered, lush, "elite" place. I'd live there again in a second for the long term if I had the right job.[/QUOT

Has anyone considered that he was asked to move?

That is a good point, and if he really hated working for Ash and is friendly with Entz this move makes more sense. I let my lingering desire to live near NYC )for a while at least) and appreciation for New Jersey get in the way of that realization.

I can't understand how this thread made it to page 3.

Puzzling.

Title could have been "Man escapes firing by seeking refuge in frozen, windy, barren, ice cemetary."

Puzzling.

Title could have been "Man escapes firing by seeking refuge in frozen, windy, barren, ice cemetary."

Come now. You know full well that if the title was "Rutgers losing o-line coach to Louisville", there would've been 3 posts in the thread.

Puzzling.

It is the shock value. No one intentionally moves to North Dakota, especially if you leave a better job and take a pay cut.

This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?

Klieman (NDSU's former head coach that won multiple championships) was making around $300K a year, so I'm guessing this Rutgers guy won't be making anywhere near what he made at Rutgers. Seems strange, but NDSU may be coming in with the pitch that NDSU coaches go on to bigger things, and much bigger pay days.

Reading through the thread, has me disappointed in a lot of Gopher fans. Still undermining what the Bison have accomplished. I can understand the hate that a lot of Bison fans have for the Gophers because of this. The Bison have routinely beat FBS teams in non-conference play, the result being teams (including the Gophers/BIG Ten) refusing to play them. They have won 7 of the last 8 championships at the collegiate level closest to FBS. The Bison are a legitimate college football team, so the sarcasm with putting "college football" in quotes from some of you, is ridiculous.

Reading through the thread, has me disappointed in a lot of Gopher fans. Still undermining what the Bison have accomplished. I can understand the hate that a lot of Bison fans have for the Gophers because of this. The Bison have routinely beat FBS teams in non-conference play, the result being teams (including the Gophers/BIG Ten) refusing to play them. They have won 7 of the last 8 championships at the collegiate level closest to FBS. The Bison are a legitimate college football team, so the sarcasm with putting "college football" in quotes from some of you, is ridiculous.

or, ya know, that there is legitimately no benefit whatsoever to play and beat an FCS team (which is why I also hate that we scheduled St Dak St, absolutely stupid) from a public stance

Good. Buck the Fison.

Some in their fan base are annoying. They think beating two Gopher teams that combined to go 4-20 under new coaches proves they would beat MN every year.

Klieman (NDSU's former head coach that won multiple championships) was making around $300K a year, so I'm guessing this Rutgers guy won't be making anywhere near what he made at Rutgers. Seems strange, but NDSU may be coming in with the pitch that NDSU coaches go on to bigger things, and much bigger pay days.

Klieman's base at NDAC was around $325,000, and with performance bonuses I presume he made close to $500K this last year.

Oh boo hoo. Give me a break. People don't respect the JV. I realize that they're doing very well for their level - key words being "their level." Come play in the Big Ten and let's hear you crowing about your accomplishments.

He had a former coaching relationship with NDSU's new head coach (the former D-coord). They coached together both at Winona State and Western Illinois (same conf as NDSU). Guessing he reached out to him, and sold him on it. Even if it is a completely lower level (arguably two levels power than P5 college football), it is nice to win for a change, rather than going 7-29 in three seasons under Chris Ash. And/or perhaps he just prefers coaching at that lower level? It is perfectly reasonable, even if we don't understand it.

Another crazy thought: maybe he's had his fill of "out east" folks, and just wants to get back to the midwest and closer to family? He's from Kansas, and played OL at Iowa (also where he started his coaching career).

Last edited:

or, ya know, that there is legitimately no benefit whatsoever to play and beat an FCS team (which is why I also hate that we scheduled St Dak St, absolutely stupid) from a public stance

As much as some may hate it ... this is absolutely correct, in my opinion. It would be one thing if there was an in-state, or especially one of the U of Minn campuses, that played FCS (DI-AA) football. Then at least our buy game would have the money staying in-state or completely within the U system.

But there is just zero incentive to ever schedule a Dakota team, so long as they're in FCS. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. Give me Colorado State or Miami Ohio, every time.

Last edited:

Oh boo hoo. Give me a break. People don't respect the JV. I realize that they're doing very well for their level - key words being "their level." Come play in the Big Ten and let's hear you crowing about your accomplishments.

The reason they win at their level is that they have their pick of two star type players in the upper midwest/north central (whatever you want to call it) USA who don't get recruited by Big Ten or Big XII teams. And those players are simply a half-step better than most of the players around the nation at the FCS level. That's why they've won the last 7 of 8. There simply just is no competition in FCS anymore. Teams like Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, etc. have moved up to FBS.

They're a legitimate FCS team. Most people don't care about FCS and they act as if their accomplishments at FCS level are same level as FBS

My nephew goes there and for his sake I like to see them do well because he has fun. For trolls like Herd that think FCS is > than it actually is and beating a 3-9 gopher team is still relevant 7 years later is annoying. Gophers aren't scared of NDSU, there is no benefit to beating them and losing to them, which is obviously possible, is a huge negative

I probably would root for NDSU since if their fan base wasn't so obnoxious

Last edited:

Klieman's base at NDAC was around $325,000, and with performance bonuses I presume he made close to $500K this last year.

This!

They win huge at their level because they are the best at their level with the best facilities, recruiting base, and money.

They get to pound poor FCS programs all year then ramp up to play 1 FBS school in their "super bowl" while that opponent is barely paying attention because they have to play Ohio st or Oklahoma the following week. US beat the Russians in 80. Anything can happen once but to do it over 12 games vs B1G and FBS opponents...good bizon.

They win alot at JV. Yeah. Good for them. Moving on

Another simple example of the difference is how many of the NDSU recruits would have dropped NDSU if they had a scholarships offer from ANY P5 school? 100%

NDSU has a nice niche in their level of play. The upper Midwest produces several good athletes that are judged not quite good enough yet to get a get a P5 scholarship. But please stop inflating their stance in the world of college football. NDSU loses recruits when the kids get walk on offers from P5 schools.

Another simple example of the difference is how many of the NDSU recruits would have dropped NDSU if they had a scholarships offer from ANY P5 school? 100%

NDSU has a nice niche in their level of play. The upper Midwest produces several good athletes that are judged not quite good enough yet to get a get a P5 scholarship. But please stop inflating their stance in the world of college football. NDSU loses recruits when the kids get walk on offers from P5 schools.

I agree with many of your points. I think NDSU is a big fish/small pond situation and I really despise a certain section of their fanbase. But Noah Gindorff turned down PJ in the weeks leading up to the 2017 signing day and stuck with his NDSU commitment. Won't get into who was at fault or why, but it does happen sometimes.

This topic when it comes up:

OMG+girl.gif

I always love to respond to idiots that use extremes like "100%".

https://247sports.com/Article/Kansa...uctive-hard-hitting-LB-Luke-Weerts-117202907/
https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Weerts-46052068/

PS - haha

Last edited:

Top Bottom