I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I'd still go Musselman, Miles, Howland, Oats.

Not a bad idea about Jason but pretty sure he will wait it out and get a ACC job. I was part of a search referral here years ago but Mr. Maturi did not like the method that Richter used. They have always been about the press conference, short term season tickets and short term booster money. It was never about a vision for a brand. First comes some losing to build a foundation the right way. That establishes a culture of virtues you hang your hat on everyday. From there you attract better players, better students, better teams and fans flock to see it. Never compromise character, never compromise defense and conditioning, they go with high character. Never bypass taking care of the ball and seeking good shots. Jerry West says it is the best way.

Dane Fife has a great deal of head coaching experience.

Dane Fife career head coaching record................ 82-97 in 6 years at IPFW. They are 126 - 85 since he left. No thanks.

Dane Fife career head coaching record................ 82-97 in 6 years at IPFW. They are 126 - 85 since he left. No thanks.

Let's give that some perspective.

IPFW was was 26-89 (22.6%) in their four years as a D1 program before he got there.

The program's record improved every single season he was there.

He never finished lower than 5th in the conference.

He left on his own to become an assistant at Michigan State. (Was not fired.)

Fife is not my first or second choice, but we could do a lot worse.

Not a bad idea about Jason but pretty sure he will wait it out and get a ACC job. I was part of a search referral here years ago but Mr. Maturi did not like the method that Richter used. They have always been about the press conference, short term season tickets and short term booster money. It was never about a vision for a brand. First comes some losing to build a foundation the right way. That establishes a culture of virtues you hang your hat on everyday. From there you attract better players, better students, better teams and fans flock to see it. Never compromise character, never compromise defense and conditioning, they go with high character. Never bypass taking care of the ball and seeking good shots. Jerry West says it is the best way.

Hard to argue with any of this for sure.

I have to wonder if Mike Brey wouldn't welcome a change of scenery. 19 years. They are about to miss the tournament for the 2nd year in a row. I would have consider him unrealistic but I'm not sure now. I would put him at the top of the list.

Musselman would be a dream hire. I doubt we can convince him to leave.

I’d rather have a guy I’ve never heard of than Howland or Miles.

Miles is having a tough year, but I think he would do well here with far more talent than he can get at Nebraska.

What's the argument against Howland? Won at Pitt. Won at UCLA. Winning at freaking Mississippi State. It didn't end great at UCLA for various reasons. But the guy can coach.

If a move is made Coyle will go with a younger coach unless its Musselman.

No way do I see Howland being considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musselman would be a dream hire. I doubt we can convince him to leave.

I disagree. Offer more money, his dad coached here, and it's the Big 10.

Oh wait............this shy, timid, safe space state can't deal with what happened when his dad was here so that will eliminate him.

Miles is having a tough year, but I think he would do well here with far more talent than he can get at Nebraska.

What's the argument against Howland? Won at Pitt. Won at UCLA. Winning at freaking Mississippi State. It didn't end great at UCLA for various reasons. But the guy can coach.

He is winning at Mississippi State?
4th season.
Hasn’t gone over .500 in the conference
1 NIT appearance
0 NCAA appearances

26-37 in a mediocre SEC.

61 years old.

Getting fired and then doing that isn’t impressive enough to take a guy In his 60s IMO

If a move is made Coyle will go with a younger coach unless its Musselman.

No way do I see Howland being considered.

Purely because of his age? Who cares? Our recent coaches are here 6-8 years. He's 62.

He is winning at Mississippi State?
4th season.
Hasn’t gone over .500 in the conference
1 NIT appearance
0 NCAA appearances

26-37 in a mediocre SEC.

61 years old.

Getting fired and then doing that isn’t impressive enough to take a guy In his 60s IMO

He took over a dumpster fire, had them .500 in the conference by year 3 and had them ranked most of this season. Mississippi State is a tougher place to win than MN.

He took over a dumpster fire, had them .500 in the conference by year 3 and had them ranked most of this season. Mississippi State is a tougher place to win than MN.

You want to hire a 61 year old that is going to take 3 years to build us into a 7 seed?

I’m out.

Purely because of his age? Who cares? Our recent coaches are here 6-8 years. He's 62.

Because if a change is made I excepted it to be a younger coach.

Because if a change is made I excepted it to be a younger coach.

I'm fine with Musselman, though he's barely younger. Maybe Oats. I don't want another random crap-shoot 30-year old.

You want to hire a 61 year old that is going to take 3 years to build us into a 7 seed?

I’m out.

Why will it take 3 years? This "have to start over" narrative is silly. Oturu, Kalshuer and Omersa are local kids. They're not all going to bolt. Carr and Willis just sat out. They're not going to bolt.

You might lose IW, and perhaps Coffey would go pro (though he would be foolish to do so IMO.) It wouldn't be some massive Dan Monson 2000 re-set.

Why will it take 3 years? This "have to start over" narrative is silly. Oturu, Kalshuer and Omersa are local kids. They're not all going to bolt. Carr and Willis just sat out. They're not going to bolt.

You might lose IW, and perhaps Coffey would go pro (though he would be foolish to do so IMO.) It wouldn't be some massive Dan Monson 2000 re-set.

It’s taken him 3 years to get Mississippi State going.
Oturu is good.
Coffey is good next year.

We have no point guard.
We have Washington and a guy who played for an 0-18 ACC team.

We have no bigs other than oturu who are any good.
Curry is horrible defensively. Omursa is raw and couldn’t get better.

Gabe could be a good 5th best player. Issue is he has to be our third best player.

I have no doubt he could make us average fast. We are already average though. By the time we got good he would be retiring. If you’re looking to build a program I think you need either a coach who can win now or a coach who is going to be here a while.
How many coaches are currently over 66?

Even if he is good, can he win a conference championship before he retires? Is that the goal?

Last edited:

It’s taken him 3 years to get Mississippi State going.
Oturu is good.
Coffey is good next year.

We have no point guard.
We have Washington and a guy who played for an 0-18 ACC team.

We have no bigs other than oturu who are any good.
Curry is horrible defensively. Omursa is raw and couldn’t get better.

Gabe could be a good 5th best player. Issue is he has to be our third best player.

i guess I don't see why the situation is somehow more tolerable with random 30 year-old coach from the MAC. I'll take a proven winner for the next 6-8 years rather than worrying about 10 years out. Howland is 60 games over .500 in the Big East/ACC/SEC over the last 20 years.

i guess I don't see why the situation is somehow more tolerable with random 30 year-old coach from the MAC. I'll take a proven winner for the next 6-8 years rather than worrying about 10 years out. Howland is 60 games over .500 in the Big East/ACC/SEC over the last 20 years.

Over the last 3.5 years he hasn’t had a single season over .500

I also don’t think you get howland for 6-8
I think you get him for 4-6

Its all speculation. I might be wrong.
My point is I wouldn’t be at all excited for howland.
But I haven’t watched a single ms state game this year.

Last edited:

Over the last 3.5 years he hasn’t had a single season over .500

I also don’t think you get howland for 6-8
I think you get him for 4-6

I know we don't look down on many programs, but I don't think you appreciate what a dumpster fire Miss. State basketball is. If he had Penn State 9-9 in year 3 and ranked in the top 25 in year 4, you'd be impressed. Same difference.

I know we don't look down on many programs, but I don't think you appreciate what a dumpster fire Miss. State basketball is. If he had Penn State 9-9 in year 3 and ranked in the top 25 in year 4, you'd be impressed. Same difference.

If penn State played in the SEc they might be 9-9 this year

If penn State played in the SEc they might be 9-9 this year

And last year, the B1G was so unimpressive that Nebraska went 13-5 and didn't make the tournament. The SEC sent 8 teams.

Last edited:

And last year, the B1G was so unimpressive that Nebraska went 13-5 and didn't make the tournament. The SEC sent 8 teams.

Yup.
And last year was howland’s best year at MSU and didn’t make tourney and weren’t one of those 8 teams.
And I didn’t say anything about last years big ten.

Musselman or Hoiberg would both be good choices if they decided to come. I'd take either.

Top Bottom