Ben Coleman Passing Per Damian Johnson

Wow that's too bad.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It would be very appropriate to have a moment of silence Tuesday night. Ben was two years a Gopher, two years a Terp.
RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per STrib:

Former Minneapolis North basketball star Ben Coleman, who played for the Gophers from 1979-81 and went on to a 12-year professional career, died Sunday. He was 57.

“Just got the sad news,” North’s boys’ basketball Facebook page said. “… Rest in Peace Ben Coleman. Our sincere condolences and prayers go out to the Coleman family.”

Two of Coleman’s nephews, Joe and Dan, also played for the Gophers.

The elder Coleman had playing stints in the NBA and Europe. The Chicago Bulls drafted him in the second round (No. 37 overall) of the 1984 NBA Draft. He played in 227 career NBA games, mostly with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets.

“One of Minnesota’s finest, you will be forever loved and missed,” Dan Coleman posted on Facebook about his uncle.

The 6-9 Ben Coleman had his best season with the Gophers averaging 8.4 points and 5.1 rebounds off the bench on a 1980-81 team that included Trent Tucker and Randy Breuer.

http://www.startribune.com/former-m...hers-player-ben-coleman-dies-at-57/504021052/

Go Gophers!!

That late 70's/early 80's team was loaded with talent. Those were some of my earliest memories of Gophers hoops when the games would somehow still be on regular tv in rural Minnesota.
I never heard why Ben transferred. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I never heard why Ben transferred.

All I know is that the team was pretty power-forward heavy the year he transferred...

Clearly the top 5 guys were Breu, Holmes, Tucker, Hall and Mitchell. So he's looking to fight for forward time between himself, Zeb, Wiley and Pete.

Still, he averaged 8.4 points and 5.1 rebounds the year before he transferred so it isn't like he wasn't getting time.

I always wonder what would've happened if Ben had stuck around and Hall hadn't had issues...and also if Rautins had stayed.

All I know is that the team was pretty power-forward heavy the year he transferred...

Clearly the top 5 guys were Breu, Holmes, Tucker, Hall and Mitchell. So he's looking to fight for forward time between himself, Zeb, Wiley and Pete.

Still, he averaged 8.4 points and 5.1 rebounds the year before he transferred so it isn't like he wasn't getting time.

I always wonder what would've happened if Ben had stuck around and Hall hadn't had issues...and also if Rautins had stayed.

Thanks Bruce. Would have been a loaded team-right up there with 89 and the Final Four team.

Thanks Bruce. Would have been a loaded team-right up there with 89 and the Final Four team.

...not to mention a certain guard from Woodbury who specialized in throwing up 30-footers in the last minute of a blowout.

Not even a mention of Ben before the game or at halftime???

WCCO: Friends, Family Remember Ben Coleman, 1st North High Player Drafted Into NBA

A former Minneapolis North basketball star, who also played for the Gophers, died Sunday at the age of 57.

When you mention Ben Coleman, his former University of Minnesota teammate Trent Tucker immediately talks about his talent on the hardwood.

“He was a great guy to be around,” Tucker said. “He was a fun guy to be around; he was a great teammate to have. He was one of the first power forwards that could step away and knock down the 15 to 18 foot jump shot and also he played very well with his back to the basket.”

Coleman played for the Gophers from 1979-1981. His best year was 1980, averaging more than eight points a game.

He then transferred to Maryland, and was drafted into the league in 1984.

Coleman was the first North High School basketball player to earn a Division 1 scholarship. He was also the first to play in the NBA.

North High basketball coach Larry McKenzie says Coleman set the example for other North High and Minneapolis City Conference players to follow.

“Ben Coleman was the first,” McKenzie said. “He opened that door.”

More importantly, he never forgot his roots.

“Twelve years a professional basketball player. When he was done with is career, he came back here. He owned a restaurant downtown for a number of years,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie says Coleman was proud to be from the north side of Minneapolis, and he helped the program that made him a pro.

“When I first got the job at North, I remember [he said], ‘Coach, if you need me to come by,’ you know, do anything that you asked him to do,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie says Coleman leaves behind a legacy of excellence and he uses his life journey as a example for his student athletes to follow.

Coleman was the first black player from the Minneapolis City Conference to play for the Gophers. His nephews, Joe and Dan Coleman, also played at the U.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/01/08/friends-family-remember-ben-coleman/

Go Gophers!!

At the game? How far in advance of tip??

It was nice they did the the moment of silence for Coleman.

I'm going to nit-pick, though. ...

They did it well in advance of the game when neither team was on the floor. No idea why they didn't do it right before the anthem when both teams were on the floor. Makes no sense why they didn't do it then.

It was nice they did the the moment of silence for Coleman.

I'm going to nit-pick, though. ...

They did it well in advance of the game when neither team was on the floor.

How far in advance? It was before I got there for sure...but we didn't leave Sturbs until 5:45...

How far in advance? It was before I got there for sure...but we didn't leave Sturbs until 5:45...

At least 15 to 20 minutes before the game started. And of course with the 6 p.m. start, there was a lot less people to observe the moment of silence. At minimum it should have been done when both teams were out there, not in the locker room.

I happen to know it was exactly at 5:50 PM, because I was standing in line at Drew's popcorn trying to determine if I could make it through and not miss the opening tap. They showed a picture of him on the TV screens in the hall and there were 7 minutes left of the scoreboard clock which I think is a countdown to the player intros.

I made it to my seat prior to the Star Spangled Banner for all those concerned.

Top Bottom