Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Ciarrocca a candidate for the West Virginia Offensive Coordinator job?

Buzz about it on Twitter and some of the message boards.

Burns is certainly coyly hinting about it. That would suck

This seems odd on the surface if true. He grew up in Pennsylvania and has no obvious connection to the state of West Virginia or the school. Maybe he'd be getting a massive pay bump, which I doubt. He'd also be leaving a program seemingly on the rise for another with a brand new coach who may or may not be any good at the Power 5 level.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    This seems odd on the surface if true. He grew up in Pennsylvania and has no obvious connection to the state of West Virginia or the school. Maybe he'd be getting a massive pay bump, which I doubt. He'd also be leaving a program seemingly on the rise for another with a brand new coach who may or may not be any good at the Power 5 level.
    He's also going to a conference where he wouldn't have to contend with much defense.

That would be really disappointing to me. For the first time in a long while we had an offense that continued to get better as the season progressed, was innovative, and got a lot of production out of decent talent.
    Just say no, Kirk.

Blog Entries

Just don’t see it happening...Gophers should be able to match that offer

Does PJ have another candidate in mind? I agree - WVU is not a job you move laterally to unless there are extenuating circumstances. Is there someone on staff or on the market (or soon to be) that PJ has a coaching crush on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like a weird fit.

Neal Brown was hired as a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach disciple. He made a career as an OC/QB coach.

It seems weird that someone with that kind of pedigree would hire someone from outside of that coaching tree entirely.

Who would be our new OC? Matt Simon?

His connection would be to Neal Brown, WVU’s HC. He was a WRs coach (albeit for 1 season) for Coach KC when he was an Offensive Coordinator at Delaware. He’s probably had him in mind as he’s elevated through the ranks. IMO, the U needs to match the offer or make it a better one. He needs to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherphile View Post
    Does PJ have another candidate in mind? I agree - WVU is not a job you move laterally to unless there are extenuating circumstances. Is there someone on staff or on the market (or soon to be) that PJ has a coaching crush on?
    No inside info at all, but if this happens it seems likely that Matt Simon would be promoted to OC (still coaching WRs) and we'd then be in the market for a QB coach.

Matt Simon is a good coach but he's only coached WR's in his career. Usually you see either QB coaches or at least some variety in positions.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherNuts View Post
    Buzz about it on Twitter and some of the message boards.
    One tweet linking to a message board qualifies as buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by WinLoseOrTy View Post
    Matt Simon is a good coach but he's only coached WR's in his career. Usually you see either QB coaches or at least some variety in positions.
    Fleck was only ever a WR coach and went straight to a head coaching position.

Fleck was only ever a WR coach and went straight to a head coaching position.
    Yup. Good coaches know how to coach multiple positions even if they haven’t before