***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Should somebody start a Pitino Firing Watch thread. He was outcoached and outclassed again tonight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Turning point for me was when game was tied and Washington did his usual "take the game over because I'm God Jelly Fam." and they got the ball and went to the other end and hit a three. Everything went down hill from there, and Washington got pulled quick as hell. I feel like he shouldn't even see more than 2 mins a game.

We were still up 7 in the second half when they threw a zone on us and we peed down our leg.

True. Point stands. Turgeon is a good coach and has some real talent on that team.

Turning point for me was when game was tied and Washington did his usual "take the game over because I'm God Jelly Fam." and they got the ball and went to the other end and hit a three. Everything went down hill from there, and Washington got pulled quick as hell. I feel like he shouldn't even see more than 2 mins a game.

You're absolutely right. We lost by 15 points because of that one play by Washington. Before that we had Maryland on the ropes.

You're absolutely right. We lost by 15 points because of that one play by Washington. Before that we had Maryland on the ropes.

I said "Turning point," not we lost because of it. Bad at reading?

He should make them run wind sprints in front of the fans. Missing that many free throws is an embarrassment to basketball. I know there were other factors but the one thing you should always control is 70%+ from the line. Should be even better on your home floor.

They simply have a better team than us. Better athletes, better shooters. Plain and simple.

You just wish Murphy would have been able to learn the restraint earlier in his career on some of the silly fouls. What his numbers would have been is hard to fathom. The look Pitiino gave him after the 3rd foul on the rebound was classic. Just one of disbelief.

I know. You can't make this stuff up. One says we lost because of the refs. Another says we lost because of that bad drive by Washington.

We lost because:

1) Maryland is a better team (players and coaching); and
2) our free throw shooting was abysmal.

They simply have a better team than us. Better athletes, better shooters. Plain and simple.
Disagree. They made more shots than us and FTs. That's it.

This game was alot closer than 15 pts loss

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Total FGs made and 3pt FGs made were identical. Difference was MD 24/27 FTM v MN 9/23 FTs made

I agree with this.

This game is a classic example of why efficiency rankings are overrated.

We lose by 15.
Against Wisconsin we win by a few.
Iowa lost to Wisconsin by 6.

In terms of efficiency, the Iowa loss to Wisconsin is almost halfway between the two games. In real life it is much closer to the Maryland game.

We were still up 7 in the second half when they threw a zone on us and we peed down our leg.
Nice to know that we are well coached enough to counter a g*d[bleep]ed zone defense. Because once they figured out we were under 40% from the FT line, they knew we wouldn't be hitting as many FGs as them.

Disagree. They made more shots than us and FTs. That's it.

This game was alot closer than 15 pts loss

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Better athletes and better shooters end the game with a higher shooting percentage by creating easier shots for themselves and making them.

Never really thought they had much of a chance in this one. Maryland actually has a functioning half-court offensive set featuring good shooters, a reliable inside presence, solid guard play and good coaching.

The Gophers meanwhile have an inside presence and that's about where it ends.

Defensively, they get beat like a drum by quick guards who can penetrate and shoot the ball. Add to that the amount of stupid fouls Murphy, Oturu and the other bigs commit on a regular basis and a team like Maryland will blow you out. Offensively, they have exactly one point guard who plays regular minutes and he's out of control about 70-75 percent of the time. As such, they're constantly standing around and exhibit a lack of flow on offense much of the time.

From here out, they'll have to slug out wins because it's going to be rare (especially against solid competition) that they'll win simply because they play better. Hopefully they can pull wins out against both Illinois and Rutgers.

Last edited:

Total FGs made and 3pt FGs made were identical. Difference was MD 24/27 FTM v MN 9/23 FTs made

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Based on how red hot they were from the field in the second half I would have thought they made more fg as well. That was deja vu to the game at home vs Maryland two years ago.

Murphy has been scouted well and scoring big is not like it was

Should somebody start a Pitino Firing Watch thread. He was outcoached and outclassed again tonight.

Wait at least until the next loss.

I saw the first half while working out, then went grocery shopping. Sounds like I picked a good half of basketball to miss.

1 cup bad FT shooting
2 cups of ****ty 2nd half defense
3 cups of can't score against a zone
1 1/2 cups MD shooting lights out in 2nd half
1 tsp bad reffing ( whatever happened to home cooking? )
2 tbsp dumb **** like stull's pass to nowhere
1 tbsp crowd was never in the game

-----------------
Bake for 40 mins

Horrific team defense in the second half. Free throws is not on the coaches but tolerating putrid defense is.

Top Bottom