I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

The problem I see with Hoiberg is long term program building. I would have concerns with his heart issues and his desire to do the job for 15 years plus. I am so tired of switching coaches. To me, if it comes to it, I'd be excited with Musselman for sure and I'll support whoever they pick, but it needs to be a can't miss guy and a long term hire. The upside with Hoiberg is that I do believe he would sell well with local recruits.

The problem I see with Hoiberg is long term program building. I would have concerns with his heart issues and his desire to do the job for 15 years plus. I am so tired of switching coaches.

15 years?! Man, you're living in the sixties. As of November 2017, there were 21 coaches in all of D1 (about 355 teams) who were at their programs for 15 years or more. Of those, 8 were at power six conference programs.

I'd like to see Musselman follow his dad. He is a tireless worker just like his father. We won't get out worked by anybody.
You'd think Hoiberg would do fine but, but he hasn't been anywhere too long.
I think Alford if interested is a guy I could support.

Gabe and Oturu are a nice foundation, with the new recruit and two transfers. Would Amir, IW stay? Like some people have said Curry can't be healthy, he's sleep walking out there.

I've kind of run out of steam for Richard. Too many things I'd do differently, too often.

Tim Miles does not make my Top 200 list... just sayin'

Last edited:

15 years?! Man, you're living in the sixties. As of November 2017, there were 21 coaches in all of D1 (about 355 teams) who were at their programs for 15 years or more. Of those, 8 were at power six conference programs.

I'm not worried about 15 years. But I am concerned Hoiberg would give us 4-5 years like he did ISU and then go back to the NBA.

I'm not worried about 15 years. But I am concerned Hoiberg would give us 4-5 years like he did ISU and then go back to the NBA.

Those five years were enough to jump start the program into being relevant again after an 8 year period where ISU was in the doldrums. His successor came to a program in a good condition and mostly has maintained their status. After Pitino, this program probably needs to hire someone of enough stature to jump start this program again.

Here's what I don't want.

I don't want to change coaches.
I don't want 3 or more of our players to transfer out because of a coaching change.
I don't want to go backwards because of a coaching change
I don't want to have a year with under 10 wins because of a coaching change(PSU)
I don't want to start the recruiting process in MN over....
I don't want 2-3 years of rebuilding.....
I don't want to change for the sake of change.....

what I do want
Pitino to stay(in case you didn't know) :)

I don't want 3 or more of our players to transfer out because of a coaching change.
I don't want to have a year with under 10 wins because of a coaching change(PSU)

what I do want

I want him to get it done too but curious about your point number 3, go backwards to where ? Where have we gone forward to ?

what I do want

I don't think we would lose more than one to transfer -- IW. And I feel it's possible that would happen whether there is a change or not. Who else do you think might leave? I don't see any other obvious candidates.

Hire the right coach, and you wouldn't need to worry about 2-3 years of rebuilding, or going backward. Not to mention -- have we gone forward all that much, if at all, in the past six years?

I kind of agree about starting the recruiting process over. Though I don't know much about recruiting, but it doesn't seem like we have a lot to lose in 2019 recruiting. Are we considered the leader for any of the 2020 guys? Would recruiting really take that much of a hit, even in the short term? But yea, I see your point. New relationships would have to b developed.

100% agree with change for the sake of change. We've seen where that can lead. I trust Coyle to survey the landscape before actually making a move.

I don't think we would lose more than one to transfer -- IW. And I feel it's possible that would happen whether there is a change or not. Who else do you think might leave? I don't see any other obvious candidates.

Hire the right coach, and you wouldn't need to worry about 2-3 years of rebuilding, or going backward. Not to mention -- have we gone forward all that much, if at all, in the past six years?

I kind of agree about starting the recruiting process over. Though I don't know much about recruiting, but it doesn't seem like we have a lot to lose in 2019 recruiting. Are we considered the leader for any of the 2020 guys? Would recruiting really take that much of a hit, even in the short term? But yea, I see your point. New relationships would have to b developed.

100% agree with change for the sake of change. We've seen where that can lead. I trust Coyle to survey the landscape before actually making a move.

I know Coyle isn't the most popular person, but for unknown reason I do trust his judgement and if he makes a move, it's with a coach or two in mind and sure he can get his man (or woman, but let's be honest)

I want him to get it done too but curious about your point number 3, go backwards to where ? Where have we gone forward to ?
It can get worse...look at PSU.... IL... Indiana

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Even Ohio State has gone Backwards

Starting from when?

Holtmann is 20-9 in B1G play.

Matta was 18-18 his final 2 yrs in B1G play.
Currently 5-6 and 15-7

Last year 15-3 and 25-9

Seems Backwards to me

Currently 5-6 and 15-7

Last year 15-3 and 25-9

Seems Backwards to me

God, you really are something (and not in a good way). That's nothing compared to our step backward from 2017 to 2018. Or how about from 25 wins to 18 wins to 8 wins over Pitino's first three years.

I do trust his judgement and if he makes a move, it's with a coach or two in mind and sure he can get his man (or woman, but let's be honest)

Well, that has been tested. The San Antonio Spurs had a female assistant coach (maybe still do) and she was the head coach for their summer league team a few years back.

Currently 5-6 and 15-7

Last year 15-3 and 25-9

Seems Backwards to me

I had thought the initial discussion was about going backwards after a coaching change. Ohio St missed the NCAAs in Matta's final two seasons, and are well on their way to making the dance 2 years in a row since he left. Holtmann has the program in good shape. I don't think anyone would say the program has gone backwards since he took over.

what I do want

1) Who cares
2) We only had one transfer out last time (Joe Coleman)
3) Don't worry, there isn't much further back to go
4) you already had one worse than that with the current coach
5) What makes you think our 1 recruit won't come here? What makes you so sure that a new coach couldn't bring in better players than Pitino in the spring?
6) Pitino had 3 rebuilding type years in his first five seasons and we'll see how this year ends.
7) You misinterpret the situation. My guess is you're the type of person who always goes to the same place every time: same restaurant, same bar, same grocery store, etc.

Looks to me like Ohio state has a chance to finish 5-4 their last 9. That would make them 20-11 and most likely an Ncaa team. That would be 2 years for holtmann and 2 ncaa appearances. Sounds trending up to me. They're not gonna go 15-3 every year in big ten. They have a stud coming in next year from illinois. Holtmann has things going right direction.

Well, that has been tested. The San Antonio Spurs had a female assistant coach (maybe still do) and she was the head coach for their summer league team a few years back.

I meant as a HC for college mens team

I think it'll eventually happen, I don't think MN will be the one to break the barrier with the next hire

I'm not big on any of the names listed outside of Musselman

Saunders-Have you watched wolves? Can he recruit?
Hoiberg-Doesn't like recruiting. I would think he'd do what he did at ISU, recruit transfers
Alford-not a fan

Tony Bennet only makes 2.4 million (including bonuses). I wont put % on chances, I realize it's very low, but I wouldn't be against offering him $$$$

Steve Wojciechowski-Marquette-Can certainly pay him more than Marquette. He knows Midwest

I'm not big on any of the names listed outside of Musselman

Saunders-Have you watched wolves? Can he recruit?
Hoiberg-Doesn't like recruiting. I would think he'd do what he did at ISU, recruit transfers
Alford-not a fan

Tony Bennet only makes 2.4 million (including bonuses). I wont put % on chances, I realize it's very low, but I wouldn't be against offering him $$$$

Steve Wojciechowski-Marquette-Can certainly pay him more than Marquette. He knows Midwest

Trolling BuiltBadger. I like it.

The big names I would take a shot at our Mike Brey, Shaka Smart and Chris Beard. Brey is going through a down period and might be ready for a change. Shaka is not really doing any better at Texas than Barnes did. As for Beard, I know he "loves" it there, but it's still TT. All are long shots and would require big $$ to get them to even consider it though.

Last edited:

By what metric is Shaka doing better than Barnes did the last few years at Texas?

He isn't. The statement was so laughably bad that I can't believe he said it. Barnes went to three Elite 8s (including a Final Four) and won more than 66% of his conference games at Texas. Smart has won less than 43% of his conference games, hasn't made it out of the first round, and is barely above .500 for the season in his 4th year.

LOL. Literally. This statement is a joke, right?

How? I suppose you can say he's doing worse? If they make it this year, that will be 3 NCAA's in 4 years. So far two first round exits.

Barnes last 4 years he made the NCAA 3 times and lost in the first round 2 out of those 3 years.

Seems pretty similar to me?

He isn't. The statement was so laughably bad that I can't believe he said it. Barnes went to three Elite 8s (including a Final Four) and won more than 66% of his conference games at Texas. Smart has won less than 43% of his conference games, hasn't made it out of the first round, and is barely above .500 for the season in his 4th year.

I know nuance is not your thing. But the end of Barnes tenure (which is why he got fired) and the beginning of Shaka's tenure have been similar. I think it's fairly obvious that's what I meant.

How? I suppose you can say he's doing worse? If they make it this year, that will be 3 NCAA's in 4 years. So far two first round exits.

Barnes last 4 years he made the NCAA 3 times and lost in the first round 2 out of those 3 years.

Seems pretty similar to me?

Their tenures are very similar - if you ignore Barnes' first 13 years there, not to mention lopping off a Tournament appearance and about 10 conference wins from his last 4 seasons.

I know nuance is not your thing. But the end of Barnes tenure (which is why he got fired) and the beginning of Shaka's tenure have been similar. I think it's fairly obvious that's what I meant.

I do just fine with nuance, thanks. The comparison overall is laughably horrible, and even looking at just the last four years, it's still terrible. They're not that similar.

Barnes' last 4 years: 3 Tournament appearances, one second round appearance, 80-37 overall (.584), 35-37 conference (.486).
Smart's first almost-4 years: 2 Tournament appearances, 0 wins, 62-60 (.508), 27-36 conference (.429).

It wasn't at all obvious "that's what you meant." If you meant to say the end of Barnes' tenure (which, again, remains a terrible comparison), then say so. It isn't hard to say what you mean.

I do just fine with nuance, thanks. The comparison overall is laughably horrible, and even looking at just the last four years, it's still terrible. They're not that similar.

Barnes' last 4 years: 3 Tournament appearances, one second round appearance, 80-37 overall (.584), 35-37 conference (.486).
Smart's first almost-4 years: 2 Tournament appearances, 0 wins, 62-60 (.508), 27-36 conference (.429).

It wasn't at all obvious "that's what you meant." If you meant to say the end of Barnes' tenure (which, again, remains a terrible comparison), then say so. It isn't hard to say what you mean.

No one else struggled with it. And you didn't either. But give yourself a point.

Top Bottom