Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1

    Default Rutgers losing o-line coach to NDSU

    https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...r-new-job.html

    More change is coming to the Rutgers coaching staff.

    Offensive line coach and assistant head coach A.J. Blazek has left the staff for a new job, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, to join the coaching staff at two-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State. Blazek has previously worked with new Bison coach Matt Entz.

    The energetic Blazek was one of the more prominent members of head coach Chris Ash’s staff and considered one of its better recruiters. Blazek, who was an All-Big Ten center at Iowa, flirted with a job at his alma mater after the 2016 season. But Ash was able to retain him with a raise and the addition of his assistant head coach title. Blazek’s base salary was $350,000 this past season; his contract was set to expire at the end of June.
    Despite the fact Rutgers had an abysmal offensive season in 2018, Blazek is so far the only change with the offensive coaching staff. John McNulty will return for a second season – becoming the first Rutgers offensive coordinator to do so in a decade – while running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb and tight ends coach Vince Okruch appear set to return at this point.

    Rutgers has made several changes on the defensive side of the ball, though. Ash did not retain defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jay Niemann and outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas after the season while cornerbacks coach/pass game coordinator Cory Robinson left for a job at Maryland. Ash has since re-hired former assistant Henry Baker to replace Robinson and tabbed former Maryland defensive coordinator Andy Buh to replace Niemann.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingman View Post
    https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...r-new-job.html

    More change is coming to the Rutgers coaching staff.

    Offensive line coach and assistant head coach A.J. Blazek has left the staff for a new job, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, to join the coaching staff at two-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State. Blazek has previously worked with new Bison coach Matt Entz.

    The energetic Blazek was one of the more prominent members of head coach Chris Ash’s staff and considered one of its better recruiters. Blazek, who was an All-Big Ten center at Iowa, flirted with a job at his alma mater after the 2016 season. But Ash was able to retain him with a raise and the addition of his assistant head coach title. Blazek’s base salary was $350,000 this past season; his contract was set to expire at the end of June.
    Despite the fact Rutgers had an abysmal offensive season in 2018, Blazek is so far the only change with the offensive coaching staff. John McNulty will return for a second season – becoming the first Rutgers offensive coordinator to do so in a decade – while running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb and tight ends coach Vince Okruch appear set to return at this point.

    Rutgers has made several changes on the defensive side of the ball, though. Ash did not retain defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jay Niemann and outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas after the season while cornerbacks coach/pass game coordinator Cory Robinson left for a job at Maryland. Ash has since re-hired former assistant Henry Baker to replace Robinson and tabbed former Maryland defensive coordinator Andy Buh to replace Niemann.
    This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?
    Or he is taking a slight pay cut and moving to a place that has stability because everyone at Rutgers probably gets fired in 10 months.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Cost of living in Fargo is significantly less than NJ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Coon Rapids
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    This is strange. I know that a coach may want to work with an old friend, but NDSU can't be paying their assistant coaches north of $350K. Plus moving from an asst head coaching job at a P5 school to move to JV?
    My guess is that Its much less. HC made about 500k last year
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  6. #6

    Default

    Will be interesting to see if Augustana of Sioux Falls cuts into NDSU recruiting as they make their trek to Division 1 football.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,039
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Will be interesting to see if Augustana of Sioux Falls cuts into NDSU recruiting as they make their trek to Division 1 football.
    I don't see that entire thing going well. If any SD school was going to go D1, it should be SDSU.

  8. #8

    Default

    SDSU and university of South Dakota are both D1 FCS schools

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I don't see that entire thing going well. If any SD school was going to go D1, it should be SDSU.
    They did, 12 years ago.

  10. #10

    Default

    They play the Gophers this coming fall.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,039
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    They did, 12 years ago.
    Touche. To clarify, it was my understanding that Augie was considering going to FBS level. Not sure if that is still the case. Either way I think it's a stretch.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingman View Post
    https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...r-new-job.html

    More change is coming to the Rutgers coaching staff.

    Offensive line coach and assistant head coach A.J. Blazek has left the staff for a new job, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media, to join the coaching staff at two-time reigning FCS champion North Dakota State. Blazek has previously worked with new Bison coach Matt Entz.

    The energetic Blazek was one of the more prominent members of head coach Chris Ash’s staff and considered one of its better recruiters. Blazek, who was an All-Big Ten center at Iowa, flirted with a job at his alma mater after the 2016 season. But Ash was able to retain him with a raise and the addition of his assistant head coach title. Blazek’s base salary was $350,000 this past season; his contract was set to expire at the end of June.
    Despite the fact Rutgers had an abysmal offensive season in 2018, Blazek is so far the only change with the offensive coaching staff. John McNulty will return for a second season – becoming the first Rutgers offensive coordinator to do so in a decade – while running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb and tight ends coach Vince Okruch appear set to return at this point.

    Rutgers has made several changes on the defensive side of the ball, though. Ash did not retain defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jay Niemann and outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas after the season while cornerbacks coach/pass game coordinator Cory Robinson left for a job at Maryland. Ash has since re-hired former assistant Henry Baker to replace Robinson and tabbed former Maryland defensive coordinator Andy Buh to replace Niemann.
    Wow.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Or he is taking a slight pay cut and moving to a place that has stability because everyone at Rutgers probably gets fired in 10 months.
    Yea, and in about 5 years he might get offered an assistant job at a P5 school, maybe something like the OL coach at Rutgers! Stupid career move.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Touche. To clarify, it was my understanding that Augie was considering going to FBS level. Not sure if that is still the case. Either way I think it's a stretch.
    No

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Yea, and in about 5 years he might get offered an assistant job at a P5 school, maybe something like the OL coach at Rutgers! Stupid career move.
    Taking an OL coaching job at the winningest program in college FB is stupid? The program that’s known for its power running game and has a greater emphasis on OL play than almost anywhere I can think of? It’s a stable job with upward mobility vs Rutgers. Even with less pay, not stupid. Rutgers football is somewhere between P5 and PU.
    Last edited by Herd; 01-10-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •