Minnesota's "Strength of Record" according to BPI

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
The Gophers have the 16th best Strength of Record according to ESPN's BPI. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/dir/asc/view/overview/sort/sorrank

Strength of Record (SOR) is a measure of team accomplishment based on how difficult a team's W-L record is to achieve.

As the Gophers take a hit in most rankings that evaluate and incorporate efficiency, it's good to know that the Gophers have the 16th best record commensurate with their schedule

This makes sense. I don’t think we’re the 16th best team (for the same reasons the metrics don’t like us) but our resume to date is strong which is encouraging for Selection Sunday.

This makes sense. I don’t think we’re the 16th best team (for the same reasons the metrics don’t like us) but our resume to date is strong which is encouraging for Selection Sunday.

Yes, this is the way I see it. I think the Selection Committee's decisions are tough because they have to balance: resume vs. strength.

Some teams that are "more talented" tend to be more efficient. But those teams don't necessary secure an outstanding resume come March.

Based on the BPI Strength of Record, the Gophers have had a Top 25 season thus far. I don't think that means we are one of the best 25 teams in the country, but that shouldn't be held against the Gophers

Top Bottom