Ciarrocca a candidate for the West Virginia Offensive Coordinator job?

Did anybody remember the GH thread where PJ Fleck was telegraphing early in the season about coaches leaving for other bigger jobs in coaching. <b>Didn't he say he even welcome and encourages it. For coaches to pursue their own dreams or something like that.</b>

Maybe there was some discussion between him and Kirk Ciarrocca.

He did say that. I remember thinking how nice that was - in contrast to all those coaches out there who say they don’t want their assistants to be successful or pursue their dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time this program gets close to turning the corner, it gets snatched away.

Disagree, we have a big time head coach who can handle it. Would hate to see KC go, but every confidence in Fleck. This ^^^ is typical Gopher fan thinking that doesn’t apply with our current HC. GF is in great hands.

KC has a son who committed to play lacrosse for Monmouth in New Jersey. That school is about a 6 hours drive from West Virginia. Could he be making the move to be closer to his son for when he is in college? (he is a senior this year).

Disagree, we have a big time head coach who can handle it. Would hate to see KC go, but every confidence in Fleck. This ^^^ is typical Gopher fan thinking that doesn’t apply with our current HC. GF is in great hands.

Patterson is an exciting candidate. A good program is always hiring successors to people who move up or out, so this is part of the deal.

I hope KC stays. The move to WVU makes no sense. If he goes there is something behind the scenes. More likely PJ wanted him out or KC wanted out?

Or it’s 4 hours from his hometown with a guy who worked for him, at a school that’s had a hell of a lot more success in the last 25 years than Minnesota, but yer prolly right.

Last edited:

Ciarrocca grew up in PA, went to Temple, coached most of his life out east, wife coached lacrosse at Delaware, his kid is a senior at wayzata heading to Monmouth in jersey to play lacrosse...his daughter was a star soccer player at Rutgers...maybe wife and he want to be closer to family and friends

No, no, Spoofin has it all figured out. None of what you said makes any sense.

He did say that. I remember thinking how nice that was - in contrast to all those coaches out there who say they don’t want their assistants to be successful or pursue their dreams.

:clap:

Or it’s 4 hours from his hometown with a guy who worked for him at a school that’s had a hell of a lot more success in the last 25 years than Minnesota, but yer prolly right.

No, no, Spoofin has it all figured out. None of what you said makes any sense.

So, you like your speculation more than mine. That’s fine. I was savaged for not taking KHH’s Dad’s word for that move too. I’m sticking by my theory here.

Personally, I think it's a robust sign when good talent is hired and then leaves for other heights and challenges. Lots of other good coaches available to take their places.

Conspiracy theory with nothing to offer as proof: Clay Patterson was hired, Fleck liked what he saw and heard from this innovative offensive mind, began using Patterson's ideas more than KC's ideas, KC saw the writing on the wall, and bolted. Plausible?

How is Kirk as a recruiter? You never really heard his name brought up about recruiting. Maybe PJ has a better fit both schematically and on the recruiting trail? I really liked Kirk’s offense, just trying to make sense of this.

So, you like your speculation more than mine. That’s fine. I was savaged for not taking KHH’s Dad’s word for that move too. I’m sticking by my theory here.

I think you're right.

John DeFilippo is available and he wouldn’t even need to find a place to live.

We can not stand to lose a coordinator from a team that went 3-6 in the conference. There is no telling to what depths we might sink.

Clay Patterson looks like a good candidate and -may- be a better recruiting personality based on nothing other than what few interviews and twit posts I’ve seen. Patterson’s coaching background is encouraging. Change is inevitable so if Ciarrocca is actually leaving have to hope the offense gets even better and more innovative next season.

Personally, I think it's a robust sign when good talent is hired and then leaves for other heights and challenges. Lots of other good coaches available to take their places.

Conspiracy theory with nothing to offer as proof: Clay Patterson was hired, Fleck liked what he saw and heard from this innovative offensive mind, began using Patterson's ideas more than KC's ideas, KC saw the writing on the wall, and bolted. Plausible?

One little problem with that: it’s a lateral move at best - he might not be calling plays and one tweet stated he might be a co-offensive coordinator. If it was the head coaching gig, you pat him on the back and use that as promotional material for the next man up.

This might have been in the works since last year. I thought the Clay Patterson hire seemed a little strange at the time. A head coach (albeit juco) who was renowned for his offenses taking a position coach job seemed weird. You’d think he would have had his pick of G5 or FCS o coordinator jobs.

Maybe Kirk told PJ he’d give him one more year and then start looking around, get more exposure, more varied experience that could help him keep moving up the ladder.

So PJ went after Patterson with a promise of a likely promotion in a year

You know, when they hired Patterson, I too thought it odd. Good angle. I'm buying it.

If KC leaves, I am not concerned in the least. There are so many young, dynamic, hungry coaches that would salivate to inherit this kind of talent. Hope KC stays if PJ wants him to stay. If not, Gophers will be just fine.

If KC leaves, I am not concerned in the least. There are so many young, dynamic, hungry coaches that would salivate to inherit this kind of talent. Hope KC stays if PJ wants him to stay. If not, Gophers will be just fine.

All this coaching turnover is just part of Fleck's Master plan.

No thanks. We should stay far, far away from Schiano
He could coach D line help with linebackers. Schiano good football coach. I would not blame Fleck if he hired him, Schiano is a good football coach.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I think we got it- Schiano is a good football coach

He could coach D line help with linebackers. Schiano good football coach. I would not blame Fleck if he hired him, Schiano is a good football coach.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Yeah. His defense at Ohio State this past season was awesome.

If K.C. leaves, I hope we actually looK at options before hiring. I like what Rossi was able to do at the end of the year, but it strIkes me as odd that we didn’t take a look at what happened around the country after the season. There has been a lot of movement with high quality DCs that could have been better hires. Not saying they would have been, but surprised we didn’t look seriously at options there, and if K.C. leaves, I hope we look at options. Then again, a couple of moves make more sense of K.C. leaves as others have pointed out.

Top Bottom