Default Failing forward - Wow

Arizona Cardinals just announced they are hiring Kliff Kingsbury for their new Head Coach. Holy crap.

What a curious ride for KK; fired as the head coach at Texas Tech less than 2 months ago, hired by USC to be just the Offensive Coordinator, and before he even coaches so much as a spring practice at USC, he gets an NFL HC gig.

As an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder, I donít know what the heck to think. Iíve always been a fan of Kingsbury actually but this is a strange move. Even stranger, apparently KK was being sought by at least one other NFL team.

Helps to be good looking I guess. Letís face it, if he looked like Kramer from Seinfeld, heís not getting a gig like this.

If anything, it will be interesting times coming up!
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    Arizona Cardinals just announced they are hiring Kliff Kingsbury for their new Head Coach. Holy crap.

What a curious ride for KK; fired as the head coach at Texas Tech less than 2 months ago, hired by USC to be just the Offensive Coordinator, and before he even coaches so much as a spring practice at USC, he gets an NFL HC gig.

As an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder, I donít know what the heck to think. Iíve always been a fan of Kingsbury actually but this is a strange move. Even stranger, apparently KK was being sought by at least one other NFL team.

Helps to be good looking I guess. Letís face it, if he looked like Kramer from Seinfeld, heís not getting a gig like this.

I thought the same initially but he is considered a quarterback guru and the Cardinals do have millions invested in a young QB. Based on that it makes since; Iím curious to see how he builds out his staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

And Bruce Arians goes to TB.

My guess is that they are looking at the offensive output of his teams and figure that a good DC can clean up what TT was lacking on that side of the ball. The NFL has been making a youth movement lately as well. With McVay and Nagy having the success that they've had, it's not surprising that teams are looking to the college ranks for younger coaches with new age mentalities.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Kliff coached Mahomes at TT.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think we'll see more of this as teams try to hit the lottery and find the next offensive guru like McVay or whoever. I'm interested to see if it changes the league or if old school prevails.
    Who hates iowa?

You saying he isn't attractive?

51ZqQui9zTL.jpg
    Aloha Mr. Hand

I'd love to see teams innovate the O-line. You have to have so many people on the line of scrimmage for a legal formation. Why have 5 of those be lineman directly in front of the QB? Why not put the QB in the gun, and put more people on the line at the edges of the field? Some mobile guards could plow the way on a WR screen. A lot of other creative things could be done by moving people on the line of scrimmage around.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    And Bruce Arians goes to TB.
    I really liked Arians when he was the Cards coach; always entertaining, sharp offensive mind, threw the ball down the field; made for exciting football. One of the only teams I've ever cheered for that I legitimately always thought they had a good chance of converting on 3rd and 12.

However, I know a guy who owns a few suites at the Cards stadium (now State Farm Stadium instead of Univ of PHX), travels with the team sometimes on road trips, hangs with owner, GM and HC sometimes. He said Arians is a drunk and a complete tool, and he would fire him if he were his employee. As a result, the only downside with Tampa hiring Arians is, I could easily see Arians one day just up and walk out, say f'k you, I don't need this gig anymore (because he doesn't) and leave your team hanging in the middle of the week in the middle of the season.

You're never going to have any control over a guy like that. The person in the relationship that cares the least has the most power. I hope it works, but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    My guess is that they are looking at the offensive output of his teams and figure that a good DC can clean up what TT was lacking on that side of the ball. The NFL has been making a youth movement lately as well. With McVay and Nagy having the success that they've had, it's not surprising that teams are looking to the college ranks for younger coaches with new age mentalities.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Kliff coached Mahomes at TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    I think we'll see more of this as teams try to hit the lottery and find the next offensive guru like McVay or whoever. I'm interested to see if it changes the league or if old school prevails.
    Like any head coach at any level, I think it's about two things; being a good LEADER, and having the right people around you. McVay gets some credit for their success but having Wade Phillips as DC and literally not having to worry about that side of the ball at all is a major luxury. You HAVE to surround yourself with the right people, people who know their craft so you can focus on leading the team.

Saunders can be successful with the Wolves if he has the right people around him. Sh*t, call me crazy but I think Brewster could have been fine with the Gophers but he never got the coordinators figured out. Too much turnover, no plan where he wanted to go; if he could have hired and maintained some good coordinators, I actually think he could have been fine. But maybe nobody wanted to work for him, who knows.

Blog Entries

I really liked Arians when he was the Cards coach; always entertaining, sharp offensive mind, threw the ball down the field; made for exciting football. One of the only teams I've ever cheered for that I legitimately always thought they had a good chance of converting on 3rd and 12.

However, I know a guy who owns a few suites at the Cards stadium (now State Farm Stadium instead of Univ of PHX), travels with the team sometimes on road trips, hangs with owner, GM and HC sometimes. He said Arians is a drunk and a complete tool, and he would fire him if he were his employee. As a result, the only downside with Tampa hiring Arians is, I could easily see Arians one day just up and walk out, say f'k you, I don't need this gig anymore (because he doesn't) and leave your team hanging in the middle of the week in the middle of the season.

You're never going to have any control over a guy like that. The person in the relationship that cares the least has the most power. I hope it works, but who knows
    Hmm. Hadn't heard that about him. Surprising.

Default Failing forward - Wow

Like any head coach at any level, I think it's about two things; being a good LEADER, and having the right people around you. McVay gets some credit for their success but having Wade Phillips as DC and literally not having to worry about that side of the ball at all is a major luxury. You HAVE to surround yourself with the right people, people who know their craft so you can focus on leading the team.

Saunders can be successful with the Wolves if he has the right people around him. Sh*t, call me crazy but I think Brewster could have been fine with the Gophers but he never got the coordinators figured out. Too much turnover, no plan where he wanted to go; if he could have hired and maintained some good coordinators, I actually think he could have been fine. But maybe nobody wanted to work for him, who knows.
    Wow! Absolutely great points and I completely agree with you. McVay and whoever hired him made sure he had people around him who complemented him. I watched up close while Wisconsin and Alvarez did the same thing with a young Bielema. We had a great football coach in Glen Mason who had a brilliant offensive mind but a incompetent defensive mind. Could you imagine him with Ted Roof or Tracy Claey on the defensemen side of the ball? The right AD could have made that hire.

Brewster would still be winning Big Ten Championships if he were hired at Wisconsin or here with a capable AD. The right AD would have made sure Brewster had and kept the ďrightĒ coaches around him. Brewster lost the guys he wanted because the Gophers wouldnít pay them.

Klingsbury is a QB whisperer, the GM needs to make sure he has the appropriate staff around him. One that takes into account his strengths and weaknesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read an article that speculated that with no NFL contacts/relationships, he will have a hard time finding quality people to join his staff. A few more years of offense like this in the NFL, I wonder if Leach would ever get a look.

Quote Originally Posted by balds View Post
    I read an article that speculated that with no NFL contacts/relationships, he will have a hard time finding quality people to join his staff. A few more years of offense like this in the NFL, I wonder if Leach would ever get a look.
    I’m actually not that worried about that (KK being able to fill a good staff). I just don’t think there’s any way he walks into that interview and wins the job without having had some pretty strong names to throw down on the table that he said were committed to him if he wins the job. I would think for an NFL head coaching gig, a pretty big portion of the interview is how you’re going to fill your staff. We’ll see pretty soon.

But that’s probably the huge difference between Leach and some folks like KK, McVay, et al; there probably AREN’T any decent NFL talents that would join Leach. I’m guessing KK is a pretty charismatic guy and coaches in the league hear who the hot names are and who’s likely going to get a gig. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has no trouble at all filling a staff.

I’m also not that worried about his record at T. Tech; pretty sure it’s hard to get a lot of kids to go to Lubbock, especially for defensive recruits going to an offensive school like TT.

Probably a little bit of a business decision too for the Cardinals; even if KK doesn’t win big at Arizona, he’s going to put an entertaining product on the field and that will help sell some tickets and beer and hot dogs