B1G Game 4: Gophers Visit Michigan State (1-9-19)

MSU got 2 extra points for each of our 7 excess turnovers. That plus MSU had way more assists. MSU assist-to-turnover ratio about equal to Gopher turnover-to-assist ratio. Other than that, team statistics about the same at the half.

I don't have video, but I heard lots of traveling. Did we get a couple refs that didn't read the rule book on traveling?

Last edited:

MSU has been really impressive this 3rd quarter, have to start a run soon to have any chance.

Can't seem to rise above that 13-pt deficit barrier.

Well, they got the deficit down to 11 at the end of the third.
Gophers have used 22 min off the bench.
I wonder how this will end.

67-56 after 3. Don't see this ending well unless Bell suddenly can do a lot of her magic and MSU goes cold.

MSU is just alot better team, so much more depth.

MN calls a timeout. Now 77-59 with 7:16 to go. We continue to miss, they don't. I suspect we will be out of the top 25 after this one.

No one should care, but Illinois, coming off a win over the Gophers this weekend, is losing to Rutgers 30-11 in Champagne.

You're right, Eagan. I don't expect the Gophers to see the top 25 again this year. Fun while it lasted.

Sounds like Bell is gettin goin, but entire Spartan team is gettin goin better on the 4th.

Not a top 25 team or even a NCAA tourney team at this point. Cupcake schedule hid the lack of depth and how offensively challenged this team is.

At this point we should put the rest of our bench in. Give them some experience. Leaving the starters in doesn't serve anyone.

I think the second unit shows better ball movement than the first.

Gophers 1 of 11 from 3 (Pitts 1 of 8). T. Bello only 3 rebounds with 5 turnovers.

Gopher weaknesses showed up in a big way tonight. Shooting, turnovers, depth. This team needs Hubbard back in the worst way.

As I have suspected, the Gopher starters are wearing down so early in Big Ten play with a short bench. If they are going to lose anyway, why not let more bench players play and shorten the minutes to the starters? We need to develop the players who will be here next year.

Start looking toward next year, and hope that they make it into the tournament this year.

................................................. MIN................MSU
teamstats.jpg

Looking at those stats, I would say we got beat pretty good in all aspects of the game. I wonder if Stollings knew that what she had left after Carlie graduated would be this challenged to score? Hopefully Whalen will be able to recruit and build a deeper team down the road.

Looking at those stats, I would say we got beat pretty good in all aspects of the game. I wonder if Stollings knew that what she had left after Carlie graduated would be this challenged to score? Hopefully Whalen will be able to recruit and build a deeper team down the road.

She knew, she went looking for a new job for a reason then came back to Coyle to give him a chance to give her a raise and extension and he said no way. Her recruiting class looks real weak so far too. Finau has played less than minute in conf games and averaging 1.3 ppg overall, stewart has already left houston. Happy ruled ineligible from the ncaa and Byrne barely playing on a team lacking depth.

It's was a pedestrian offense and a no pressure defense. Maybe if your posts are Sylvia Fowles and Rebekkah Brunson this works; but Whalen needs to take advantage of some of this teams quickness.

Lamke has some decent posts moves. They should use her more for scoring and drawing fouls. The outside game just isn't there.
Defense turning into offense has all but disappeared.

Being short-handed and fatigue is an excuse, but the reality appears to be that Whalen is getting out-coached by experienced Big Ten coaches.

And, since we continue to not hear anything about Hubbard's status, one would guess we've lost her for this season?

And, since we continue to not hear anything about Hubbard's status, one would guess we've lost her for this season?

I heard she was getting close a couple weeks ago and looks like she was at least dressed out for shootaround today. So hopefully soon.

Well, I just watched the Gopher Coaches show, which I taped since it was on during the game. Whalen said that they needed to play with more urgency more than once. She indicated that Pitts needs to just get her confidence back and she needs to understand that she is now the 2, no longer the freshman playing alongside two players (Bell & Wagner) who would draw most of the attention.

Not a good game, to many turnovers panicky plays. Turn the page and beat Iowa. Gophers need a win.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Well, I just watched the Gopher Coaches show, which I taped since it was on during the game. Whalen said that they needed to play with more urgency more than once. She indicated that Pitts needs to just get her confidence back and she needs to understand that she is now the 2, no longer the freshman playing alongside two players (Bell & Wagner) who would draw most of the attention.

By “she is now the 2”, did she mean Pitts is the SG or the #2 option? Do they upload this show on YouTube? It’s strange that they broadcast it at the same time as the game.

By “she is now the 2”, did she mean Pitts is the SG or the #2 option? Do they upload this show on YouTube? It’s strange that they broadcast it at the same time as the game.

option, its usually on the fox9 website the day after.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...big-ten-womens-college-basketball/2525186002/

Wednesday marked the fourth game back for Colley since missing just over a month with a sprained MCL. And MSU coach Suzy Merchant thought Colley looked the most like herself in the No. 23-ranked Spartans' 86-68 win over No. 18 Minnesota at Breslin Center.

"I know she had 28 (points) at Northwestern, but defensively she didn't look like herself," Merchant said. "I would tell you that today I enjoyed watching her because I felt she had that good combination of who she is. She does a little bit of everything extremely well. She shared the ball, she took good shots.

It helped the Spartans improve to 12-3 and even their record in the Big Ten at 2-2 heading into another three games in seven-day stretch that starts with a contest at Ohio State on Monday and also features a home game against No. 9-ranked Maryland and Big Ten-leading Rutgers.

It also gave MSU its third victory over a top-20 squad. MSU is 3-1 when facing teams ranked in the top 25 of the Associated Press poll this season.

"This was a very important win for us because when you come off two losses you can either get really down or you can turn around and pick it up with your team," said Sidney Cooks, who scored a career-high 21 points Wednesday. "That's what we did. We trusted one another, we trusted coach and she trusted us and we decided to just put our foot down."

Top Bottom