View Poll Results: Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eric Musselman

    51 54.84%
  • Ryan Saunders

    7 7.53%
  • Fred Hoiberg

    34 36.56%
  • Steve Alford

    1 1.08%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 299
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Correct MN is a tough job too. I don't see that many 5 and 4 stars on Nebraskas team through 247's recruiting. Miles gets guys to play hard and I think he'd have better luck getting them to MN. Plus I know coaches in the state love him. I think Pitino has done a really good job of adjusting to a job that he didn't fit into. Howeda is right on Beard and Brey being a dream candidates on that I forgot. They are both excellent.
    Nebraska has one 5 star and four 4 stars. They have great talent. Coaches hardly ever move in conference. Brey is not leaving the ACC and ND. Beard can get UCLA if he wants it. He would be tremendous at Minnesota and would do it with defense as he knows it is the only way to build up in a power 5 conference. Research reveals every single build job that achieved sustained success at a non blue blood did it with a culture of defense.


  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Nebraska has one 5 star and four 4 stars. They have great talent. Coaches hardly ever move in conference. Brey is not leaving the ACC and ND. Beard can get UCLA if he wants it. He would be tremendous at Minnesota and would do it with defense as he knows it is the only way to build up in a power 5 conference. Research reveals every single build job that achieved sustained success at a non blue blood did it with a culture of defense.
    I forgot the Copeland was so highly regarded/rated. Either way, what's your point? They are all mostly graduating too for the most part and it may be time for him to bounce. are you wanting me to move miles off the reasonable list? It was well known that this was his dream job for many years. That may have changed and that's fine, he has that right. Also I said Brey would be a dream candidate. Hoiberg doesn't agree with you about building a team on defense, but for the most part with programs in the greater Midwest it's smarter to build around defense. Love to see where the research is though as I enjoy reading that kind of stuff.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    I forgot the Copeland was so highly regarded/rated. Either way, what's your point? They are all mostly graduating too for the most part and it may be time for him to bounce. are you wanting me to move miles off the reasonable list? It was well known that this was his dream job for many years. That may have changed and that's fine, he has that right. Also I said Brey would be a dream candidate. Hoiberg doesn't agree with you about building a team on defense, but for the most part with programs in the greater Midwest it's smarter to build around defense. Love to see where the research is though as I enjoy reading that kind of stuff.
    I think the Gophers can do a lot better than Miles, he just does not win much. The data is in every programs win loss record over 20 years and the defensive rankings. Pull our own and it is truly a horror show on the won loss under Pitino when giving up 75 or more. It is all in total efficiency . Programs never turn the corner and win at the top of a conference consistently without playing great defense. Great coaches have been using the analytics for a long time now. Most programs try to do it with offense and year after year and coach after coach fail. The most successful coaches in this program were the best defensive coaches we have had.

  4. #19

    Default

    Hoiberg has the highest floor to me...maybe Musselman has the highest ceiling. The best scenario for Minnesota right now is for the UCLA boosters to get their (alleged) wish which is Rick Pitino. In that scenario, both Musselman and Hoiberg are on the market this Spring. This would be a great time for Musselman to leave Nevada as he's losing a lot off this years team. It would be pretty crazy if he ends up following Pitino here as he was reportedly the next interview for the Gopher job the last time it opened after Pitino. I'd be really optimistic about the future of Gopher basketball if either one is our next head coach.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I think the Gophers can do a lot better than Miles, he just does not win much. The data is in every programs win loss record over 20 years and the defensive rankings. Pull our own and it is truly a horror show on the won loss under Pitino when giving up 75 or more. It is all in total efficiency . Programs never turn the corner and win at the top of a conference consistently without playing great defense. Great coaches have been using the analytics for a long time now. Most programs try to do it with offense and year after year and coach after coach fail. The most successful coaches in this program were the best defensive coaches we have had.
    I'm not disagreeing with you about being defense oriented. I was hoping you had some valid data or links to share so I could see it as well. I'm a defense oriented guy myself. Also our most successful coaches were ones who cheated.

    Now a fair discussion is whether Miles is a valid/good option and a proven winner. We could have a fair debate on that. I know his W-L record is against him as I mentioned in my very first post. Every place he's been, he's made better is what I always liked about him. I also know that this job means a lot to him, similar to what ISU meant to Hoiberg. I'm just not sold Musselman would come here. I think he'd like to stay out west, but money talks so who knows. I'd just like to know the list of guys who are significantly better, but are reasonable for us to hire.

  6. #21

    Default

    Go to Kenpom and they have every year. There will be a direct correlation between defensive efficiency and winning in the power 5 conferences. As for Miles, he will not change jobs within the conference but he has had a long damn time at Nebraska without getting anything significantly won. Think Muss is way better but we have a coach. The list better than Miles is not applicable because he is not available and neither are they. At one time the Hurleys were, so was Holtman, Mack, Archie Miller but we are always late in recognizing true greatness. Could have had Buzz Williams. Dan Fife would be a great get.

  7. #22

    Default

    Not sure about Saunders. Musselman would be intriguing. Alford and Hoiberg bring baggage imo.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Go to Kenpom and they have every year. There will be a direct correlation between defensive efficiency and winning in the power 5 conferences. As for Miles, he will not change jobs within the conference but he has had a long damn time at Nebraska without getting anything significantly won. Think Muss is way better but we have a coach. The list better than Miles is not applicable because he is not available and neither are they. At one time the Hurleys were, so was Holtman, Mack, Archie Miller but we are always late in recognizing true greatness. Could have had Buzz Williams. Dan Fife would be a great get.
    Kenpom is good stuff, but some of that is the chicken or the egg conversation and it's also can be biased due to how different conferences play. For example, the Pac 12 has a bunch of teams that are rated high, but that conference is garage.

    My pushback about Miles not winning a damn thing, is that he has won just as much as anyone else has done there. I look at Nebraska that is at it's ceiling where it is. MN has a higher ceiling, but different issues with Apathy being #1. I think Miles is someone who is great at breaking that. I know you mention the in conference argument, and the majority of the time why that doesn't happen is because it never wins the press conference. Also I he would've taken the MN job last time if he'd been at Nebraska for more than one year. He just didn't feel right about it.

    Our new AD is a little better at finding talented young coaches I believe too. You are so right about Norwood or Maturi missing the ball on young talented guys. Fife is an asst. that I'd like, but he must be waiting for Izzo to leave. Appreciate the banter sir. Good convo

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Willmar, MN
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EG#9 View Post
    Hoiberg has the highest floor to me...maybe Musselman has the highest ceiling. The best scenario for Minnesota right now is for the UCLA boosters to get their (alleged) wish which is Rick Pitino. In that scenario, both Musselman and Hoiberg are on the market this Spring. This would be a great time for Musselman to leave Nevada as he's losing a lot off this years team. It would be pretty crazy if he ends up following Pitino here as he was reportedly the next interview for the Gopher job the last time it opened after Pitino. I'd be really optimistic about the future of Gopher basketball if either one is our next head coach.
    No chance whatsoever Hoiberg is still on the market in spring. He will have a number of NBA coaching, gm and front office opportunities in addition to college coaching ones.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Kenpom is good stuff, but some of that is the chicken or the egg conversation and it's also can be biased due to how different conferences play. For example, the Pac 12 has a bunch of teams that are rated high, but that conference is garage.

    My pushback about Miles not winning a damn thing, is that he has won just as much as anyone else has done there. I look at Nebraska that is at it's ceiling where it is. MN has a higher ceiling, but different issues with Apathy being #1. I think Miles is someone who is great at breaking that. I know you mention the in conference argument, and the majority of the time why that doesn't happen is because it never wins the press conference. Also I he would've taken the MN job last time if he'd been at Nebraska for more than one year. He just didn't feel right about it.

    Our new AD is a little better at finding talented young coaches I believe too. You are so right about Norwood or Maturi missing the ball on young talented guys. Fife is an asst. that I'd like, but he must be waiting for Izzo to leave. Appreciate the banter sir. Good convo
    Always enjoy the back and forth especially since so many that do not like what is posted simply resort to name calling. FYI, i think the top rated team from the pack on Kenpom is Oregon at 44 ! Certainly nobody rated highly. There is no bias in Kenpom, it measures exactly how efficient you are on both offense and defense and adjusts for schedule. How efficiently you play shows how well you play.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralGopher View Post
    No chance whatsoever Hoiberg is still on the market in spring. He will have a number of NBA coaching, gm and front office opportunities in addition to college coaching ones.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Pitino does very well in the conference still and keeps his job. The real question is can he build a elite program that wins conference titles, gets to sweet 16's, elite 8's and further if things go your way. That has been done elsewhere.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I think Pitino does very well in the conference still and keeps his job. The real question is can he build a elite program that wins conference titles, gets to sweet 16's, elite 8's and further if things go your way. That has been done elsewhere.
    If Matthew comes to the Gophers he could.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    13,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Not sure about Saunders. Musselman would be intriguing. Alford and Hoiberg bring baggage imo.
    Alford way more than Hoiberg, in my opinion. The way he handled the Pierre Pierce situation makes him a non-starter in any hiring situation as far as I'm concerned.

  14. #29

    Default

    An Alford hire would have me running and screaming, and not in a good way.

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    If Matthew comes to the Gophers he could.
    Prediction:

    Matthew does not come here and his brother transfers next year from the gophers to be with the brother.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •