I like and think Pitino will be back, but who would you most like to replace him...

Next Gopher Basketball coach is?

• Eric Musselman

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Ryan Saunders

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
No! It is a statement from someone who has a little faith and backs the coach instead of speculating on when he will be fired every time a player misses a free throw. We have some of the most unsupportive fans around. How many times have we had this type of discussion on GH? How about how many times just this year so far? It is a constant drumbeat from the same group that doesn’t realize that every program has ups and downs, and if we are up they just talk about when it is going to crash. Of course people are going to have varied opinions about the team, but when someone says they want Tim fricking Miles, it is ridiculous! It seems like a good pocket of “fans” suffer from Reusse syndrome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you that every program has ups and downs ? Not true, some hire a coaching superstar and win for 20 years, others are in year 10 or so and win multiple conference titles and go way north of .500 in conference year after year. I can still support Pitino and talk of how poorly he has done so far. I am not afraid to shed my Gopher glasses to aknowledge how bad we have been but still hope that this is the year ! Iam also not the fan who thinks one sweet 16 run this year is a contract extension or coaching superstar status. If we get 4th place and that sweet 16 he will have met the minimum requirement for 6 years in my mind. I have way larger expectations as i have seen and studied how well others have done in tough jobs.

Since I am the Tim Miles backer on this thread, I'm assuming you meant me. I've been one of and still is one Pitinos biggest backers on here and backed your posts as well. This was a hypothetical question which required my personal thoughts which I back up with logic on why they'd be good fits. I still have hope for Pitino and think he will be fine. People can have conversations while still being supportive, but please don't ever compare to the piece of troll trash that is Ruesse. Blind loyalty is better suited for Trumpites and Sandershuggers.

I haven’t read all of the posts on this thread, I just caught some discussion about Miles, so it wasn’t meant at you personally. Miles may be the nicest guy or whatever, but do you really think there would be any less posters complaining about him then Pitino? He hasn’t done miracles at Nebraska and there is no real reason to think he could do better here. It was the other trolls that hide when we win and pile on if we lose that I was directing the Reusse comments. And I agree about your blind loyalty comments. I lead the pack on the fire Mason and Lucia efforts. I just think Pitino still shows a lot of promise and will be a very good coach for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t read all of the posts on this thread, I just caught some discussion about Miles, so it wasn’t meant at you personally. Miles may be the nicest guy or whatever, but do you really think there would be any less posters complaining about him then Pitino? He hasn’t done miracles at Nebraska and there is no real reason to think he could do better here. It was the other trolls that hide when we win and pile on if we lose that I was directing the Reusse comments. And I agree about your blind loyalty comments. I lead the pack on the fire Mason and Lucia efforts. I just think Pitino still shows a lot of promise and will be a very good coach for us.

This is where you confuse me. Mason and Lucia both had much better resumes at the U than Pitino has so far. Yet you seem to think it is not only incorrect, but borderline indefensible to suggest that failing to win a single tournament game in six seasons should be a fireable offense for Pitino.

What do you that every program has ups and downs ? Not true, some hire a coaching superstar and win for 20 years, others are in year 10 or so and win multiple conference titles and go way north of .500 in conference year after year. I can still support Pitino and talk of how poorly he has done so far. I am not afraid to shed my Gopher glasses to aknowledge how bad we have been but still hope that this is the year ! Iam also not the fan who thinks one sweet 16 run this year is a contract extension or coaching superstar status. If we get 4th place and that sweet 16 he will have met the minimum requirement for 6 years in my mind. I have way larger expectations as i have seen and studied how well others have done in tough jobs.

That’s fair. I just think some of our fans act like they don’t understand that many teams have FT slumps, mess up on guarding assignments, miss 3’s, throw balls out of bounds, etc. Some tend to think that the U is the only team that makes mistakes.

Some criticism is natural, but thread after thread, after thread for years is not healthy criticism, it is a cancer! There just isn’t much more meat on this dead horse to beat.

Thank you for the clarification. I argued earlier about Miles and why I felt his struggles at Nebraska wouldn't be as big here imo. I just hate the apathetic MN fan and our god awful troll media people. I does to success though. Coach K and duke were a perfect fit. Same with Bo Ryan and Wiskey. Put then other settings and I say they don't have nearly the same Sucess. I alsodon't think anyone can win at Nebraska consistently personally beyond what Miles has. I also think he'd fit better in MN which is why I argue Miles would do better. I hope we've don't have to find out personally as hopefully Pitino can stay and be more successful. My biggest hope is that we get to keep Rob Jeter. Richards best years have been with asolid former HC as an assistant.

I’ll play...

1. Brad Stevens
2. Jay Wright
3. Mark Few
4. John Beilein
5. Bill Self

There you go!

Thank you for the clarification. I argued earlier about Miles and why I felt his struggles at Nebraska wouldn't be as big here imo. I just hate the apathetic MN fan and our god awful troll media people. I does to success though. Coach K and duke were a perfect fit. Same with Bo Ryan and Wiskey. Put then other settings and I say they don't have nearly the same Sucess. I alsodon't think anyone can win at Nebraska consistently personally beyond what Miles has. I also think he'd fit better in MN which is why I argue Miles would do better. I hope we've don't have to find out personally as hopefully Pitino can stay and be more successful. My biggest hope is that we get to keep Rob Jeter. Richards best years have been with asolid former HC as an assistant.

Bo Ryan would win anywhere.He would have won a whole lot more at Nebraska than Miles has. Lots of guys would have. Miles is not a top 25 coach, probably not top 50.

Bo Ryan would win anywhere.He would have won a whole lot more at Nebraska than Miles has. Lots of guys would have. Miles is not a top 25 coach, probably not top 50.

Bo Ryan wouldn't have lasted in places like UCLA due to his personality (I've actually met him a couple of times and he still a good guy, but he's a Midwest guy). Part of what Bo did so well wasn't keep Wisconsin kids and utilize a system that played off their strengths. I'd argue MN isn't a top 25 job yet either, so I wouldn't expect a top 25 coach either . Those things/jobs develop into or fall out of that. We can agree to disagree on top 50.

Bo Ryan wouldn't have lasted in places like UCLA due to his personality (I've actually met him a couple of times and he still a good guy, but he's a Midwest guy).

Actually, Bo grew up in Chester PA right outside of Philadelphia. He also played collegiate ball in PA and started his coaching career there. He still retains some of his Philly accent.

Some criticism is natural, but thread after thread, after thread for years is not healthy criticism, it is a cancer! There just isn’t much more meat on this dead horse to beat.

If you're that sensitive to negative thoughts maybe you should turn to forums discussing yoga or meditation. It's a natural reaction to have lost a lot of faith in Pitino after a five year tenure featuring more disappointment than enjoyment.

Actually, Bo grew up in Chester PA right outside of Philadelphia. He also played collegiate ball in PA and started his coaching career there. He still retains some of his Philly accent.

I know where he's from, he's just a perfect fit in the Midwest. He's best with blue collar families and blue collar kids. That could translate to many jobs out OH or PA too. It wouldn't out west.

I know where he's from, he's just a perfect fit in the Midwest. He's best with blue collar families and blue collar kids. That could translate to many jobs out OH or PA too. It wouldn't out west.

He would win basketball games anywhere. He won with a lot of kids from Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin. He had a tremendous staff as well. Bennett, Gard, Phillips and Jeter. He was a master class teacher. The culture would be a bad fit at UCLA but they would have loved great basketball.

He would win basketball games anywhere. He won with a lot of kids from Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin. He had a tremendous staff as well. Bennett, Gard, Phillips and Jeter. He was a master class teacher. The culture would be a bad fit at UCLA but they would have loved great basketball.

Correct all Midwest kids. Ben Howland is a good example as how it's not always about winning at UCLA. Monson has been pretty successful everywhere out west, but wasn't a Midwest guy. People have fits. Again, I have a ton of respect for Bo and Gard too. I think fit is a large variable of a coaches success or failure

Yep, Philly sounds about right.
eb4bd0cb1b5315bb7956b7b22ac6a7b7.jpg

If you're that sensitive to negative thoughts maybe you should turn to forums discussing yoga or meditation. It's a natural reaction to have lost a lot of faith in Pitino after a five year tenure featuring more disappointment than enjoyment.

Oh my gosh, that is one of the funniest things I have read on here recently.

1. Musselman
2. Miles
3. Hoiberg
4. Ben Howland
5. Nate Oats

Unrealistic candidates but you never know:
Mike Brey
Shaka Smart
Beard at TT

I will revise this slightly:
1. Musselman
2. Miles
3. Howland
4. Tad Boyle
5. Nate Oats

The more I read Hoiberg makes me nervous as I don't know if he can win without the sketchy transfers and I don't know if he would stay more than 5 years before going back to the NBA.

I will revise this slightly:
1. Musselman
2. Miles
3. Howland
4. Tad Boyle
5. Nate Oats

The more I read Hoiberg makes me nervous as I don't know if he can win without the sketchy transfers and I don't know if he would stay more than 5 years before going back to the NBA.

This is MN sports...we discuss guys leaving for bigger schools all the time and the fact is they all end up sucking and getting canned.

Any up and coming hot-shot assistants that are ready for a head coaching gig?

What was so sketchy about his transfers? That just seems to be a meme without a lot of factual basis. Heck, he's the only post-high school coach who managed to keep Royce White together for a full productive season.

Hoiberg's recruiting style at Iowa State actually made a lot of sense for one trying to make a stagnant program competitive quickly.

Is it the players or the coach? If a different coach had this exact same roster, do you think the results would be the same?

Is it the players or the coach? If a different coach had this exact same roster, do you think the results would be the same?

No.

I don't think he is placing the players in a system they can perform at their best.

There are at least a dozen coaches that would win big with this roster. I have seen them do it with far less talent.

This is MN sports...we discuss guys leaving for bigger schools all the time and the fact is they all end up sucking and getting canned.

Normally I agree. No one has ditched us in FB or Men's basketball since Holtz. But in Hoibergs case it seems legit. Not that he will leave for a better college job. But that he's still not sure which league he wants to be in.

What was so sketchy about his transfers? That just seems to be a meme without a lot of factual basis. Heck, he's the only post-high school coach who managed to keep Royce White together for a full productive season.

Hoiberg's recruiting style at Iowa State actually made a lot of sense for one trying to make a stagnant program competitive quickly.

Maybe sketchy is the wrong word, but weren't several of them marginal academically?

Normally I agree. No one has ditched us in FB or Men's basketball since Holtz. But in Hoibergs case it seems legit. Not that he will leave for a better college job. But that he's still not sure which league he wants to be in.

If he wanted to move on from his hometown of Ames for the NBA you have to wonder if Mpls is enough of a draw to prevent him from doing it again.

Top Bottom