Rutgers losing o-line coach to NDSU

swingman

Reaction score
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...line-coach-aj-blazek-leaving-for-new-job.html

More change is coming to the Rutgers coaching staff.

Offensive line coach and assistant head coach A.J. Blazek has left the staff for a new job, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, to join the coaching staff at two-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State. Blazek has previously worked with new Bison coach Matt Entz.

The energetic Blazek was one of the more prominent members of head coach Chris Ash’s staff and considered one of its better recruiters. Blazek, who was an All-Big Ten center at Iowa, flirted with a job at his alma mater after the 2016 season. But Ash was able to retain him with a raise and the addition of his assistant head coach title. Blazek’s base salary was $350,000 this past season; his contract was set to expire at the end of June.
Despite the fact Rutgers had an abysmal offensive season in 2018, Blazek is so far the only change with the offensive coaching staff. John McNulty will return for a second season – becoming the first Rutgers offensive coordinator to do so in a decade – while running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb and tight ends coach Vince Okruch appear set to return at this point.

Rutgers has made several changes on the defensive side of the ball, though. Ash did not retain defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jay Niemann and outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas after the season while cornerbacks coach/pass game coordinator Cory Robinson left for a job at Maryland. Ash has since re-hired former assistant Henry Baker to replace Robinson and tabbed former Maryland defensive coordinator Andy Buh to replace Niemann.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...line-coach-aj-blazek-leaving-for-new-job.html

Offensive line coach and assistant head coach A.J. Blazek has left the staff for a new job, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, to join the coaching staff at two-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State. Blazek has previously worked with new Bison coach Matt Entz.

The energetic Blazek was one of the more prominent members of head coach Chris Ash’s staff and considered one of its better recruiters. Blazek, who was an All-Big Ten center at Iowa, flirted with a job at his alma mater after the 2016 season. But Ash was able to retain him with a raise and the addition of his assistant head coach title. Blazek’s base salary was $350,000 this past season; his contract was set to expire at the end of June.
Despite the fact Rutgers had an abysmal offensive season in 2018, Blazek is so far the only change with the offensive coaching staff. John McNulty will return for a second season – becoming the first Rutgers offensive coordinator to do so in a decade – while running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb and tight ends coach Vince Okruch appear set to return at this point.

Rutgers has made several changes on the defensive side of the ball, though. Ash did not retain defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jay Niemann and outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas after the season while cornerbacks coach/pass game coordinator Cory Robinson left for a job at Maryland. Ash has since re-hired former assistant Henry Baker to replace Robinson and tabbed former Maryland defensive coordinator Andy Buh to replace Niemann.

This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?

This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?

Or he is taking a slight pay cut and moving to a place that has stability because everyone at Rutgers probably gets fired in 10 months.

Cost of living in Fargo is significantly less than NJ...

My guess is that Its much less. HC made about 500k last year

Will be interesting to see if Augustana of Sioux Falls cuts into NDSU recruiting as they make their trek to Division 1 football.

Will be interesting to see if Augustana of Sioux Falls cuts into NDSU recruiting as they make their trek to Division 1 football.

I don't see that entire thing going well. If any SD school was going to go D1, it should be SDSU.

They play the Gophers this coming fall.

They did, 12 years ago.

Touche. To clarify, it was my understanding that Augie was considering going to FBS level. Not sure if that is still the case. Either way I think it's a stretch.

Wow.

Or he is taking a slight pay cut and moving to a place that has stability because everyone at Rutgers probably gets fired in 10 months.

Yea, and in about 5 years he might get offered an assistant job at a P5 school, maybe something like the OL coach at Rutgers! Stupid career move.

Yea, and in about 5 years he might get offered an assistant job at a P5 school, maybe something like the OL coach at Rutgers! Stupid career move.

Taking an OL coaching job at the winningest program in college FB is stupid? The program that’s known for its power running game and has a greater emphasis on OL play than almost anywhere I can think of? It’s a stable job with upward mobility vs Rutgers. Even with less pay, not stupid. Rutgers football is somewhere between P5 and PU.

Last edited:

Taking an OL coaching job at the winningest program in college FB is stupid? The program that’s known for its power running game and has a greater emphasis on OL play than almost anywhere I can think of? It’s a stable job with upward mobility vs Rutgers. Even with less pay, not stupid. Rutgers football is somewhere between P5 and PU.

Funniest post of the day. Every point is hilarious! I can see why Fargo is called the new Broadway!

Taking an OL coaching job at the winningest program in <b>”college FB”</b>is stupid? The program that’s known for its power running game and has a greater emphasis on OL play than almost anywhere I can think of? It’s a stable job with upward mobility vs Rutgers. Even with less pay, not stupid. Rutgers football is somewhere between P5 and PU.

I hate to be the grammar police, but I believe you need quotes around “college football” in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a preemptive job change considering Rutgers was 130th in offense and their 4 star (3 star) QB went on a 4 TD vs 18 INT campaign. It’s a wierd situation, perhaps similar to USC where nobody really seems to know why the staff was retained. Business reasons, interpersonal reasons, compromising photos.

Ok, tell me where all of the past OL coaches at your “powerhouse” have gone onto with all of that upward mobility. And I am talking P5 jobs, not assistant to the regional manager in Scranton.

Ok, tell me where all of the past OL coaches at your “powerhouse” have gone onto with all of that upward mobility. And I am talking P5 jobs, not assistant to the regional manager in Scranton.

Truth be told, this hire should be reversed. Rutgers should be hiring the offensive line coach from NDSU. Talk to anyone on the Hawkeye board, they will tell you that best hire Iowa has made in the last 10 years was hiring Tom Polasek, the OC at NDSU two years ago to coach the Oline.

Touche. To clarify, it was my understanding that Augie was considering going to FBS level. Not sure if that is still the case. Either way I think it's a stretch.

They are making their move to join the B1G. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that Augie may either cut football entirely or play non-scholarship football, like Drake does in a conference called the Pioneer League, which is specifically for a group of non-scholarship football teams in FCS (DI-AA). Probably the best comparison to Augie, of DI private schools in the North Central USA, is indeed Drake. Could look at starting a hockey team, good arenas and interest in Sioux Falls.

U Nebraska Omaha did the same thing when they moved up to DI. Chose to focus on basketball and hockey, cutting their football team.

Augie clearly is hoping to land in the Summit League, which would essentially just be a DI version of the old DII North Central Conference. With Omaha, NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, and Augie, the only teams missing would be St Cloud St, Mankato State, and Northern Colorado which is already DI in the Big Sky conference, but could consider a move to the Summit as well since it has the University of Denver.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...vision-sioux-falls-college-sports/2307262002/

Seems like a preemptive job change considering Rutgers was 130th in offense and their 4 star (3 star) QB went on a 4 TD vs 18 INT campaign. It’s a wierd situation, perhaps similar to USC where nobody really seems to know why the staff was retained. Business reasons, interpersonal reasons, compromising photos.

Yeah, Chris Ash may not end up being the answer Rutgers was hoping for. He was DC at Wisconsin for 2 years, then DC at Arkansas for a year, then co-DC at Ohio St for two years, prior to being hired. I guess that's good? It's easy to look good at Ohio St.

Pretty bad regression in 2018 at 1-11, after going 4-8 in 2017, up from 2-10 in 2016. I guess they're giving him one more year to see if his recruits can get the thing going in the right direction, or if they will decide to move on.

Lovie showed some hope at Illinois in 2018 at 4-8. Will be interesting to see if Illinois moves on as well, if he has a bad 2019.

Hiring coordinators from the SEC is all the rage these days. Wonder if Rutgers and Illinois might both be looking for one after next year.

Truth be told, this hire should be reversed. Rutgers should be hiring the offensive line coach from NDSU. Talk to anyone on the Hawkeye board, they will tell you that best hire Iowa has made in the last 10 years was hiring Tom Polasek, the OC at NDSU two years ago to coach the Oline.

Prior to Kliemann being moved up to K-State and taking some NDSU coaches with him, I think Tim Polasek might be the only direct to P5 hire from NDSU, at least since Craig Bohl was hired there in 2003. And that likely was because of Gene Taylor, as well, since he was an assistant athletic director at Iowa at that time (I believe), and now as the AD at K-State is the reason Kliemann was hired.

I'm sure there are a few P5 coaches out there that have been at NDSU for some time, but not hired directly to P5 from NDSU. The Gophers' RB coach Kenni Burns is one such example. I could be wrong though.

Actually the more interesting thing is that three former NDSU coaches have had fairly impressive NFL coaching careers. Bob Babich was NDSU's head coach before Bohl, and has gone on to be LB coach and defensive coordinator in the NFL since then. Gus Bradley was DC at Seattle, then HC at Jacksonville, now DC for the Chargers. And Todd Wash is now DC for the Jags.

Last edited:

Weird move, maybe he just preemptively decided where he wanted to land and wanted to take it easier....

I have a feeling that Augie may either cut football entirely or play non-scholarship football, like Drake does in a conference called the Pioneer League, which is specifically for a group of non-scholarship football teams in FCS (DI-AA). Probably the best comparison to Augie, of DI private schools in the North Central USA, is indeed Drake. Could look at starting a hockey team, good arenas and interest in Sioux Falls.

U Nebraska Omaha did the same thing when they moved up to DI. Chose to focus on basketball and hockey, cutting their football team.

Augie clearly is hoping to land in the Summit League, which would essentially just be a DI version of the old DII North Central Conference. With Omaha, NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, and Augie, the only teams missing would be St Cloud St, Mankato State, and Northern Colorado which is already DI in the Big Sky conference, but could consider a move to the Summit as well since it has the University of Denver.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...vision-sioux-falls-college-sports/2307262002/

Seems to me UNO was coerced to drop football as part of the okay from the U Nebraska BoD/BoR. To avoid competition for instate talent.

Seems to me UNO was coerced to drop football as part of the okay from the U Nebraska BoD/BoR. To avoid competition for instate talent.

Have no idea if this is true, probably has never been (or will be) reported, if so. But it's something a person could believe as reasonable.

The same type of thing could happen for Augie. There could be an agreement made that Augie will only get into the Summit if they agree to drop football, and perhaps to limit their basketball recruiting of players that USD and/or SDSU are targeting.

I'm guessing you think NDSU would dominate the B1GW if we let you in?

Depressing fact;

NDSU has more OL in the NFL right now than the Gophers (Gophers do have two TE's in the league though!)

Top Bottom