View Poll Results: Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eric Musselman

51 54.84%
  • Ryan Saunders

7 7.53%
  • Fred Hoiberg

34 36.56%
  • Steve Alford

1 1.08%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

I think we will make the NCAAs and Pitino will hopefully get a couple more good recruits and he won't be on the hot seat, but just wondering who would you want as Gopher coach next year.

Put Alford on here as a nod to Bobby. I wanted the Gophers to sign Bobby after Indiana booted him but the cowards at the U were too afraid to pull the trigger. I would have seriously enjoyed the Bobby Knight revenge tour for a good 5-7 years!
    Last edited by Otis; 01-09-2019 at 06:38 AM.

I doubt Pitino is canned. but with the offensive droughts this team has they very well turn south. so who knows.

but I would be all in for Musselman(1a) or Freddy(1b).
    I really hope Saunders can prove himself the rest of the way for the wolves.

Ryan Saunders lol

Steve Alford even more of an lol

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeGolfing View Post
    Ryan Saunders lol

and Pitino's offensive sets and lack of team discipline an even bigger LOL! I shouldn't be criticizing the great Pitino though.

Why is Alford an Lol?
    8 yrs @ Iowa: 152-106 and 61-67 conference, 3 NCAAs, 3 NITs, Highest Conf finish 2nd, lowest 8th. Then he did very well at New Mexico and UCLA(should have done better with those recruits)

Just saying he isn't a horrible coach.

Hoiberg:
    5 yrs @ Iowa State: 115-56 and 49-39 in the Big 12, 4 NCAAs, 3-13 in conference first year and never lower than 4th after.

Musselman:
    3 yrs @ Nevada: 95-30 and 40-16 in Mountain West Conference, Finished 4th, 1st and 1st in the MWC, 2 NCAAs, Great Warmups. (The gophers would probably finish 1st or 2nd in the MWC)

Saunders:
    4 day as Timberwolves HC: Record 1-0. Clearly, no where to go but down from here. Especially with Taylor's Wolves.

I only see one stretch as a possible Gophers Head Coach.

Musselman, Hoiberg, and Saunders would be my top three of these guys. But at any other school, I'd take Alford well before Saunders.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeGolfing View Post
    Ryan Saunders lol

I have no opinion on Saunders. Don't know enough about him.

I would rather have almost anyone else over Steve Alford.

Fred would be an outstanding hire if we could get him. Not only was he a successful college coach but he also played the game at the highest levels, coached in the NBA, and also had NBA front office experience. I also thought his recruiting choices made a lot of sense for a college team trying to emerge from the doldrums.

I heard Fred knows something about shooting threes.

It's easy to look at past records, but I'm always interested in who's a fit. I look at guys that will be liked by the AAU and HS coaches, will fit in well with the fan base, looks at this job as a jewel and would be interested in building it and staying here, and then who's actually realistic.

1. Tim Miles- He fits all those categories I listed above. His W and L record at Nebraska doesn't scare me. That job is so hard.
    2. Niko Medved- Climbing, plus he brings Dave Thorson with him. Good coach.
    3. Hoiberg- I'm worried that he doesn't like to recruit, but he is good at hiring guys that will. I don't know how MN coaches (Espcially AAU) would respond to that. Fan base be willing to like taking risky transfers? Pitino got ripped for it.

Not ready yet, but future guys
    1. Ben Johnson- Well liked in the state and is connected. Would hopefully get Thorson here and other young MN guys to connect to the base.
    2. Ryan Saunders- That will change quickly with his new promotion.

Dream Hires, but unlikely
    1. Tony Bennett (Would be scary good here)
    2. Dave Joeger- Total wild card, be interesting to see how he'd be recruiting, but x and o's wise he's dynamite
    2. Muss- I think he wants to stay out in the West Coast personally, but who knows. USC may open up soon too and he'd seem to be a good candidate there. He's not a good fit at UCLA. If Hurley ditches ASU for another job, he could be a good fit there too.

"Other" wasn't an option, so I didn't vote.

Expand on your list.

Musselman in a heartbeat.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    It's easy to look at past records, but I'm always interested in who's a fit. I look at guys that will be liked by the AAU and HS coaches, will fit in well with the fan base, looks at this job as a jewel and would be interested in building it and staying here, and then who's actually realistic.

1. Tim Miles- He fits all those categories I listed above. His W and L record at Nebraska doesn't scare me. That job is so hard.
    2. Niko Medved- Climbing, plus he brings Dave Thorson with him. Good coach.
    3. Hoiberg- I'm worried that he doesn't like to recruit, but he is good at hiring guys that will. I don't know how MN coaches (Espcially AAU) would respond to that. Fan base be willing to like taking risky transfers? Pitino got ripped for it.

Not ready yet, but future guys
    1. Ben Johnson- Well liked in the state and is connected. Would hopefully get Thorson here and other young MN guys to connect to the base.
    2. Ryan Saunders- That will change quickly with his new promotion.

Dream Hires, but unlikely
    1. Tony Bennett (Would be scary good here)
    2. Dave Joeger- Total wild card, be interesting to see how he'd be recruiting, but x and o's wise he's dynamite
    2. Muss- I think he wants to stay out in the West Coast personally, but who knows. USC may open up soon too and he'd seem to be a good candidate there. He's not a good fit at UCLA. If Hurley ditches ASU for another job, he could be a good fit there too.
    Hoiberg but we have our guy now. Miles has a 5 star and 4 or 5 4 star players on his team. It is a hard job and so is Minnesota,UVA and UW. But when you hire the right coach it is not as hard is it.

Blog Entries

1. Musselman
    2. Miles
    3. Hoiberg
    4. Ben Howland
    5. Nate Oats

Unrealistic candidates but you never know:
    Mike Brey
    Shaka Smart
    Beard at TT

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Hoiberg but we have our guy now. Miles has a 5 star and 4 or 5 4 star players on his team. It is a hard job and so is Minnesota,UVA and UW. But when you hire the right coach it is not as hard is it.
    Correct MN is a tough job too. I don't see that many 5 and 4 stars on Nebraskas team through 247's recruiting. Miles gets guys to play hard and I think he'd have better luck getting them to MN. Plus I know coaches in the state love him. I think Pitino has done a really good job of adjusting to a job that he didn't fit into. Howeda is right on Beard and Brey being a dream candidates on that I forgot. They are both excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Correct MN is a tough job too. I don't see that many 5 and 4 stars on Nebraskas team through 247's recruiting. Miles gets guys to play hard and I think he'd have better luck getting them to MN. Plus I know coaches in the state love him. I think Pitino has done a really good job of adjusting to a job that he didn't fit into. Howeda is right on Beard and Brey being a dream candidates on that I forgot. They are both excellent.
    Musselman is options 1a, 1b, and 1c. Give him whatever he wants. Retire his Dad in the rafters. I dont care what you do.

After that,

2. Medved
    3. Hoiberg