STrib: Brock Stull might get more chances to provide Gophers a boost

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

There could be a different Gophers backcourt rotation forming than the one we saw for the first 13 games — the one we saw before their biggest victory of the season.

It’s been no secret Richard Pitino has been frustrated with the inconsistency of Isaiah Washington. The coach didn’t let that hold the Gophers back, turning point guard over to Amir Coffey. The junior quickly grew into the role and now leads the Big Ten in scoring in conference play at 24 points per game.

Washington, a four-star recruit from New York City, went from being Coffey’s backup to not playing at all in Thursday’s road victory over then-No. 22 Wisconsin, the Gophers’ first in Madison since 2009. So does that mean Washington rarely sees the court moving forward?

“It’s not like he’s being buried on the bench,” Pitino said. “That doesn’t mean Isaiah is not going to play anymore.”

The backcourt of Coffey, senior Dupree McBrayer and freshman Gabe Kalscheur worked well against the Badgers, though, and graduate transfer Brock Stull was the main spark off the bench. We will see if Pitino sticks with this rotation Tuesday, when Maryland visits Williams Arena.

You could make the case the Gophers (12-2, 2-1 Big Ten) played better without Washington, especially defensively. Still, Pitino has to decide if the 6-1 sophomore’s playmaking ability — last month he had 22 assists in a two-game span — is worth more than having Stull’s maturity and experience on the floor.

“If [Stull’s] playing well, it’s very hard to play 9-10 guys,” Pitino said. “I thought he was adjusting well throughout the course of the game. I thought the game fit him. That’s why Isaiah didn’t play.”

http://www.startribune.com/brock-stull-might-get-more-chances-to-provide-gophers-a-boost/504029952/

Go Gophers!!

IW will get opportunities. There are many teams Stull will have trouble matching up with defensively for extended minutes. Stull has to assert himself and bury threes to keep minutes vs lots of Big Ten teams.

If we need to push the pace it would be silly not to have IW leading us.

We don’t know what happens in practice but Pitino alludes to work ethic a lot and I do believe he is sending a message. Stull heard it constantly the first three months...musta responded. IW will too.

Stull will take some of Gabe's minutes as well, if he doesn't start shooting the ball better

I like IW, but get very frustrated with two parts of his game. He is a terrible off-the-ball defender who often stands up straight and loses track of his man. Stull may not be quick or athletic, but he does work to keep himself in proper position for his team. IW is also a human pause button whenever he catches the ball in the halfcourt. Our offensive flow stops when he touches the ball. Stull makes the right play (doesn't try to do too much) and keeps the ball moving.

I love IW in transition. I love his vision and ability to create shots for himself as well as others. I think we will need him moving forward, but I understand Pitino's frustration and hope this can serve as the wake-up call that spurs him forward.

Stull can find the open man as well. I watched the replay of last years game when they beath Chicago-Loyola. He lit them up for 23.

He plays within himself which is the opposite of IW.

I say give Washington a lot of playing time against the likes of Illinois, Rutgers, Penn St. If the matchup dictates it, I'm fine with playing Stull over him.

We'll probably need some "good Jelly" in games that figure to be up tempo.

I'm thinking in particular Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, MSU, though I'm not sure Jelly trying to guard someone vs. MSU would go well.

Pitino is realizing that a one-word answer regarding Washington's status won't cut it with the fans and media. He's having to explain himself.

Pitino is realizing that a one-word answer regarding Washington's status won't cut it with the fans and media. He's having to explain himself.
Honestly, I expect him to be gone. Ponds will likely enter the draft this year and so I can see Washington going to St. John's. There's talk that St. John's might start playing its Big East home games at Madison Square Garden, and I find it hard to believe Washington would turn down a chance to play there.

As far as I am concerned, the Gophers have Marcus Carr and Payton Willis becoming eligible next year and both those guys are capable point guards. Both weren't that much behind Washington in terms of recruiting. Carr was a 4-star and Payton Willis was top 150... Having those guys next year will be huge

Last edited:

Honestly, I expect him to be gone. Ponds will likely enter the draft this year and so I can see Washington going to St. John's. There's talk that St. John's might start playing its Big East home games at Madison Square Garden, and I find it hard to believe Washington would turn down a chance to play there.

As far as I am concerned, the Gophers have Marcus Carr and Payton Willis becoming eligible next year and both those guys are capable point guards. Both weren't that much behind Washington in terms of recruiting. Carr was a 4-star and Payton Willis was top 150... Having those guys next year will be huge

If Isaiah's playing time remains low, or he accumulates many more DNPs, then I think its reasonable he would look elsewhere. Hopefully thats not the case since I still believe he is an unique talent and a nice young man.

A lot of quality comments here, but I do not care who plays as long as we win. We start losing, then I care a lot. BTW, great comments on Carr and Willis. Carr starts at PG next year. Would have this year. Hope we are winning so I can just enjoy without caring who is not on the floor!

A lot of quality comments here, but I do not care who plays as long as we win. We start losing, then I care a lot. BTW, great comments on Carr and Willis. Carr starts at PG next year. Would have this year. Hope we are winning so I can just enjoy without caring who is not on the floor!

Good point. Winning cures a lot of ills. It gets a lot harder to argue with decisions if the team is consistently winning and playing at a high level.

Heard Pitino on over the lunch hour with Grim on KFAN. Had a good positive bit to say about IW.
Said it's hard to play more than 9 guys in a game and when the starters are playing well, then you want to get them back in the game a little quicker after a rest.
When Stull went in, he was playing well, so that is why IW didn't play.
Had Stull not played well then IW would have gotten some time vs. Wisc.
Same thing happened with Jarvis as Hurt played well in his 10 minutes.
He also said Isaiah has some things to work on and he knows it and has been trying to improve in practice. He has kept a good attitude and will
get some PT in future games.

I am ready for the stull experiment to end.
Horrible on defense.
Horrible on offense with the exception of some made 3s.

I am ready for the stull experiment to end.
Horrible on defense.
Horrible on offense with the exception of some made 3s.

He looks like the guard version of Konate. You forgot the passes to the other team.

yeah I was going to post this yesterday already....but this team isn't winning many games with Stull getting more than a handful of meaningful minutes in a game

Top Bottom