View Poll Results: Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eric Musselman

51 54.84%
  • Ryan Saunders

7 7.53%
  • Fred Hoiberg

34 36.56%
  • Steve Alford

1 1.08%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

I’ll keep RP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    1. Musselman
    2. Miles
    3. Hoiberg
    4. Ben Howland
    5. Nate Oats

Unrealistic candidates but you never know:
    Mike Brey
    Shaka Smart
    Beard at TT
    I will revise this slightly:
    1. Musselman
    2. Miles
    3. Howland
    4. Tad Boyle
    5. Nate Oats

The more I read Hoiberg makes me nervous as I don't know if he can win without the sketchy transfers and I don't know if he would stay more than 5 years before going back to the NBA.

I will revise this slightly:
    1. Musselman
    2. Miles
    3. Howland
    4. Tad Boyle
    5. Nate Oats

The more I read Hoiberg makes me nervous as I don't know if he can win without the sketchy transfers and I don't know if he would stay more than 5 years before going back to the NBA.
    This is MN sports...we discuss guys leaving for bigger schools all the time and the fact is they all end up sucking and getting canned.

Any up and coming hot-shot assistants that are ready for a head coaching gig?

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    Any up and coming hot-shot assistants that are ready for a head coaching gig?
    We just tried that with this coach.

Quote Originally Posted by tmvander View Post
    We just tried that with this coach.
    Er, no we didnt. he was already a head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    Er, no we didnt. he was already a head coach.
    Yep for one full year...

What was so sketchy about his transfers? That just seems to be a meme without a lot of factual basis. Heck, he's the only post-high school coach who managed to keep Royce White together for a full productive season.

Hoiberg's recruiting style at Iowa State actually made a lot of sense for one trying to make a stagnant program competitive quickly.

Is it the players or the coach? If a different coach had this exact same roster, do you think the results would be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Is it the players or the coach? If a different coach had this exact same roster, do you think the results would be the same?
    No.

I don't think he is placing the players in a system they can perform at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    There are at least a dozen coaches that would win big with this roster. I have seen them do it with far less talent.

Yep for one full year...
    So yes, he was a head coach when hired here.

Good talk.

Blog Entries

This is MN sports...we discuss guys leaving for bigger schools all the time and the fact is they all end up sucking and getting canned.
    Normally I agree. No one has ditched us in FB or Men's basketball since Holtz. But in Hoibergs case it seems legit. Not that he will leave for a better college job. But that he's still not sure which league he wants to be in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    What was so sketchy about his transfers? That just seems to be a meme without a lot of factual basis. Heck, he's the only post-high school coach who managed to keep Royce White together for a full productive season.

Hoiberg's recruiting style at Iowa State actually made a lot of sense for one trying to make a stagnant program competitive quickly.
    Maybe sketchy is the wrong word, but weren't several of them marginal academically?

Normally I agree. No one has ditched us in FB or Men's basketball since Holtz. But in Hoibergs case it seems legit. Not that he will leave for a better college job. But that he's still not sure which league he wants to be in.
    If he wanted to move on from his hometown of Ames for the NBA you have to wonder if Mpls is enough of a draw to prevent him from doing it again.