Shama: Hoiberg Return Here Makes Sense, And Not Perhaps With Wolves

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Fred Hoiberg could have a future in Minneapolis, and perhaps not with the Timberwolves like most everyone is speculating.

If Golden Gophers coach Richard Pitino moved on after this season, it doesn’t require much imagination to think athletic director Mark Coyle has Hoiberg’s name on a list of potential candidates who interest him. Coyle, who didn’t hire Pitino, has shown a willingness to change coaches in his department since taking over as Minnesota’s AD in the spring of 2016.

Pitino, 36, has a 33-61 Big Ten record in five-plus seasons, and one NCAA Tournament appearance. Going into this season basketball media considered him a coach on the “hot seat.” Minnesota’s overall record this season is 12-3 and 2-2 in conference games after last night’s home loss to Maryland.

In past years rumors had other schools pursuing Pitino for head coaching jobs. He has East Coast roots and maybe it’s possible an impressive season this winter by the Gophers will prompt a job opening that interests him more than Minnesota.

It’s common policy for athletic directors to maintain lists of potential replacements for coaches leaving their positions. Hoiberg’s qualifications make him a “layup” for the job at Minnesota, if it opens and he is interested.

Hoiberg’s name is known throughout this state for his playing career with the Timberwolves and front office work with the franchise. His first entry into coaching was a huge success at Iowa State, where he made the team a Big-12 power with an up-tempo offense led by transfers from other schools including ex-Gopher Royce White. While at Iowa State, Hoiberg’s name was prominently connected to the Gophers’ coaching opening in 2013 but apparently he wasn’t interested at that time in leaving the Cyclones.

Iowa State was a homecoming for the Ames native who had been a legendary player for the Cyclones. He won about two-thirds of his games (115-56) in five seasons before leaving for the NBA’s Bulls. He never got the Bulls into the playoffs and in December was terminated because the club was playing so poorly. His supporters argue he never had the personnel to turn the Bulls into a winner.

Hoiberg told ESPN on Monday he prefers to pursue college or pro coaching opportunities, rather than work in an NBA front office. Zach Lowe wrote that Hoiberg’s passion is with coaching, and that he isn’t prioritizing either the NBA or college coaching for his next stop.

Hoiberg also has the name recognition, appearance, charm and communication skills to be a TV basketball authority. At 46, he has considerable hoops experience and yet he is young enough to be attractive to potential employers.

“The Mayor,” as he is known in Ames, has options and they’re not in politics. Last I heard he still had connections to Minnesota including a lake cabin in the state. My impression years ago was that he and his family liked living here—a lot. While there are rumors UCLA wants him for its basketball opening, the Midwest seems like home for the “one of us” Hoiberg.

The Gopher job (if it becomes available) is attractive because the state is almost oozing with talented high school players. Keep most of them home and the Gophers could just about be Big Ten title contenders each year. The decades ahead might be special for the program.

At Iowa State Hoiberg had to fight off Iowa and other nearby programs for talent. The Gophers, though, are the only Division I basketball program in the state of Minnesota. That means a leg up in recruiting and support from the public including ticket buyers and donors. The program has a high ceiling in every way including an iconic arena and state-of-the-art practice facility.

Think of the recruiting pitch Hoiberg could make to recruits if he returns to a college program. He can talk about his own playing career, success in college coaching and extensive experience in the NBA. Known for his expertise in player development, Hoiberg could convincingly tell recruits he knows the formula for getting them to the NBA.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be fine but the Mayor has never impressed me all that much as a great basketball mind.

And there is that spewing about keeping kids home non sense. 20 states can say that but people that build winners find players from all over. This state does not produce numbers consistently and kids now days do not dream of the home state school that often. They dream of Duke, Kentucky, UNC, KU and other blue bloods and for all kinds of wonderful reasons. Get that guys that fit, that are smart and mold them into a great team . That is your job.

More BS spew from the local press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weird headline. Decided to use the word perhaps and couldn't talk himself out of it.

Shama is a hack.

I believe several of his transfers were risks, dismissed from their team type transfers. I doubt the U let's him take those risks on. Does he have the same success without being able to take on those risks?

Jeez, Pitino has not been a home run, yet, but to replace him with a Hoiberg would not be enough of an upgrade imo. What is Pitino's buy out?

Jeez, Pitino has not been a home run, yet, but to replace him with a Hoiberg would not be enough of an upgrade imo. What is Pitino's buy out?

Not much of an upgrade? Are you aware of his college coaching resume? It blows Richard's away.

Not much of an upgrade? Are you aware of his college coaching resume? It blows Richard's away.

Ryan Saunders would now be a legitimate name. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think if he is doing well on the pro level to stay there for now. Don't have to deal with all the recruiting hassle. The Mayor's loyalty is Iowa. I doubt if he would stay here long if he had a chance to go back home. I'm hoping that the Timberwolves don't look at him either.

He'd be a great candidate. Family name means so much to Minnesota basketball. He's been training to be a coach for 10 years in the NBA already.

This isnt a "gotchya!" moment for you though. Hoiberg would be an upgrade over Pitino. He has already proven to be a better college coach.

Hoiberg will stay in the NBA as would any sane basketball coach with options between the two.

I would think if he is doing well on the pro level to stay there for now. Don't have to deal with all the recruiting hassle. The Mayor's loyalty is Iowa. I doubt if he would stay here long if he had a chance to go back home. I'm hoping that the Timberwolves don't look at him either.

I sure is preference would be the job he currently has but after getting a taste of the big chair the gophers would be a welcomed constellation prize.

He'd be a great candidate. Family name means so much to Minnesota basketball. He's been training to be a coach for 10 years in the NBA already.

This isnt a "gotchya!" moment for you though. Hoiberg would be an upgrade over Pitino. He has already proven to be a better college coach.

Gotchya moment?[emoji16]
https://youtu.be/Ya2xifdO_l0

Real talk; for all the reasons you mentioned plus he’s getting head coaching experience in the NBA. Assuming he does a respectable job for the wolves, I think he would be more than a viable candidate.

Is this a real post? Hoiberg had a winning conference record, won several Big 12 tournament titles, and was an NCAA tournament regular at Iowa f'ing State. Pitino has the worst conference record of any Gopher coach in my lifetime, has made the NCAA tournament just once and still is looking for his first tournament victory. In what world is Hoiberg not a massive (on paper) upgrade from Richard Pitino? Hoiberg's name is being floated for the UCLA job, Pitino would be fortunate to land the UCSB job if he were available tomorrow.

Top Bottom