Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I am no hockey fan but used to be nice to see the Gophers playing on TV every weekend and seeing a full building.

Having said that, if the Big Ten was so weak, the Gophers should have been winning the Big Ten in dominant fashion in recent years, considering Wisconsin was so far down, and had some big NCAA runs to keep the fans interested. Wining would have solved everything and Lucia failed miserably in recent years.

I do understand the TV situation and loss of the weekend split venue games with Duluth, SCSU and others, but if Lucia had won like he should have this issue would not have been so ugly.

Lucia failed, and Maturi should have moved on from Lucia when he had a chance and things most likely would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by oak_street1981 View Post
    I am no hockey fan but used to be nice to see the Gophers playing on TV every weekend and seeing a full building.

Having said that, if the Big Ten was so weak, the Gophers should have been winning the Big Ten in dominant fashion in recent years, considering Wisconsin was so far down, and had some big NCAA runs to keep the fans interested. Wining would have solved everything and Lucia failed miserably in recent years.

I do understand the TV situation and loss of the weekend split venue games with Duluth, SCSU and others, but if Lucia had won like he should have this issue would not have been so ugly.

Lucia failed, and Maturi should have moved on from Lucia when he had a chance and things most likely would have been different.

There was more to it that "just winning."

Lucia won 4 of the last 5 Big Ten titles and won the WCHA title the two years before that. So, he won a conference title in 6 of his last 7 years, had them in the national title game 2014, the Frozen Four in 2012, and in the NCAA in the final 5 of 6 years prior to retiring in a year he narrowly missed. He is literally the only coach in the history of college hockey to win six conference titles in a six-year span. He had them in two Frozen Fours in that six-year span, too. That isn't easy to do in college hockey. Yet, attendance continued to drop and people were calling for his head. So, there was way more to it than winning. Prices, conference realignment, etc.

And, every game is on TV, just not always the same channel as it used to be. I suppose it shouldn't be that hard to switch on BTN or FSN to figure out which one they are on.
    Last edited by tjgopher; 01-11-2019 at 06:31 AM.