I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Trolling BuiltBadger. I like it.

The big names I would take a shot at our Mike Brey, Shaka Smart and Chris Beard. Brey is going through a down period and might be ready for a change. Shaka is not really doing any better at Texas than Barnes did. As for Beard, I know he "loves" it there, but it's still TT. All are long shots and would require big $$ to get them to even consider it though.

Really funny, i did laugh. TB turns down jobs that pay twice the 2.4. He gave the last 600.000 raise to his assistants, wife from the south. Huge bonuses throughout for incentives, many met, really big ones ahead. Kids in a high school they love and would not leave. Texas and Indiana already offered 5 million. We could have hired him 14 years ago. UVA was just what he was looking for. Can take UCLA now at 4.4 as Wasserman supports it all the way. Already said no. Brey loves ND and being in the ACC. No on Beard, he and his family like Texas and are on the short list at UCLA or if Arizona open. Shaka may be available.

Really funny, i did laugh. TB turns down jobs that pay twice the 2.4. He gave the last 600.000 raise to his assistants, wife from the south. Huge bonuses throughout for incentives, many met, really big ones ahead. Kids in a high school they love and would not leave. Texas and Indiana already offered 5 million. We could have hired him 14 years ago. UVA was just what he was looking for. Can take UCLA now at 4.4 as Wasserman supports it all the way. Already said no. Brey loves ND and being in the ACC. No on Beard, he and his family like Texas and are on the short list at UCLA or if Arizona open. Shaka may be available.

I want Shaka just so we can revive the 200 page thread from 2013.

I don't think we would lose more than one to transfer -- IW. And I feel it's possible that would happen whether there is a change or not. Who else do you think might leave? I don't see any other obvious candidates.

Hire the right coach, and you wouldn't need to worry about 2-3 years of rebuilding, or going backward. Not to mention -- have we gone forward all that much, if at all, in the past six years?

I kind of agree about starting the recruiting process over. Though I don't know much about recruiting, but it doesn't seem like we have a lot to lose in 2019 recruiting. Are we considered the leader for any of the 2020 guys? Would recruiting really take that much of a hit, even in the short term? But yea, I see your point. New relationships would have to b developed.

100% agree with change for the sake of change. We've seen where that can lead. I trust Coyle to survey the landscape before actually making a move.

From what I've heard we have a legitimate shot with Garcia. No one really knows what Dain plans to do. Carlson is a long shot, but that isn't our fault. He's more in the Ruevers category//state of mind. The interesting one is Suggs. He's not your run of the mill top 10 player in the country. He really likes football and is still entertaining playing two sports. He isn't interested in blazing his own path hence why he never joined Pulley or D1 for AAU. MN is a possibility and he may be willing to not be 1 and done. Now the kid is junior and seeing dollar signs and a professional career may change that, but it will be interesting to watch.

Spot on for TB and Beard. I love how people don't understand the family angle on this for so many guys. Coaches wives and families deal with enough with job demands and they still are husbands and fathers. Being able to have their families comfortable allows the coaches to better handle those demands. That's why Hoiberg is actually a possibility here (Don't know if I want him though yet). Wife loves the twin cities, cabin up in central MN. I don't think there is a job that Brey would ever leave ND for except Duke, he also told UCLA and many others over the years no.

Pat Baldwin...UW Milwaukee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pat Baldwin...UW Milwaukee

Seriously?

Head coach career record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Milwaukee Panthers (Horizon League) (2017–present)
2017–18 Milwaukee 16–17 8–10 T–5th
2018–19 Milwaukee 9–16 4–8
Milwaukee: 25–33 (.431) 12–18 (.400)
Total: 25–33 (.431)

Seriously?

Head coach career record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
2017–18 Milwaukee 16–17 8–10 T–5th
2018–19 Milwaukee 9–16 4–8
Milwaukee: 25–33 (.431) 12–18 (.400)
Total: 25–33 (.431)

Fred would be the best choice. Great recruiter, great technician. Recruits would just flock to him with his NBA connections. Plus he would be cheap with the Bulls paying him $7 million. Still looking for the “go fund me page”. Not sure the Gophers have the dollars setting around for the buy out. Especially with the passing of Dick Ames.

I know they won't touch him, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Kelvin Sampson could do here.

Seriously?

Head coach career record
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2017–18Milwaukee16–178–10T–5th
2018–19Milwaukee9–164–8
Milwaukee:25–33 (.431)12–18 (.400)
Total:25–33 (.431)

We would PROBABLY get his kid...only reason.

From what I've heard we have a legitimate shot with Garcia. No one really knows what Dain plans to do. Carlson is a long shot, but that isn't our fault. He's more in the Ruevers category//state of mind. The interesting one is Suggs. He's not your run of the mill top 10 player in the country. He really likes football and is still entertaining playing two sports. He isn't interested in blazing his own path hence why he never joined Pulley or D1 for AAU. MN is a possibility and he may be willing to not be 1 and done. Now the kid is junior and seeing dollar signs and a professional career may change that, but it will be interesting to watch.

So whats the deal with D1? I would love Suggs on the football team....he looked like an incredible QB! I've only watched film on him in basketball. He looks like he has great range and his shot looks awesome. I didn't realize until this week that it was Paul Homgren's son who he is playing with.

A one and done? That's not a good reason. And he'll probably end up at Duke.

Have you seen his kid play?

This is mostly tongue and cheek.

I watched his kid play today on baller.tv. Second time I’ve seen him. Pretty sure he could start in Williams Arena now. Quite the athlete.

Have you seen his kid play?

This is mostly tongue and cheek.

I watched his kid play today on baller.tv. Second time I’ve seen him. Pretty sure he could start in Williams Arena now. Quite the athlete.

Let's hire Matthew Hurt's dad then.

So whats the deal with D1? I would love Suggs on the football team....he looked like an incredible QB! I've only watched film on him in basketball. He looks like he has great range and his shot looks awesome. I didn't realize until this week that it was Paul Homgren's son who he is playing with.

I'd love to know what the deal is with D1. I don't honestly know? Jealous of Pulley getting Pitino and his staffs attention? Really don't know though.

I'd love to know what the deal is with D1. I don't honestly know? Jealous of Pulley getting Pitino and his staffs attention? Really don't know though.

Not jealousy. These things are about power and they think it is cool to get in good with power coaches and programs. For some it escalates to shoe money, perks. The Pulley folks are cool and play the game straight. They help kids grow and pick their own schools. Not sure what D1 does but they sure enjoy attention.

Not jealousy. These things are about power and they think it is cool to get in good with power coaches and programs. For some it escalates to shoe money, perks. The Pulley folks are cool and play the game straight. They help kids grow and pick their own schools. Not sure what D1 does but they sure enjoy attention.

Agreed, always liked the Pulley guys. You're right it's probably just status. I just know we had some in with Zeke, then he switches programs and we are all a sudden out? Pulley has sent kids everywhere, were always more focused sending kids where they will be successful. I have no idea what the think of Suggs deal yet? Seems more together than the old Net Gain deal?

I mentioned earlier that Nate Oats would probably be my first choice. Another coach I'd be very interested in is TJ Otzelberger from South Dakota St. He was one of Hoiberg's top assistants at Iowa St, and SDSU is on its way to winning the Summit league for the 3rd time in his 3 years there.

I mentioned earlier that Nate Oats would probably be my first choice. Another coach I'd be very interested in is TJ Otzelberger from South Dakota St. He was one of Hoiberg's top assistants at Iowa St, and SDSU is on its way to winning the Summit league for the 3rd time in his 3 years there.

Spot on TJ, someone is going to take a chance on him soon and it is not much of a risk.

So would he be in your pool by your coaching hire standards for Mn?

I think he should be but the correct vetting is not talking to he has coached with as much as it is on who he has coached against, what do they say about his clinics, what is he known for, who can he bring as assistants. Did he build a winner some where else, how well does he ingrain himself with high school coaches. The last part is very overlooked because for 20 years the high profile schools and coaches focused on AAU. Bennett and Ryan focused on high school and family, same with Jay Wright. AAU should be used to evaluate your kids against high competition, nothing else. In high school you can find out who the kid is as a person, how does he treat people as the star of the team and on and on. Never take a short cut. I do not not TJ at all but Thorson says he is great, Saul Phillips same thing. His body of work is impressive as his jobs are highly competitive and you always look to that.

Fyi, he is part of Villa 7 but do not let that scare you as you can do all the reasearch i suggested on your own. Teague was scum and was trying to curry favors with big names.

Additionally it should be noted that Villa is associated with Nike and that they really hung their hat on Shaka who really road one final 4 trip to fame but had not even built VCU, that was Anthony Grant. The rest of Villa HAS BEEN A MIXED BAG AT BEST. I think going with what Bob Knight says, or Jerry West, or Izzo. Iam very biased toward individuals that have coached and know coaches as opposed to consortiums. Pretty sure Coyle is wired that way. Should be noted that Pitino has not failed yet as a final grade, he has failed to this point but that final grade is not posted. Go Gophers

Additionally it should be noted that Villa is associated with Nike and that they really hung their hat on Shaka who really road one final 4 trip to fame but had not even built VCU, that was Anthony Grant. The rest of Villa HAS BEEN A MIXED BAG AT BEST. I think going with what Bob Knight says, or Jerry West, or Izzo. Iam very biased toward individuals that have coached and know coaches as opposed to consortiums. Pretty sure Coyle is wired that way. Should be noted that Pitino has not failed yet as a final grade, he has failed to this point but that final grade is not posted. Go Gophers

Agreed.
I am also a big proponent of thinking best resume does not equal best coach many times

Top Bottom