I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I mentioned earlier that Nate Oats would probably be my first choice. Another coach I'd be very interested in is TJ Otzelberger from South Dakota St. He was one of Hoiberg's top assistants at Iowa St, and SDSU is on its way to winning the Summit league for the 3rd time in his 3 years there.

I'm curious on TJ as well. He has led SDSU to success but Nagy didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare either. Does anyone have any insight on what his strengths are? Is he a player development type of guy? Or really strong Xs and Os? I really don't know anything about the Jackrabbits except that Mike Daum is a machine.

Relationship guy, offensive freedom. Concern would be dreadful defense as no one comes into this conference and knocks off those top 5 programs with a high powered offense because they all fire on defense . Purdue may be a exception this year but that is it.

Havingfollowed Iowa State basketball(daughter attended) TJ Otzelberger was Holiberg number 1 recruiter. He was also Prohm(present coach) top recruiter. So I would say that is his strength. If we can’t get Fred, TJ would be a great second choice.

I don't know why Coyle wouldn't make a change regardless if Gophs get to 20 wins unless he's satisfied with more of the same. Pitino is not going to get Gophs to the next level.

I don't know why Coyle wouldn't make a change regardless if Gophs get to 20 wins unless he's satisfied with more of the same. Pitino is not going to get Gophs to the next level.

He has to be able to get the guy he will do better, not can do better. Otherwise the program could do even worse . Is that even possible ?

He has to be able to get the guy he will do better, not can do better. Otherwise the program could do even worse . Is that even possible ?

In Pitino's 6 year tenure, the only teams with a worse Big 10 record over that span are Rutgers and Penn State.

So NO, I don't think it's possible to do worse.

Are people really afraid of doing worse? LMAO

I'd hate to risk getting out of this current safe zone we are in.

Last edited:

I'm curious on TJ as well. He has led SDSU to success but Nagy didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare either. Does anyone have any insight on what his strengths are? Is he a player development type of guy? Or really strong Xs and Os? I really don't know anything about the Jackrabbits except that Mike Daum is a machine.

I'm an SDSU alumnus, but can't ever watch their games. So about all I know is that he has Mike Daum.

However, what is often overlooked is that his second leading scorer (and 2nd in conference) is a sophomore averaging over 20ppg, and he is TJ's recruit.

In Pitino's 6 year tenure, the only teams with a worse Big 10 record over that span are Rutgers and Penn State.

Well said GT. It's apparent Lil' Ricky aint the guy. He had one nice run in B10 where they made their only NCAA tourney...only to get
bounced by something called Mid Tenn. St.

Other than that, we've been historically bad for 5 years.

"It isn't possible to do worse - except for the teams that are doing worse."

There is so much playing around with numbers going on here to fit the narrative- fire Pitino. It may well happen. But the AD is not going to fall for dishonest statistics. He is going to evaluate what the coach has done under the circumstances. Last year will be a throw away in any fair minded person's evaluation, because of the things that happened that no coach could have controlled.

- he is going to evaluate where the fan base stands- if the season were to end today, Pitino is gone. If he gets to the tourney, mid season hand wringing disappears and his 6 years will be right in there with other past coaches are our national power of a program
- he's going to evaluate recruiting and existing roster - I think Pitino is fine here assuming he can show that he is in good shape with Spring guys
- he is going to evaluate buyout costs and chances of landing a target coach and how much that costs
- and he is going to look at academics and other issues, which is a win for Pitino

Pitino will win somewhere and I think he will win big. We hired a 30 year old guy well before his prime and the plan was to grow with him. The AD understands that and it will be more than just the "what is the record the past 6 years" logic which is flyover thinking.

Last edited:

There is so much playing around with numbers going on here to fit the narrative- fire Pitino. It may well happen. But the AD is not going to fall for dishonest statistics. He is going to evaluate what the coach has done under the circumstances. Last year will be a throw away in any fair minded person's evaluation, because of the things that happened that no coach could have controlled.

- he is going to evaluate where the fan base stands- if the season were to end today, Pitino is gone. If he gets to the tourney, mid season hand wringing disappears and his 6 years will be right in there with other past coaches are our national power of a program
- he's going to evaluate recruiting and existing roster - I think Pitino is fine here assuming he can show that he is in good shape with Spring guys
- he is going to evaluate buyout costs and chances of landing a target coach and how much that costs
- and he is going to look at academics and other issues, which is a win for Pitino

Pitino will win somewhere and I think he will win big. We hired a 30 year old guy well before his prime and the plan was to grow with him. The AD understands that and it will be more than just the "what is the record the past 6 years" logic which is flyover thinking.

Good post although the off the court stuff is not a positive. Winning big seems to have a wide range of definitions. Do you mean like conference titles at a power 6 school ? Those are hard jobs to get with his resume'. Coyle may have a different idea then the plan to grow with him, that was not his plan and he would not have hired him. In your opinion do you see him winning conference titles here ?

Good post although the off the court stuff is not a positive. Winning big seems to have a wide range of definitions. Do you mean like conference titles at a power 6 school ? Those are hard jobs to get with his resume'. Coyle may have a different idea then the plan to grow with him, that was not his plan and he would not have hired him. In your opinion do you see him winning conference titles here ?

I could see it happen if he can build enough local confidence to get a couple of the best 2020 guys or even next year if he gets Hurt (highly doubtful) and a stud transfer PG. He needs to get a defensive assistant. I'll say that.

I could see it happen if he can build enough local confidence to get a couple of the best 2020 guys or even next year if he gets Hurt (highly doubtful) and a stud transfer PG. He needs to get a defensive assistant. I'll say that.

He's needed a defensive assistant at least since McHale left and has done nothing about it. I'm sorry, but in year 6 all of the "if he only had assistant x or point guard y" rings hollow. He has the team and coaching staff he built. And it's not good enough. And it doesn't appear that it's going to get significantly better next year.

If he can light a fire under Coffey, McBreyer and co. the way he did with Murphy halfway through 16-17 and trust IW, this team can still make the tournament and even win a game. If not, he'll have to figure it out somewhere else. I do think he'll get another job, but I don't think it will be at the Power 6 level.

What do you consider Rob Jeter? Hands down the best assistant Pitino has had imo (Yes that includes Ben)

What do you consider Rob Jeter? Hands down the best assistant Pitino has had imo (Yes that includes Ben)

I am not an insider to know which guy does what, I just see the games. I think their defense is getting better. But it still needs to improve. That's one thing, with the athletes and length we have we should be a real tough team to score on and that's not the case too often.

I am not an insider to know which guy does what, I just see the games. I think their defense is getting better. But it still needs to improve. That's one thing, with the athletes and length we have we should be a real tough team to score on and that's not the case too often.

Boom ! post of the day ! It is 71st in the country, only one year of 22nd and that was the best year Pitino had. Has to be a priority every minute. It is how steal wins on off nights and it creates a whole level of mental and physical toughness. A hall of fame coach once told me that you find out in a real hurry who wants to be part of your team/

Haven’t posted in awhile but so don’t know names mentioned but here’s guys to look up.
Mussleman
Hoiberg
Earl Grant
Nate Oats
Bob Richey
Mark Pope
Wes Miller
Craig Smith
Chris Jans
Steve Forbes
John Brannen
TJ Otzelberger
Nikko Medved
Dave Joerger

1) If he fires Pitino, my guess is that the fan base would break out as follows: 50% happy, 30% more or less indifferent, and 20% unhappy.

2) We don't have a big threat of losing significant roster players if Pitino is gone and we only have 1 new commit so I don't think this helps him. If they decide to fire Pitino, I think that will be before the spring recruiting season - just like it was when they fired Tubby.

3) Well, the buyout is lower than it's ever been (between $2 and $3 million I think); not dirt cheap but not prohibitive like it was a few years ago.

4) I don't hear a lot about Big Ten basketball players around the league getting suspended for academic reasons these days so it appears that most athletic administrations are handling academics well enough. I don't think Pitino is actually tutoring anybody.

"flyover thinking?" Haven't heard that one before. How long do we have to spend watching him "grow?" I'm 62 and I plan on retiring around 66 or 67. Will he be grown up by then?

I don't know why you have such a high opinion of this guy. In my view, he really hasn't earned it, but I guess all people in the public spotlight have their fans.

I like Richard but he has screwed too many things up. After this game I’d say - HE GONE!!

I live in Denver and am tempted to run down and watch Nevada play at Air Force to see Musselman in action in person.

Home Run
1. Musselman
2. Shaka

Solid
3. Oates
4. Howland
5. Hoiberg

Hope for the best
6. Miles
7. Medved
8. Otzelberger

Home Run
1. Musselman
2. Shaka

Solid
3. Oates
4. Howland
5. Hoiberg

Hope for the best
6. Miles
7. Medved
8. Otzelberger

Lol Shaka smart?

If we couldn’t get him from VCU when his buddy was here he wouldn’t even take Coyles call in Texas.

After post game interview I can no longer take Tim miles seriously as a human.
Might still be a good basketball coach though.

1)

"flyover thinking?" Haven't heard that one before. How long do we have to spend watching him "grow?" I'm 62 and I plan on retiring around 66 or 67. Will he be grown up by then?

I don't know why you have such a high opinion of this guy. In my view, he really hasn't earned it, but I guess all people in the public spotlight have their fans.

Agree, South Dakota State loss in 2015 keeps coming back to me, they lost by 15 but were down big time in the first half, I was stunned by halftime, they've had good games but overall they've been bad and occasionally very bad, at this point that appears to have been an indicator of what is to come. How is Pitino's record good enough to warrant another year.

Last edited:

Because we didn't make a move after last season, Musselman may be out of reach. Rumors are strong now that Arizona is going to try to part with Coach Miller (likely trying to make a "for cause" case by suspending his assistant) and UCLA will be interested too if they can't get one of their dream candidates. The good news is that there seems to be little buzz anymore about Hoiberg/UCLA. He seems like a Coyle type hire to me and would bring a much better offensive system to Minnesota. The issue with Hoiberg that will trouble builtbadgers is that his Cyclone teams were not exactly powerhouses on the defensive end.

Lol Shaka smart?

If we couldn’t get him from VCU when his buddy was here he wouldn’t even take Coyles call in Texas.

After post game interview I can no longer take Tim miles seriously as a human.
Might still be a good basketball coach though.

On Shaka, it's a reach for sure. But his tenure is not going great, and Texas fancies themselves a top 10 program. It doesn't help watching Rick Barnes have a #1 team. Shaka might not be far from where Tubby was at UK in 2007. Looking to get out ahead a year ahead of the firing squad.

I really like Miles as a guy. And I have no doubt he's a better X's and O's coach than Pitino. But he hasn't gotten great talent to Nebraska. The question is how much easier is to recruit here? It's easier, but by what degree?

Last edited:

I believe Coyle is already doing his due diligence on Pitino's replacement as he wants his own guy. Coyle doesn't necessarily need his own guy, however, too many recruiting struggles for too long with instate players, scrambling at the end of recruiting cycles to find Big Ten quality players, poor shooting teams (player shooting ability and poor shot selection) as well as too many off-the court issues (goes to recruiting) will lead to his dismissal at the end of the year.

Because we didn't make a move after last season, Musselman may be out of reach. Rumors are strong now that Arizona is going to try to part with Coach Miller (likely trying to make a "for cause" case by suspending his assistant) and UCLA will be interested too if they can't get one of their dream candidates. The good news is that there seems to be little buzz anymore about Hoiberg/UCLA. He seems like a Coyle type hire to me and would bring a much better offensive system to Minnesota. The issue with Hoiberg that will trouble builtbadgers is that his Cyclone teams were not exactly powerhouses on the defensive end.

I personally feel hoiberg is the guy most likely to be able to immediately be able to pull the top Minnesota talent based on nothing at all

Top Bottom