Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopher1more View Post
    I was there also in Section114 row 23. I guess Bruce Kaupa's view and mine were about the same and I thought the crowd was pretty decent for a Tuesday 6:00 game. I do think the Free throw shooting did kill the buzz. We also had two guys behind us who did not seem too interested in the game but more interested in taking about work and religion. they did not shut up the whole game. The game was there for the Gophers to claim and keep the crowd into it but they shot themselves in the foot and Maryland could not miss it seemed.
    We were in section 114 row 24. The game was alright but I had a chance to talk with our priest on his thoughts about the pope...
    Hey wait a sec


  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooram View Post
    300 more than the Nebraska game. Getting better!

  3. #18

    Default

    I was there. The crowd as a force to help the squad was terrible. 3-4 times max we got loud when the Gophers were on D. Each time it resulted in a miss or turnover. Maybe we should be better and urge on the men more. My 2 cents


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting.

    My old seats were 114 row 24. I distinctly remember being there with a friend who had just returned from a vacation to Mexico, talking about it during the game and the crabby guy in front of us sitting there not talking to his wife the entire game and then attempting to berate us because we were talking about things other than basketball. Was that you??

    BTW...it's possible to watch the game and talk about other things. For some people, Gopher games are the rare times in a busy winter that they have the opportunity to see each other in person.
    No Bruce, wasn't me. This is the first year for us in these seats. It wasn't just how much they were talking it was how loud and the lack of knowledge of the game. When they were reviewing the call on Gabe for possible flagrant elbow, one of them said if it was a flagrant foul then it would go against Maryland and we would get the ball. I tried to explain it to him but he did not grasp that Flagrant did not mean it was on the other team.

    I don't mind the talking as the guy next to me and his wife and I would discuss the free throw woes and Maryland's near perfect shooting and would hope it did not disturb anyone.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingMyTailOff View Post
    We were in section 114 row 24. The game was alright but I had a chance to talk with our priest on his thoughts about the pope...
    Hey wait a sec
    Now that conversation I might have joined in on. I happen to like the pope.

  6. #21

    Default

    There's only three things I hate in this world:
    1. The people behind me having little knowledge of basketball rules,
    2. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures,
    3. The Dutch.
    Season tickets since 1970 - Born in 1969

    "Bruce, I think you have a future as a twitter translator." - Winnipegopher - 1/7/2011
    "I was lost without your translation Mister Kaupa. Thank you!" - fan of Ray Williams - 1/8/2011

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    13,440

    Default



    This is astounding and depressing. I knew it wasn't great, but this is awful.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
    There's only three things I hate in this world:
    1. The people behind me having little knowledge of basketball rules,
    2. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures,
    3. The Dutch.
    My heritage is Dutch so not sure I can chime in, but it's the same problem at Gopher hockey games. You ALWAYS get the hockey geniuses right behind you that have no clue what they're talking about.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,360
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonin21 View Post
    My heritage is Dutch so not sure I can chime in, but it's the same problem at Gopher hockey games. You ALWAYS get the hockey geniuses right behind you that have no clue what they're talking about.
    This appears to be hockey games everywhere. It always astounds me that people at hockey games have no idea of the goal of puck movement on a power play. Instead they want the puck holder, especially the defenseman, to SHOOT pretty much all the time.

  10. #25

    Default

    "I know I was still a youngster during Clem's days, and the records may not prove it, but seemed like the #Gophers never lost at home and The Barn was feared."

    Never lost at home, never won on the road: The Clem years
    Season tickets since 1970 - Born in 1969

    "Bruce, I think you have a future as a twitter translator." - Winnipegopher - 1/7/2011
    "I was lost without your translation Mister Kaupa. Thank you!" - fan of Ray Williams - 1/8/2011

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain19 View Post
    I was there. The crowd as a force to help the squad was terrible. 3-4 times max we got loud when the Gophers were on D. Each time it resulted in a miss or turnover. Maybe we should be better and urge on the men more. My 2 cents

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I'll bite with my 2 cents...

    When we're trying to make a comeback, get fouled and fail to capitalize, it ruins the vibe.

    Also...I will now rant

    When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, time outs were 100% taken up by the band and cheerleaders with the intent of getting and keeping the crowd going. Now play stops and we have to watch commercials, witness stupid student games (which are just commercials), watch someone win enough hot dogs to choke a horse (a commercial) and watch pre-determined emoji races. All of those things kill any kind of vibe that was going on.
    Season tickets since 1970 - Born in 1969

    "Bruce, I think you have a future as a twitter translator." - Winnipegopher - 1/7/2011
    "I was lost without your translation Mister Kaupa. Thank you!" - fan of Ray Williams - 1/8/2011

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    UW has far better attendance and it is related to winning. When programs win they draw more, when they start to lose they draw less, this is true everywhere.
    How'd that attendance work out for them last week?

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    How'd that attendance work out for them last week?
    What, did they only draw 17,000. Perfect example, winning under Ryan and seats were full. Winning fills seats.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
    I'll bite with my 2 cents...

    When we're trying to make a comeback, get fouled and fail to capitalize, it ruins the vibe.

    Also...I will now rant

    When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, time outs were 100% taken up by the band and cheerleaders with the intent of getting and keeping the crowd going. Now play stops and we have to watch commercials, witness stupid student games (which are just commercials), watch someone win enough hot dogs to choke a horse (a commercial) and watch pre-determined emoji races. All of those things kill any kind of vibe that was going on.
    We had the lead for a large portion of the game. There was no vibe with the lead so there was nothing to kill. We get on the kids for getting down and showing bad body language when something goes wrong. But kids miss free throws and thatís justification for sitting on our hands? I will respectfully disagree that itís up to the team to give us something to cheer about and get behind them. Tight games in conference and the head coach needs to urge the crowd to get loud and help the squad. To me thatís embarrassing. We should all take a look in the mirror and be better. Change our best if you will.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    What, did they only draw 17,000. Perfect example, winning under Ryan and seats were full. Winning fills seats.
    They LOST. Why are you carrying on about winning? They lost at home in front of all their Trump-voting, bigoted, factory-working fans. Sorry that's so hard for you to swallow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •