9-23

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team shoot that poorly from the line

That was RUFF. Maryland played a great game, but it’s really disappointing to lose at home and shoot so poorly at the line.

One bad half and we’re back into sky is falling mode? Cool. Maryland’s 24-27 from the line was unnaturally good, and our FT shooting isn’t good but won’t be this bad most games. Difficulty scoring against the zone is probably a bigger concern than free throw shooting.

One bad half and we’re back into sky is falling mode? Cool. Maryland’s 24-27 from the line was unnaturally good, and our FT shooting isn’t good but won’t be this bad most games. Difficulty scoring against the zone is probably a bigger concern than free throw shooting.

you've been on gopherhole long enough to know that's how it goes

So you didn't see the Gopher-badger game?

Badger last Thursday: 7-17 for 41.2%
Gophers last night: 9-23 for 39.1%

So, no...I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team shoot that poorly from the line.

I remember a Memphis Tigers team that made a Nat. Champ. run a bunch of years ago that shot horrendously every game from the stripe.

The team is shooting 65% for the year. That is awful. Last night was worse than awful. It is a running theme of the season so far.

65% for the year!! ouch! this team has to figure that out. heck even the Badgers game down the stretch they missed 3 straight front ends of a 1 & 1. You cannot do that!

I was very deflated to hear Pitino's answer to the question about the FT shooting: that he didn't want to emphasize it to the players too much and make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Then he goes and blames the loss on it. Am I the only one who sees a cognitive dissonance there?

I understand that a coach doesn't want to hammer on something too much, which can make players tight. That said, the best coaches attack problems head on and have a way of emphasizing something in a way that's productive. I don't know how you overcome this problem without making it an A-priority point of emphasis.

High priority or low priority, I'd like to know what the coaching staff is doing to fix this. Are they just pointing to the gym and telling the players to shoot a bunch of free throws until they're better? There are ways to coach this type of thing up, but that's not it.

7866d5f779c1b2f38370720308f51339.jpg

Gopher FT % last few games

MSM... 76.7%
NCA%T 60.9%
North FL 69.20%
ARST 66.7%
NEB 75.0%
OHIO ST. 59.4%
Okla ST. 76.70%
BC 76.5%

Last edited:

Gopher FT % last few games

MSM... 76.7%
NCA%T 60.9%
North FL 69.20%
ARST 66.7%
NEB 75.0%
OHIO ST. 80.0%
Okla ST. 76.70%
BC 54.20%

Wrong on Ohio State. Ohio State shot 80%. The Gopher was 19-32 for 59.4%
Also wrong on Boston College. We shot 13-17 for 76.5% in that one.

Grabbed the wrong stat line. Thanks for correcting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was very deflated to hear Pitino's answer to the question about the FT shooting: that he didn't want to emphasize it to the players too much and make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Then he goes and blames the loss on it. Am I the only one who sees a cognitive dissonance there?

I understand that a coach doesn't want to hammer on something too much, which can make players tight. That said, the best coaches attack problems head on and have a way of emphasizing something in a way that's productive. I don't know how you overcome this problem without making it an A-priority point of emphasis.

High priority or low priority, I'd like to know what the coaching staff is doing to fix this. Are they just pointing to the gym and telling the players to shoot a bunch of free throws until they're better? There are ways to coach this type of thing up, but that's not it.
I think his point was that the failure at the free throw line affected their defense. Defending well, then penetrating and getting to the line and coming up empty handed again and having to go back and defend well again...he saw the deflation of the defense as the bigger issue.
They're both pretty big issues.
I see your concern and share it.

I think his point was that the failure at the free throw line affected their defense. Defending well, then penetrating and getting to the line and coming up empty handed again and having to go back and defend well again...he saw the deflation of the defense as the bigger issue.
They're both pretty big issues.
I see your concern and share it.

Well, if you can't score and you can't stop your opponent from scoring, then you have a recipe for losing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Am I old fashioned, out of date? How the FUKK does a COLLEGE basketball team not know how to shoot free throws? OMG!!!

I think the Goph's also started 4/5, so they were 5 out of last 18. Under 30%. Remarkably bad.

I think the Goph's also started 4/5, so they were 5 out of last 18. Under 30%. Remarkably bad.

I think some of their players shoot their FTs too quickly without taking a moment to dial in the concentration. I am hoping Pitino IS NOT ignoring this situation and trying to instill a deep breath--anything--to give the players some sort of psychological boost.

The missed FTs didn't just hold our score down, they negatively impacted the psyche of the team during game action.

Was looking at the Big Ten Stats to see where we rank. Currently we are 11th at .659 wit Iowa leading the way at .760.

What I found interesting though is that we are second in the conference in the number of made free throws and second in the conference in the number of attempts. So we are getting to the line at a really good rate we just are not converting enough.

Attempts:
IA - 463 through 16 games
MN - 411 through 15 games
MSU - 354 through 16 games

Makes:
IA - 352
MN - 271
MSU - 256

I think some of their players shoot their FTs too quickly without taking a moment to dial in the concentration. I am hoping Pitino IS NOT ignoring this situation and trying to instill a deep breath--anything--to give the players some sort of psychological boost.

The missed FTs didn't just hold our score down, they negatively impacted the psyche of the team during game action.

It is similar to a turn over.

Top Bottom