I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I will revise this slightly:
1. Musselman
2. Miles
3. Howland
4. Tad Boyle
5. Nate Oats

The more I read Hoiberg makes me nervous as I don't know if he can win without the sketchy transfers and I don't know if he would stay more than 5 years before going back to the NBA.

Oh please, please, please NOT Tad Boyle. I put up with 4 seasons of season tickets and finally gave up my awesomely located seats because I couldn't stand watching his team's lack of effort, dumb play and general falling short of their expectations.

Oh please, please, please NOT Tad Boyle. I put up with 4 seasons of season tickets and finally gave up my awesomely located seats because I couldn't stand watching his team's lack of effort, dumb play and general falling short of their expectations.

Tad Boyle is a truly odd inclusion. He's a Colorado native coaching at Colorado, a position he secured by moving up from Northern Colorado. He already has an equal/better job. I highly doubt he would leave voluntarily (why would he?), and thus the only way we'd get him is if he were fired. Why would we want to hire a coach fired from a lateral/superior position? Aside from all of that, he's been extremely mediocre and is 56 years old.

Now where have I seen all these lately?

Maybe sketchy is the wrong word, but weren't several of them marginal academically?

That I don't know. This university does seem to make fewer allowances for that than some others.

That I don't know. This university does seem to make fewer allowances for that than some others.

No we do not. This is not that hard of school to get in , virtually the same as UW. The classes here are miles easier here for athletes than lots of places. Look at what the kids are taking. Kid at Northwestern, Vandy, UVA and Stanford have much tougher acadeic demands and have had several kids get into brutal Masters programs and achieve that in 5 years. Grad rates are great and they are high at places like Kentucky because every kid is in recreational agriculture. Hoffarber is the last true athlete that got into Carlson. Check out the majors on our team.

builtbadgers;1676Thi038 said:
Northwestern, Vandy, UVA and Stanford have much tougher acadeic demands and have had several kids get into brutal Masters programs and achieve that in 5 years.

Those are very academically elite schools but only one of them is a Big Ten school. A recent analysis of admissions standards among the Big Ten schools showed the U of M with the 3rd toughest standards after Northwestern and Michigan. I checked that out afterward and that pretty much coincided with what I found. Still, the university admits about half of the applicants overall (Carlson is undoubtedly lower). Even at the more academically elite universities you mention, my guess is that the majority of the athletes in the big revenue sports aren't taking the more rigorous majors.

Just think most fans love to throw out excuses about academics when their team struggles. Every schools fans claim how hard it is to get into their school. I scouted fpr a very long time and as part of the process grades were discussed and still are. We have players here that could not get in at dozens and dozens of schools and lots of schools have kids that could not get in here. Recruit real student athletes if that is what you really want to be. Or if you like One and done do that, or if your just trying to get kids through college that is fine too, hell more than fine. But there is no way we can say getting these kids in here is tough because it is not. Talk to Hoffarber, talk to Johnson etc.. and you will get a eye roll if you ask them what classes are taken by most players and how smart were most of them.

No we do not. This is not that hard of school to get in , virtually the same as UW. The classes here are miles easier here for athletes than lots of places. Look at what the kids are taking. Kid at Northwestern, Vandy, UVA and Stanford have much tougher acadeic demands and have had several kids get into brutal Masters programs and achieve that in 5 years. Grad rates are great and they are high at places like Kentucky because every kid is in recreational agriculture. Hoffarber is the last true athlete that got into Carlson. Check out the majors on our team.

I thought Andre Hollins was in Carlson

There are at least a dozen coaches that would win big with this roster. I have seen them do it with far less talent.

i agree there are better coaches than Richard. But most of them you are probably thinking of would struggle with this roster. We have one ball handler and he's learning how to play point guard at this level. We have one shooter. Coffey can drive left and shoot catch and shoot threes....pretty much only. Murphy is great at rebounding. Oturu is a freshman who has trouble defending consistently. Curry is slowly returning to his freshman level. Mc Brayer is awesome or invisible. We have a shooting problem of pretty big proportions from three and the free throw line a lot of nights. There is no depth.

This is not a roster of all stars. Would I like to see them do different things on offense? Absolutely. But I'll bet there is a reason we don't see what we'd like to....they can't execute it.
The thought Richard or his assistants don't know what to do is silly.

What does it matter if they do? Ultimately head coaches are judged on the performance of their teams. All things count, even luck. The most knowledgable coach in the nation will be fired eventually if his teams don't perform well.

i agree there are better coaches than Richard. But most of them you are probably thinking of would struggle with this roster. We have one ball handler and he's learning how to play point guard at this level. We have one shooter. Coffey can drive left and shoot catch and shoot threes....pretty much only. Murphy is great at rebounding. Oturu is a freshman who has trouble defending consistently. Curry is slowly returning to his freshman level. Mc Brayer is awesome or invisible. We have a shooting problem of pretty big proportions from three and the free throw line a lot of nights. There is no depth.

This is not a roster of all stars. Would I like to see them do different things on offense? Absolutely. But I'll bet there is a reason we don't see what we'd like to....they can't execute it.

The coaches i am thinking of would have us playing defense like the 1st half of the game at UW AND contending at the top of the conference.

The coaches i am thinking of would have us playing defense like the 1st half of the game at UW AND contending at the top of the conference.
Not with our current roster of poor shooters...

Not even close to accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which coaches are those?

Exactly - badger built, who are these coaches that would, first, sign on to coach at MN, then have them doing what you insist they could do?

Remember, they first would have to agree to a contract to coach here.

And why was it that hiring a top notch coach here is so hard? No one would touch the place and MN got Dan Monson. Tubby gone and the best MN can do is young Richard.

I've always been a Pitino fan and still have hope he can make the tournament and keep his job. But if not, I'd hire Nate Oats. Buffalo is in the top 15, and will likely make the tournament for the 3rd time in his 4 years. He's 44, a Wisconsin native, and appears to be a good recruiter having landed two 4* guys at Buffalo.

Exactly - badger built, who are these coaches that would, first, sign on to coach at MN, then have them doing what you insist they could do?

Remember, they first would have to agree to a contract to coach here.

And why was it that hiring a top notch coach here is so hard? No one would touch the place and MN got Dan Monson. Tubby gone and the best MN can do is young Richard.

Your right, they would not come here but at one point they would have. Holding teams to 55 points or less would go really far with this roster. The point was this regime can not get the team to do that and other coaches could. Great coaches are elite at both offense and defense, top 30 usually but coaches that can not find points find elite defense. We do neither. This is not made up, do the research.

I've always been a Pitino fan and still have hope he can make the tournament and keep his job. But if not, I'd hire Nate Oats. Buffalo is in the top 15, and will likely make the tournament for the 3rd time in his 4 years. He's 44, a Wisconsin native, and appears to be a good recruiter having landed two 4* guys at Buffalo.

Awesome choice.

I was high on him a couple years ago. 4 NCAAs in 5 years at Colorado is not easy. But it does appear that things have gone into the ditch and it's not getting better, so you're probably right.

BarnBurner;1677750 And why was it that hiring a top notch coach here is so hard? No one would touch the place and MN got Dan Monson. Tubby gone and the best MN can do is young Richard.[/QUOTE said:
Just because Pitino was hired does not mean that he was the best coach they could get. Supposedly Teague the Idiot was impressed by a recommendation from Billy Donovan. A recommendation from a guy who owed his big break as a player and his start in coaching to Pitino Sr. should have meant nothing.

Speaking of Tubby, he was a coach with a very illustrious career at the time of hire so that demonstrates that Minnesota could get a highly regarded coach. Undoubtedly he was better coach earlier in his career. Fleck was considered a fairly hot prospect when he was hired.

Just because Pitino was hired does not mean that he was the best coach they could get. Supposedly Teague the Idiot was impressed by a recommendation from Billy Donovan. A recommendation from a guy who owed his big break as a player and his start in coaching to Pitino Sr. should have meant nothing.

Speaking of Tubby, he was a coach with a very illustrious career at the time of hire so that demonstrates that Minnesota could get a highly regarded coach. Undoubtedly he was better coach earlier in his career. Fleck was considered a fairly hot prospect when he was hired.

The hires since Clem have been poor, based on results. The reality is no one would coach at Mn other than Dan Monson. And no one wanted the job when Tubby was let go. Otherwise Mn would have a much more experienced, successful coach.

Mn does not. Richard was the best they could get. I really want him to succeed however I am becoming very discouraged.

Your right, they would not come here but at one point they would have. Holding teams to 55 points or less would go really far with this roster. The point was this regime can not get the team to do that and other coaches could. Great coaches are elite at both offense and defense, top 30 usually but coaches that can not find points find elite defense. We do neither. This is not made up, do the research.

At what point? Pre Clem? Otherwise you are full of it.

What does it matter if they do? Ultimately head coaches are judged on the performance of their teams. All things count, even luck. The most knowledgable coach in the nation will be fired eventually if his teams don't perform well.

Agree with that 100% but, it addresses a different point.

The hires since Clem have been poor, based on results.

Tubby was here for six years. He never had a losing season. His teams won 20 or more games in five of those seasons. He made the NCAA tournament 3 times and the NIT twice. In one of those NIT appearances, they were a finalist despite playing all of their games on the road and having an injury depleted roster.

Probably only about a dozen programs or fewer in the country could objectively label those results as "poor" and the Gophers aren't one of those programs.

Last edited:

yes please! He and Mussleman would be my top 2 choices if it would happen.

Badgerbuilt ran away.

From what, message board insults ! After 2004 they could have been ahead of the curve and hired several coaches who went on to great success. This would have been before the fact of big success but it is about being ahead of the curve. My firm represented two of them.

From what, message board insults ! After 2004 they could have been ahead of the curve and hired several coaches who went on to great success. This would have been before the fact of big success but it is about being ahead of the curve. My firm represented two of them.

So then, who were the two? And since you have the information, why did neither end up at Mn?

With the new facilities and Minnesota's rather new run of producing top basketball talent in the high school ranks, I think the Gophers are more attractive to a new coach then they were when Pitino was hired.

Top Bottom