Nate Mason

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
Man I miss that guy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cowan always reminded me a bit of Nate. Gabe did a good job in the first half but the second half Cowan hit dagger after dagger.
Tonight Cowan was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowan always reminded me a bit of Nate. Gabe did a good job in the first half but the second half Cowan hit dagger after dagger.
Tonight Cowan was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maryland players are simply much better than MN players. It was obvious.

No.... they are not

Really.

Cowan is a much better pg than anyone on the Mn roster.

Md two bigs, sophomore and Freshman were much better than Mn bigs.

After Amir, explain who on Mn roster is better than those on md roster.

Really.

Cowan is a much better pg than anyone on the Mn roster.

Md two bigs, sophomore and Freshman were much better than Mn bigs.

After Amir, explain who on Mn roster is better than those on md roster.
Take away the FT line......the game was a toss up....fact. we out played them in the first half. They out played us in the second. Shots went in for them and not us in the second half

This was a game the Gophers could have won had they simply been competent from the free-throw line, but that was not the case. Maryland was the better team, and deserved to win.

And I agree with BB, talent-wise Maryland's top-end talent (Cowan, Fernando, Smith) significantly better than the Gophers. That was apparent last night. Cowan is a fantastic lead guard, and Fernando and Smith both are beasts in the post.

Was impressed with the Terps. A very poised group for such a young team.

Last edited:

Maryland players are simply much better than MN players. It was obvious.

Yep. I'd take Smith or Fernando over Murphy, Oturu or Curry. I'd take Cowan over any PG we have.

To his credit, Oturu hung tough with Fernando.

Yep. I'd take Smith or Fernando over Murphy, Oturu or Curry. I'd take Cowan over any PG we have.

To his credit, Oturu hung tough with Fernando.

I think they said Smith was a MD AA? Is that correct? Seems to be quite good for a Fr.

And I will gladly take Daniel, as I think by this time next year he will be holding his own.

This was a game the Gophers could have won had they simply been competent from the free-throw line, but that was not the case. Maryland was the better team, and deserved to win.

And I agree with BB, talent-wise Maryland's top-end talent (Cowan, Fernando, Smith) significantly better than the Gophers. That was apparent last night. Cowan is a fantastic lead guard, and Fernando and Smith both are beasts in the post.

Was impressed with the Terps. A very poised group for such a young team.

Even if we hit a respectable amount of FTs we would've lost that game. The main problem was our second half defense. You're rarely going to win giving up 48 points in the second half. We had absolutely no answer for Cowan and Smith.

I agree that Maryland has more talent than the Gophers. They also are one of the youngest teams in America (they only have two scholarship upperclassmen) and we've seen time and time again young, talented teams lose road games to more experienced teams. Unfortunately, nothing about the Barn from the Gophers defense to the atmosphere made things difficult on that young team.

Smith (I think, maybe one was Fernando?) had two plays that were absolute NBA stuff. One was Smith's dunk through the lane, leaving Murphy standing at the 3 point line. The other was earlier in the game when Smith made a move that buckled Oturu's knees and almost made him fall down. Obviously, I came away very impressed with those two bigs.

Even if we hit a respectable amount of FTs we would've lost that game. The main problem was our second half defense. You're rarely going to win giving up 48 points in the second half. We had absolutely no answer for Cowan and Smith.
I disagree. Totally different game if they make the FTs

I disagree. Totally different game if they make the FTs

Yep. Early in the second half we were up by 8 and would have been up by at least 14 or more points with just a decent FT percentage. That would have changed the energy of the game for sure. That said I think Maryland definitely has the better talent. I thought Coffey matched up better and Oturu played even with Fernando (at least their stats were even). Murphy got totally outplayed by Smith and Cowen was really good compared to whoever we had playing point.

It is shocking to me that Murphy has never been able to develop a mid range jump shot (a real jump shot, not the rocking chair shot he uses) that would make him a threat against these longer players who give him trouble. He gets the ball 15 feet away and they just sit there and sag on him and dare him to shoot. Because he can't or won't do it he dribbles into the crowd and gets his shot blocked or gets a very difficult shot off. If he could shoot and play the high post- he would make our offense run much better against either zone or man defenses.

I miss Nate, too, but I really just wish Jarvis Johnson was able to play. Obviously, I realize that he can't/shouldn't/won't. I think he would have made a big difference in this game.

I miss Nate, too, but I really just wish Jarvis Johnson was able to play. Obviously, I realize that he can't/shouldn't/won't. I think he would have made a big difference in this game.

Yup.

Richard really got hammered with him not being able to play. Potential huge impact.

Yup.

Richard really got hammered with him not being able to play. Potential huge impact.

Jarvis was a huge blow

If Marcus Carr plays against MD...….. we win. he is a zone buster from what I've seen of his play at Pitt.

Jarvis was a huge blow

If Marcus Carr plays against MD...….. we win. he is a zone buster from what I've seen of his play at Pitt.

Carr shot .333 percent from 3 at Pittsburgh last year, decent but not zone busting good. Pitt went 8-24, 0-18 ACC that year.

I do like Carr's 4 assists per game, however he committed 2.8 turnovers per game as well. I am not completely sold on Carr being better than Jelly.

Top Bottom