Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    Dabo told the Gophers or any other college team it too, can be national champions if they are willing to believe and put the work in.
    No question they got better results immediately with his arrival. It also certainly helps that Clemson has been a frequent top 25 ranked program and had something like four losing seasons in the last 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fan of Ray Williams View Post
    From 1977 to 2008 they had 3 teams that were under .500, went to 24 bowls games in that stretch. You sure you have the right Clemson?
    I see a lot of seasons hover around .500 for Clemson. Those teams compared to Clemson now are considered trash to the fan base now. 7-6, 8-5, 9-4 type seasons are nothing to hype on unless your gopher fan cause that’s all we have had. If Goohers start having 14-1, 13-1 type seasons I’d say every our teams today were trash compared to what’s going on at time.

Gophers haven’t been relevant is so long it’s sad. I really hope P.J. Fleck turns this around to where we look at 9-4 type seasons as down years.

Point I was trying to make is Clemson hasn’t always been like they are now, in their history they’ve only have had a flash here or there with these tyoe seasons. Clemson hit home run with right coach, hopefully Minnesota did that with Fleck.

Glad someone brought this topic up. I see people calling PJ a used car salesman and people think he is all about himself. I even saw a friend post on facebook wondering what PJ would have sounded like after the game last night. He admitted he is not a fan of PJ and his "me first" approach. I really don't get it.

Just because Dabo uses words like "God" and "Our Savior" doesn't mean he is unlike most other coaches. Listen to the majority of coaches when they talk. Most say the say the same things. "Athletically, Spiritually, Socially, Academically, Religiously, Become Men, Leave here a better person, connecting, communicating etc. etc. The new K-State coach used most of these words in his introduction to his team just weeks ago.

The one difference is the Row the Boat marketing tool. With success I think that tool will die and no longer be needed. Look at all the young coaches being hired in the pros, this is nothing new. Young coaches have been hired for eternity. It's cyclical and trendy right now. They all used these terms and phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxyJR1 View Post
    Glad someone brought this topic up. I see people calling PJ a used car salesman and people think he is all about himself. I even saw a friend post on facebook wondering what PJ would have sounded like after the game last night. He admitted he is not a fan of PJ and his "me first" approach. I really don't get it.

Just because Dabo uses words like "God" and "Our Savior" doesn't mean he is unlike most other coaches. Listen to the majority of coaches when they talk. Most say the say the same things. "Athletically, Spiritually, Socially, Academically, Religiously, Become Men, Leave here a better person, connecting, communicating etc. etc. The new K-State coach used most of these words in his introduction to his team just weeks ago.

The one difference is the Row the Boat marketing tool. With success I think that tool will die and no longer be needed. Look at all the young coaches being hired in the pros, this is nothing new. Young coaches have been hired for eternity. It's cyclical and trendy right now. They all used these terms and phrases.
    Row the Boat will go away as soon as PJ's relationship to his deceased son ends.
    If you believe Row the Boat is (only) a marketing tool, you're missing the origin and purpose behind it.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxyJR1 View Post

I'm not getting into any sort of comparison with PJ.

But the way Dabo handled the Kelly Bryant situation showed me that he likely is a guy who practices what he preaches. It would have been incredibly easy for him to play Bryant quarter before handing the reigns over to Lawrence this year. In fact, Clemson could EASILY have needed Bryant.

Clemson already had two QBs transfer out. Hunter Johnson transferred to NW. Another guy transferred to a Sun Belt school. Without Bryant, Lawrence's backup QB was essentially going to be a 4th stringer, at best.

Dabo was upfront with Bryant and did the right thing despite it jeopardizing his legitimate chance at another national championship. It worked out for Clemson, but it easily could have been a disaster.