I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Because we didn't make a move after last season, Musselman may be out of reach. Rumors are strong now that Arizona is going to try to part with Coach Miller (likely trying to make a "for cause" case by suspending his assistant) and UCLA will be interested too if they can't get one of their dream candidates. The good news is that there seems to be little buzz anymore about Hoiberg/UCLA. He seems like a Coyle type hire to me and would bring a much better offensive system to Minnesota. The issue with Hoiberg that will trouble builtbadgers is that his Cyclone teams were not exactly powerhouses on the defensive end.

Not at all, they were not powerhouses period.

Not at all, they were not powerhouses period.

That is true. After year 1, he finished tied 3rd, tied 4th, tied 3rd, tied 2nd in his final 4 seasona. He won two Big 12 tournament championships in that time. He also went to a Sweet 16. They weren't a powerhouse, but that level of success would be refreshing. I would certainly take someone who could/would do better. Maybe you have answered this, but do you have a top choice? I don't know enough about the assistants under successful coaches to comment on their potential for success and that goes for most of the mid major head coaches as well.

That is true. After year 1, he finished tied 3rd, tied 4th, tied 3rd, tied 2nd in his final 4 seasona. He won two Big 12 tournament championships in that time. He also went to a Sweet 16. They weren't a powerhouse, but that level of success would be refreshing. I would certainly take someone who could/would do better. Maybe you have answered this, but do you have a top choice? I don't know enough about the assistants under successful coaches to comment on their potential for success and that goes for most of the mid major head coaches as well.

Built has said top 4 in conference is the standard. Hmmm.

As a pro-Pitino Gopher fan... I too have slipped a bit, but still would like to see him coach one more year.
That being said. I hope we all choke on our words and they win the next 6!!!

In the end, I am a Gopher fan first!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Recruiting here would be much easier, especially now that he can sell his nba experience. Hoiberg would be a home run. We could try to hire the next Tony Bennett, but that’s a crap shoot ... 10x more likely that whomever you pick is the next Monson.

Shaka would not be a good hire. He is being exposed in the B12. Few coaches have done less with more.

It’s a Musselman or Hoiberg for me, period.

As a pro-Pitino Gopher fan... I too have slipped a bit, but still would like to see him coach one more year.
That being said. I hope we all choke on our words and they win the next 6!!!

In the end, I am a Gopher fan first!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AMEN BROTHER!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Built has said top 4 in conference is the standard. Hmmm.

Since 1982, we have a grand total of 3 4th place finishes in conference that weren't wiped away. And no finishes higher.

7th or 8th is the standard here.

I believe Iowa State would have gone to at least the elite 8 had Georges Niang not been injured in the first tournament game. And, anything like 3rd, tied 4th, tied 3rd, tied 2nd and two conference tournament championships would seem utterly fantastic for this program now.

I think Musselman is gettable, if we decide it's time for a reset I would hope to make a bigger play, maybe Dan Majerle? What has been done at Grand Canyon is unique, if he could replicate that atmosphere in the barn I'd be all for it.

Your right, that level of success would be fun here. If he goes, i want Muss.

Since 1982, we have a grand total of 3 4th place finishes in conference that weren't wiped away. And no finishes higher.

Is PITINO AVERAGING 8th or so ? 8th is the standard but it should not be the accepted standard.

I'd take a look at Ben Jacobson, SDSU coach and Nate Oates.

On another note, if Pitino stays after this year, then he gets two. The 2020 in-state talent is too good to fire Pitino after next year. He either goes after this year or give him two so we get some of the local talent to stay home.

I'm now all in on sacking Pitino after watching the highlights.

First off, WTF were we doing in a F'ing man to man with our guards against their guards? They just blew by the first line of defense. And OMG we stayed in it with Stull in the game and had him guarding the quicker guard! Unbelievable! Watson was like 6 for 37 in the last four games and 1 for 18 from 3. Why the hell, didn't we pack it in and start collecting bricks? Pitino needs to play a defense his team can execute.

Second off, those refs came straight from New Orleans.

I think Musselman is gettable, if we decide it's time for a reset I would hope to make a bigger play, maybe Dan Majerle? What has been done at Grand Canyon is unique, if he could replicate that atmosphere in the barn I'd be all for it.

That's the first time I've heard Majerle mentioned and now I'm wondering why no one has before. He should be receiving lots of interest.

First comes some losing to build a foundation the right way. That establishes a culture of virtues you hang your hat on everyday. From there you attract better players, better students, better teams and fans flock to see it. Never compromise character, never compromise defense and conditioning, they go with high character. Never bypass taking care of the ball and seeking good shots. Jerry West says it is the best way.

That sounds great, but plenty of coaches do it that way and never win. Tubby did this here and did not win.

Just pointing out that Built says one thing at one time, then contradicts himself soon thereafter. The ISU example is another.

That's the first time I've heard Majerle mentioned and now I'm wondering why no one has before. He should be receiving lots of interest.

yes very interesting name. but he isn't leaving the southwest. im surprised he hasn't popped up as a name for UCLA

I think Hoiberg makes the most sense. Hopefully Coyle has at least reached out to his agent to gauge interest.

With him being out of a job at the moment, it could be a quick process and we wouldn't have to end up waiting for other teams seasons to end before talking to other coaches.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Just pointing out that Built says one thing at one time, then contradicts himself soon thereafter. The ISU example is another.

Said ISU was not elite, not tremendous but obviously better than we have now.

Said ISU was not elite, not tremendous but obviously better than we have now.

You have referenced top 4 finishes in many of your posts, equating to the standard you support. Now you change.......

Cheryl Reeve?

This would be strange, but original. Not sure how she would do, but there is a chance that she does well in recruiting. These days everything is moving left, towards women, etc.
Might be worth a try seriously.

Cheryl Reeve?

This would be strange, but original. Not sure how she would do, but there is a chance that she does well in recruiting. These days everything is moving left, towards women, etc.

:rolleyes:

You have referenced top 4 finishes in many of your posts, equating to the standard you support. Now you change.......

I support it here since it is so much better than what we have done but it must lead to the elite level of winning at least one conference title. I was offering my opinion that Fred did not reach elite status at ISU.

Cheryl Reeve?

Are you confusing Valentine's Day with April Fools Day?

Top Bottom