Week 10 AP Top 25

Without looking at the other receiving votes' schedules, I gotta think that if we beat Maryland tomorrow, we'll likely be ranked next week

Without looking at the other receiving votes' schedules, I gotta think that if we beat Maryland tomorrow, we'll likely be ranked next week

11-4 'Nova vs. #24 SJU and @ Creighton
11-4 wisconsin vs Perdue
12-3 Iowa @NW and vs. #16 tOSU

In addition to Maryland, we have Rutgers at home before the next poll.

I don't understand how Wisconsin can still be ahead after this past week.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wisconsin still being ahead of us is a joke.

I think Maryland is better than the 14 votes they received

Nevada gets blown out by an 8-6 team that was #195 in NET Ranking and drops 4 spots.
FSU loses to #4 Virginia on the road and drops 4 spots.

Better to stay off the radar. Very tough game Tuesday night. A win will require our best basketball of the year.

Glad we aren't ranked yet, though we should be if we win both games this week.

What bugs me about all the polls though is how much they value efficiency over wins.

I'd rather be on the cusp than in the poll, keeps you hungry.

Key to Tuesday's game will be keeping Cowan from penetrating and opening up spots for his teammates. Not sure any of the starters have the quickness to consistently stay in front of him.

Glad we aren't ranked yet, though we should be if we win both games this week.

What bugs me about all the polls though is how much they value efficiency over wins.

Bugs me too. Hopefully the committee doesnt overvalue rankings based upon such things as efficiency and margin of victory when seeding time arrives.

Sorry, the logic should be you beat a team on their home court, you are better than them. No way badgers should be ranked higher

Maryland might be a game to play more zone. Wiggins 6-6 200 Fr and Ayala 6-5 200 FR shooting 40% and 47% from 3. Cowan shoots it ok. I would stop Cowan's penetrating and feeding these 2 for open 3's.

It might also help keep our big 3 out of foul trouble against Fernando and Smith inside.

Maryland might be a game to play more zone. Wiggins 6-6 200 Fr and Ayala 6-5 200 FR shooting 40% and 47% from 3. Cowan shoots it ok. I would stop Cowan's penetrating and feeding these 2 for open 3's.

It might also help keep our big 3 out of foul trouble against Fernando and Smith inside.

I always thought you played zone against bad shooting teams

hilarious how wisconsin is still getting more votes than the gophers. very similar to how nebraska got back into the top25 after the gophers beat them as well

just shows the idiotic media bias. these voters aren't really paying that much attention outside of their beloved blue bloods

Last edited:

Nevada gets blown out by an 8-6 team that was #195 in NET Ranking and drops 4 spots.
FSU loses to #4 Virginia on the road and drops 4 spots.

FSU did not just lose to UVA, they were down 65-36 with 3 minutes left and kept their starters in and presssed UVA who played the 2 walkons and the manager. It was a epic beatdown with only 4 turnovers by the top 8 and 7 by the walkon crew but your point is valid, i would have dropped both even further. To me, the Gophers are a top 18 team and better than FSU.

Seems like the gophers are considered good enough where a lost against us won’t hurt a team, but not so good as to be ranked.
Maybe that’s the efficiency factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilarious how wisconsin is still getting more votes than the gophers. very similar to how nebraska got back into the top25 after the gophers beat them as well

just shows the idiotic media bias. these voters aren't really paying that much attention outside of their beloved blue bloods

Yes, that's particularly true considering that noted basketball blue bloods Tennessee, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, and Nevada are in the top 10. We just can't catch a break when the media is so biased toward Nevada and away from the U.

Put me in the category of being happy the Gophers are not in the top 25 this week. We haven't exactly played great basketball yet this year, and I want the team motivated on getting better. The game on Tuesday will be tough, as Maryland is a better team than Wisconsin, in my opinion. Hope the team is focused so there's not a big letdown after the huge Wisconsin win.

Its less of a blue blood bias and more of an algorithmic bias. KenPom and NET rank Nebraska(16), Purdue(17), Wisconsin(15) way higher than they deserve. Even Penn St. was ranked ahead of us until their ugly beatdown by the Badgers last night.

The algorithms have Virginia Tech at like 9, when they lost to Penn St and their best wins are Washington and Purdue. I'm not against these systems at all, I think they are useful to bring insights in evaluating teams. But my feeling is that lots of lazy voters look at efficiency and other ranking systems as the be-all and don't bother to actually watch any of these games.

I think Maryland is better than the 14 votes they received

Totally agree after watching their last game. Tomorrow’s game concerns me. They have a great guard and two very good forwards. They say in the NBA you need three stars. Maryland has just that.

Totally agree after watching their last game. Tomorrow’s game concerns me. They have a great guard and two very good forwards. They say in the NBA you need three stars. Maryland has just that.

doesn't Maryland have 2 NBA big men on their roster? I swear I was looking at a mock draft and it had 2 Maryland centers

I wouldn’t be surprised. They look the part. Oturu, Curry, Murphy and Stockman will have their hands full.

I'd rather be on the cusp than in the poll, keeps you hungry.

Key to Tuesday's game will be keeping Cowan from penetrating and opening up spots for his teammates. Not sure any of the starters have the quickness to consistently stay in front of him.
i Admire your pragmatism but you will never get in the polls with a ’keeps you hungry ‘ philosophy. It’s like asking for timely losses.

Didn't think we deserved to be ranked yet. Not bothered at all.

The polls essentially mean nothing. They have nothing to do with seeding. One year Gonzaga was ranked 6th in the final regular season poll and got a 6 seed in the NCAAs. About five years ago SMU ended the regular season ranked in both polls and didn't even get a NCAA bid.

Sorry, the logic should be you beat a team on their home court, you are better than them. No way badgers should be ranked higher

It's not that hard to understand. Badgers just lost 3 of the last 6 games to unranked teams. Makes perfect sense that they are ranked higher than MN. Probably should be upset they aren't ranked in the top 20.

Ridiculous. Just don't understand the love towards the program...this year.

doesn't Maryland have 2 NBA big men on their roster? I swear I was looking at a mock draft and it had 2 Maryland centers

Maryland has very good players, including Fernando the sophomore and the other one (Smith?) likely a one and done freshman. I'm with the rest that it will take our best effort to beat them.

Maryland has very good players, including Fernando the sophomore and the other one (Smith?) likely a one and done freshman. I'm with the rest that it will take our best effort to beat them.

Yep, this would be another good win for the Gophers if they get it.

And neither Fernando or Smith is their best player, Cowan Jr. is. Terps have some serious front-end talent.

Yep, this would be another good win for the Gophers if they get it.

And neither Fernando or Smith is their best player, Cowan Jr. is. Terps have some serious front-end talent.

Looking at Maryland's numbers though they only have two real threats to shoot the 3. Maybe we can get their bigs in foul trouble and manage the game from there.

Looking at Maryland's numbers though they only have two real threats to shoot the 3. Maybe we can get their bigs in foul trouble and manage the game from there.
Or...they get our bigs in foul trouble...
We don't match up as well with Maryland as we did with Wisconsin. Maryland has athletic players that can create their own shot. This would be a great night for Gabe to get his 3 point shot back. We need some outside shots to fall because Oturo, Curry and Stockman will have their hands full. McBrayer, Coffey, Kalscheur...and Washington are very important to this game tonight.
Our advantage is that this game is played at the barn. We should ultimately win this game.

Top Bottom