Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    2,972

    Default Crowd last night

    Haven't sifted through all the posts yet so feel free to merge this into another thread if it's already been discussed at length. But last night was one of the the more pathetic crowds I've experienced for a "big" game at the Barn. I know 6 PM games can be tough with the traffic etc but there were an alarming number of empty seats. I was sat row 9 upper deck and we had NOBODY behind us in our entire section.

    And besides the poor attendance, the overall energy in the building was awful. There was similarly poor attendance at the Nebraska game, but the fans who were there that night really got into the game and made a huge difference. That simply didn't happen last night, and there were a few occasions late first half/early second half where the fans should've been able to get into the game.

    School still being out is an issue, but student section was pathetic in both numbers and energy level as well.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Gopher View Post
    Haven't sifted through all the posts yet so feel free to merge this into another thread if it's already been discussed at length. But last night was one of the the more pathetic crowds I've experienced for a "big" game at the Barn. I know 6 PM games can be tough with the traffic etc but there were an alarming number of empty seats. I was sat row 9 upper deck and we had NOBODY behind us in our entire section.

    And besides the poor attendance, the overall energy in the building was awful. There was similarly poor attendance at the Nebraska game, but the fans who were there that night really got into the game and made a huge difference. That simply didn't happen last night, and there were a few occasions late first half/early second half where the fans should've been able to get into the game.

    School still being out is an issue, but student section was pathetic in both numbers and energy level as well.
    So the worst 7 rows of seats in a crappy seating area were empty?

    I was there...114 row 5...and remember saying to myself that the crowd seemed pretty good for a 6pm game. And I distinctly remember looking up at the area under the flag during the anthem and thinking about the people that are standing in that last row having to look at the flag from behind.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
    So the worst 7 rows of seats in a crappy seating area were empty?

    I was there...114 row 5...and remember saying to myself that the crowd seemed pretty good for a 6pm game. And I distinctly remember looking up at the area under the flag during the anthem and thinking about the people that are standing in that last row having to look at the flag from behind.
    How many were actually in attendance ? Seemed like close to 9000.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    How many were actually in attendance ? Seemed like close to 9000.
    Attendance issues at UMN basketball and football go deeper than not winning enough. Compare Minnesota's historical football attendance with other similarly middling teams (say, Kentucky) and the lack of support is plainly there. Of course it is related to the metropolitan location of the university and competition for the local sports dollar but my sense is that the average citizen of Minnesota is not as supportive of their flagship educational institution as say, the average citizens of Wisconsin or Iowa. This is sort of harsh to say but rings true for many of us who have lived in these states.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Block M View Post
    Attendance issues at UMN basketball and football go deeper than not winning enough. Compare Minnesota's historical football attendance with other similarly middling teams (say, Kentucky) and the lack of support is plainly there. Of course it is related to the metropolitan location of the university and competition for the local sports dollar but my sense is that the average citizen of Minnesota is not as supportive of their flagship educational institution as say, the average citizens of Wisconsin or Iowa. This is sort of harsh to say but rings true for many of us who have lived in these states.
    Iowa and Wisconsin fans haven't had to deal with our athletic department.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    How many were actually in attendance ? Seemed like close to 9000.
    9919 per boxscore
    https://gophersports.com/boxscore.as...41&path=mbball

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooram View Post
    300 more than the Nebraska game. Getting better!

  8. #8

    Default

    1) the more people pay, the more they expect
    2) Failure to convert on free throws killed everyone's energy
    3) People were too discouraged by the flaws in the Wisconsin, didnt work up enough joy to last into this this game

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,531
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Was the crowd 9 of 23 from the line last night, with the best two players going a combined 6 of 17?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Was the crowd 9 of 23 from the line last night, with the best two players going a combined 6 of 17?
    Not sure how that is relevant to the discussion

  11. #11

    Default

    I was there also in Section114 row 23. I guess Bruce Kaupa's view and mine were about the same and I thought the crowd was pretty decent for a Tuesday 6:00 game. I do think the Free throw shooting did kill the buzz. We also had two guys behind us who did not seem too interested in the game but more interested in taking about work and religion. they did not shut up the whole game. The game was there for the Gophers to claim and keep the crowd into it but they shot themselves in the foot and Maryland could not miss it seemed.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopher1more View Post
    I was there also in Section114 row 23. I guess Bruce Kaupa's view and mine were about the same and I thought the crowd was pretty decent for a Tuesday 6:00 game. I do think the Free throw shooting did kill the buzz. We also had two guys behind us who did not seem too interested in the game but more interested in taking about work and religion. they did not shut up the whole game. The game was there for the Gophers to claim and keep the crowd into it but they shot themselves in the foot and Maryland could not miss it seemed.
    Hmm, that's interesting.

    My old seats were 114 row 24. I distinctly remember being there with a friend who had just returned from a vacation to Mexico, talking about it during the game and the crabby guy in front of us sitting there not talking to his wife the entire game and then attempting to berate us because we were talking about things other than basketball. Was that you??

    BTW...it's possible to watch the game and talk about other things. For some people, Gopher games are the rare times in a busy winter that they have the opportunity to see each other in person.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucekaupa View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting.

    My old seats were 114 row 24. I distinctly remember being there with a friend who had just returned from a vacation to Mexico, talking about it during the game and the crabby guy in front of us sitting there not talking to his wife the entire game and then attempting to berate us because we were talking about things other than basketball. Was that you??

    BTW...it's possible to watch the game and talk about other things. For some people, Gopher games are the rare times in a busy winter that they have the opportunity to see each other in person.
    No Bruce, wasn't me. This is the first year for us in these seats. It wasn't just how much they were talking it was how loud and the lack of knowledge of the game. When they were reviewing the call on Gabe for possible flagrant elbow, one of them said if it was a flagrant foul then it would go against Maryland and we would get the ball. I tried to explain it to him but he did not grasp that Flagrant did not mean it was on the other team.

    I don't mind the talking as the guy next to me and his wife and I would discuss the free throw woes and Maryland's near perfect shooting and would hope it did not disturb anyone.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopher1more View Post
    I was there also in Section114 row 23. I guess Bruce Kaupa's view and mine were about the same and I thought the crowd was pretty decent for a Tuesday 6:00 game. I do think the Free throw shooting did kill the buzz. We also had two guys behind us who did not seem too interested in the game but more interested in taking about work and religion. they did not shut up the whole game. The game was there for the Gophers to claim and keep the crowd into it but they shot themselves in the foot and Maryland could not miss it seemed.
    We were in section 114 row 24. The game was alright but I had a chance to talk with our priest on his thoughts about the pope...
    Hey wait a sec

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingMyTailOff View Post
    We were in section 114 row 24. The game was alright but I had a chance to talk with our priest on his thoughts about the pope...
    Hey wait a sec
    Now that conversation I might have joined in on. I happen to like the pope.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •