Crowd last night

We had the lead for a large portion of the game. There was no vibe with the lead so there was nothing to kill. We get on the kids for getting down and showing bad body language when something goes wrong. But kids miss free throws and that’s justification for sitting on our hands? I will respectfully disagree that it’s up to the team to give us something to cheer about and get behind them. Tight games in conference and the head coach needs to urge the crowd to get loud and help the squad. To me that’s embarrassing. We should all take a look in the mirror and be better. Change our best if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the way the reffing was going, Coach should have had his jacket and tie off. And maybe his shoes and socks!:mad:

90% of the bench sideline seats (where I sit with my FIL's seats) is older people that don't want to stand up and yell. The good season tickets are so damn expensive with the required donation. The longtime season ticket holders want to get their value out of them but end up making the place look like a breakfast crowd at bakers square. The crowds on the baseline seats and the corners are always more enthusiastic IMO.

90% of the bench sideline seats (where I sit with my FIL's seats) is older people that don't want to stand up and yell. The good season tickets are so damn expensive with the required donation. The longtime season ticket holders want to get their value out of them but end up making the place look like a breakfast crowd at bakers square. The crowds on the baseline seats and the corners are always more enthusiastic IMO.

I am in my late 70's with great seats but i stand and cheer on the team. Several around me in 106 tell me to sit down ! Other places have got around this by putting the students in the best seats on the sides !

This is on the worthless athletic department. When these folks get too old to go anymore, there isn't anyone waiting to take their tickets because of the prices.

Hockey used to have a huge waiting list. Now they're in major, major trouble since there is no new generation of fans that wants and can afford to pick up ST at the current prices (especially with the lame Big Ten conference).

Whenever the crowd got louder, excited, etc....maryland scored, the gophers had an empty possession or the gophers committed a foul. Hard to get excited and be let down over and over.

I'll bite with my 2 cents...

When we're trying to make a comeback, get fouled and fail to capitalize, it ruins the vibe.

Also...I will now rant

When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, time outs were 100% taken up by the band and cheerleaders with the intent of getting and keeping the crowd going. Now play stops and we have to watch commercials, witness stupid student games (which are just commercials), watch someone win enough hot dogs to choke a horse (a commercial) and watch pre-determined emoji races. All of those things kill any kind of vibe that was going on.
Spot on. The person who came up with the “kiss cam” should be subjected to daily water boarding.

This is on the worthless athletic department. When these folks get too old to go anymore, there isn't anyone waiting to take their tickets because of the prices.

Hockey used to have a huge waiting list. Now they're in major, major trouble since there is no new generation of fans that wants and can afford to pick up ST at the current prices (especially with the lame Big Ten conference).

I blame Jim Delaney and Barry Alvarez for the hockey mess more than the U Athletic Dept, they were the ones behind bailing on the WCHA. Though sticking with the high prices does not help. I was at the Penn St game this past Friday, that crowd could have easily fit in Ridder Arena.

I blame Jim Delaney and Barry Alvarez for the hockey mess more than the U Athletic Dept, they were the ones behind bailing on the WCHA. Though sticking with the high prices does not help. I was at the Penn St game this past Friday, that crowd could have easily fit in Ridder Arena.

Maybe the team not being very good lately has something to do with it as well.

I agree with the WCHA part 100%.

The crowd has been pretty awful for a few years now. Perhaps even since the Clem years, imo. It starts with the student section. Not nearly on par with student sections from many other arenas.

Maybe the team not being very good lately has something to do with it as well.

I agree with the WCHA part 100%.

That goes back to my point about leaving the WCHA and the impact on recruiting. Kids grew up with several intra-state rivalries in addition to North Dakota and Wisconsin. Now it's just Wisconsin.

I am in my late 70's with great seats but i stand and cheer on the team. Several around me in 106 tell me to sit down ! Other places have got around this by putting the students in the best seats on the sides !

I’m 55 and I try to get people around me to stand and cheer to no avail. Only one time in the Maryland game did it work, but it was with great hesitancy and a very slow, reluctant pace in which others stood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It started off poor but seemed to have gotten better after the game started.

Also, I think members of the student section severely overvalue their impact on the outcome of the game.

I remember a few years back someone was going on and on about how awesome their free-throw distractions were. Someone else (oh, me) did an analysis and found that the visiting team actually shot BETTER when facing the student section. I don't think that's true for this year, but it was true for the year in question...and it was hilarious.

I was there also and it was embarrassing how small the crowd was that night. The fall started with the seat licenses and jump in prices. The group I was with dropped our season tickets and I know of at least 5-6 other people who dropped their season tickets. On top of that was the quality of play. It was not one bit enjoyable to watch the Gopher make so many mistakes against PSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am no hockey fan but used to be nice to see the Gophers playing on TV every weekend and seeing a full building.

Having said that, if the Big Ten was so weak, the Gophers should have been winning the Big Ten in dominant fashion in recent years, considering Wisconsin was so far down, and had some big NCAA runs to keep the fans interested. Wining would have solved everything and Lucia failed miserably in recent years.

I do understand the TV situation and loss of the weekend split venue games with Duluth, SCSU and others, but if Lucia had won like he should have this issue would not have been so ugly.

Lucia failed, and Maturi should have moved on from Lucia when he had a chance and things most likely would have been different.

I am no hockey fan but used to be nice to see the Gophers playing on TV every weekend and seeing a full building.

Having said that, if the Big Ten was so weak, the Gophers should have been winning the Big Ten in dominant fashion in recent years, considering Wisconsin was so far down, and had some big NCAA runs to keep the fans interested. Wining would have solved everything and Lucia failed miserably in recent years.

I do understand the TV situation and loss of the weekend split venue games with Duluth, SCSU and others, but if Lucia had won like he should have this issue would not have been so ugly.

Lucia failed, and Maturi should have moved on from Lucia when he had a chance and things most likely would have been different.

There was more to it that "just winning."

Lucia won 4 of the last 5 Big Ten titles and won the WCHA title the two years before that. So, he won a conference title in 6 of his last 7 years, had them in the national title game 2014, the Frozen Four in 2012, and in the NCAA in the final 5 of 6 years prior to retiring in a year he narrowly missed. He is literally the only coach in the history of college hockey to win six conference titles in a six-year span. He had them in two Frozen Fours in that six-year span, too. That isn't easy to do in college hockey. Yet, attendance continued to drop and people were calling for his head. So, there was way more to it than winning. Prices, conference realignment, etc.

And, every game is on TV, just not always the same channel as it used to be. I suppose it shouldn't be that hard to switch on BTN or FSN to figure out which one they are on.

Last edited:

Top Bottom