Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is it weird that Clemson has only played Big 10 teams 5 times? Their games against Maryland, Nebraska, and Penn State were all from before they were in the Big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    For those of you who want to browse our history:
    http://www.winsipedia.com/minnesota
    The Gophers have never lost to Minneapolis Boat Club!

Still looking for that elusive first win against Iowa Navy Pre-Flight, however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the link. Any reason why we've played Pitt and Washington so many times compared to other teams in their conference?
    Gil Dobie (Hastings, Mn.) might be why we played Washington so many times?

"Early life and playing career
    Dobie was born in Hastings, Minnesota. He played football as an end and quarterback at the University of Minnesota.[4]

Coaching career
    Dobie achieved his greatest success at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he had a remarkable 58–0–3"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Dobie

Quote Originally Posted by Jike Spingleton View Post

0-3, ouch! We'll get 'em one day!

So is Texas.

We beat Texas in our one meeting.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

How about Maryland? I know they have beaten Clemosn, but have they ever beaten Bama?

Quote Originally Posted by metrolax View Post
    How about Maryland? I know they have beaten Clemosn, but have they ever beaten Bama?
    Terps are 1-2 vs the Tide. Last met in 74.

http://www.winsipedia.com/maryland/vs/alabama
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

This is all well and good until you realize the Gophers are the only Big 10 team to lose to both NDSU and South Dakota, not just once, but two times each.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    This is all well and good until you realize the Gophers are the only Big 10 team to lose to both NDSU and South Dakota, not just once, but two times each.
    Without going through to look, the Gophers are presumably the only Big Ten team to have even played both NDSU and USD - let alone playing against each twice.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Without going through to look, the Gophers are presumably the only Big Ten team to have even played both NDSU and USD - let alone playing against each twice.
    Wisconsin played them both twice. As have Iowa and MSU. Northwestern has played both, but NDSU only once.

Even though the Gophers were awful at the time, I liked that we played Pittsburgh, knowing that there was some history dating back 80 plus years when both programs were powerhouses. Beyond that fact that both programs pissed on themselves when destroying historic on campus stadiums, there is a lot in common as noted in a previous thread.

The Washington Huskies have a huge amount of history with Minnesota and a series with them has been something I have wanted to see for a very long time (1977 last game?) A Gopher football themed train package to Seattle would probably sell out if marketed by Creative Charters.

Travel to and from SEATAC is easy and I think the fans of both teams would enjoy Septembers in Seattle and Minneapolis.

Of course I have brothers that live on Bainbridge Island and in West Seattle so I'd have an even better trip than most, but Seattle is a great destination.
    Last edited by oak_street1981; 01-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jike Spingleton View Post

Interesting history on Iowa Pre-Flight. 3 seasons (26-5).
    Coached by Bernie Bierman in 1942.
    2nd in AP Poll and Service Academy Champions in 1943. Bierman was Assistant under Faurot who won a National Championship in MD
    1944 they were 6th in AP Poll.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oak_street1981 View Post
    Even though the Gophers were awful at the time, I liked that we played Pittsburgh, knowing that there was some history dating back 80 plus years when both programs were powerhouses. Beyond that fact that both programs pissed on themselves when destroying historic on campus stadiums, there is a lot in common as noted in a previous thread.

The Washington Huskies have a huge amount of history with Minnesota and a series with them has been something I have wanted to see for a very long time (1977 last game?) A Gopher football themed train package to Seattle would probably sell out if marketed by Creative Charters.

Travel to and from SEATAC is easy and I think the fans of both teams would enjoy Septembers in Seattle and Minneapolis.

Of course I have brothers that live on Bainbridge Island and in West Seattle so I'd have an even better trip than most, but Seattle is a great destination.
    I'd go in a heartbeat! If given enough notice, I'd try to sneak in Lake Louise and Banff before or after the game. That or Vancouver. Vancouver for the Halibut. i'll be here all week.

I was at that Music City Bowl when we beat Alabama. Amazing thing is we out-rushed them like that, and still almost lost the game!