Photo appointment with the Axe

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
All season ticket holders had/have the opportunity to set an appointment for one of the sessions to have photos taken with the axe. I had signed up for this and did it on Saturday.

It was just one of several sessions and I was amazed at the turnout. We were in line at least 1.5 hours. Most everyone was dressed in Gopher gear and it was such a nice opportunity to mingle with other fans in a fun atmosphere full of optimism surrounding the program.

It was also fun to spend some time in the locker room as I had never been in there before. The line was moving slowly but that was fine with me as I spent the time looking at all the player posters above the lockers. Lots of memories of good Gopher football players.

Curious to hear other opinions related to this opportunity. Also, anyone know what the criteria is to qualify a player to get one of those black and white posters that ring the locker room? Obviously good players that have been through the program but I'm curious if there is anything related to a formal process for that.

I was there too.

Long line but fun.

Thank goodness for that opens space in the locker room for younger kids to run around!

All season ticket holders had/have the opportunity to set an appointment for one of the sessions to have photos taken with the axe. I had signed up for this and did it on Saturday.

It was just one of several sessions and I was amazed at the turnout. We were in line at least 1.5 hours. Most everyone was dressed in Gopher gear and it was such a nice opportunity to mingle with other fans in a fun atmosphere full of optimism surrounding the program.

It was also fun to spend some time in the locker room as I had never been in there before. The line was moving slowly but that was fine with me as I spent the time looking at all the player posters above the lockers. Lots of memories of good Gopher football players.

Curious to hear other opinions related to this opportunity. Also, anyone know what the criteria is to qualify a player to get one of those black and white posters that ring the locker room? Obviously good players that have been through the program but I'm curious if there is anything related to a formal process for that.

Sounds fantastic! I would do this in half a heartbeat if I was in MN...alas it I screwed up by going south... Enjoy!!

I am planning on getting a photo at the fair with it... I don't think I could do 1.5 hours in line

I was there on Saturday. Fun time! I got there about 10:40 and was 10th to 15th in line so I didn’t have a long wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We also had a 90-minute wait. Well worth it.

How did the process work? Did you have time to take a few photos or did they hustle you in and out?

How did the process work? Did you have time to take a few photos or did they hustle you in and out?

No hustle. Most everyone did multiple photos. Something like Dad, Mom + Dad, Mom + Dad + Kids.

They had a staff person to hold the axe and hand it off between groups, some chairs to dump your stuff / coats onto, and one to help take photos (they used your phone or camera).

Everyone did a good job of being organized and quick so I didn't see anyone ushered to move on or anything.

Line took a while but it was efficient and yet people got time.

We were there on Saturday also. I couldn't believe how many people were walking into the stadium as we drove up. The husband kind of groaned at the thought of waiting so long, but I thought it was awesome that so many fans were there wanting to take a picture with The Axe. Great seeing the multi-generation families sharing the event, and nearly everyone dressed in maroon and gold. Made me proud to be a Gopher fan.

We were there on Saturday also. I couldn't believe how many people were walking into the stadium as we drove up. The husband kind of groaned at the thought of waiting so long, but I thought it was awesome that so many fans were there wanting to take a picture with The Axe. Great seeing the multi-generation families sharing the event, and nearly everyone dressed in maroon and gold. Made me proud to be a Gopher fan.

It was really fun too see that level of enthusiasm.

The whole getting the Axe out in public for folks to take photos and etc is a great idea.

They pretty much let you take as many photos as you wanted.

No hustle. Most everyone did multiple photos. Something like Dad, Mom + Dad, Mom + Dad + Kids.

They had a staff person to hold the axe and hand it off between groups, some chairs to dump your stuff / coats onto, and one to help take photos (they used your phone or camera).

Everyone did a good job of being organized and quick so I didn't see anyone ushered to move on or anything.

Line took a while but it was efficient and yet people got time.

Thanks for the responses, looking forward to my opportunity in a few weeks!

I waited in line at least 90 minutes on Saturday but I'm glad I did it. I was with a group of 8 and we each got our picture alone holding the axe plus some combination group photos as well. They certainly don't rush you with taking the pictures which is the way it should be after such a long line. I was very impressed with the turnout, it was cool to see so many people were interested.

Great Idea. Nicely done U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also there on Saturday with our core tailgate group and we waited just over an hour in line but it was worth it. One of our friends is a professional photographer so she brought a really nice camera and her tripod and we got some good shots, one of which will be blown up and hung prominently at our future tailgates.

Seeing the locker room was really cool but the highlight was probably the couple that was there and the wife wearing a Wisconsin sweatshirt. There was a good nature chorus of booing when she got to the front of the line.

They had something similar the week after the game on campus during the day. I think it was open to everyone but it was 99% students because it was 3-6pm in the middle of the week. It was about an hour wait for that and the same format with someone holding the axe and someone taking pictures. The line wrapped around most of the student union.

Glad to see so much excitement but hopefully it gets to the point where having the axe on campus is nothing special.

I was also there on Saturday with our core tailgate group and we waited just over an hour in line but it was worth it. One of our friends is a professional photographer so she brought a really nice camera and her tripod and we got some good shots, one of which will be blown up and hung prominently at our future tailgates.

Seeing the locker room was really cool but the highlight was probably the couple that was there and the wife wearing a Wisconsin sweatshirt. There was a good nature chorus of booing when she got to the front of the line.

I remember that, that was fun.

I am planning on getting a photo at the fair with it... I don't think I could do 1.5 hours in line
Yeah...the State Fair is known for it's short lines [emoji3]

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Depends on what day it is there.

I bet if you got there early at the state fair and they have the axe there at opening .... probabbly get right in, but that goes for the photo op at TCF too....

But if the AXE shows up at noon..... oh my.

I saw the jug with basically no line. All the lines are the morons buying cookies.

Crappy cookies at that!

I mean I get the tradition and novelty.... but those cookies are terrible.

Terrible? No. Overrated? Yes. Worth the line? No. Genius on their part though. Making over $2 million in 2 weeks of work. Insane.

Back to the axe....I think if it was at the Fair and it was just inside a trophy case (like the jug a couple years ago), there wouldn't be much of a line. If it was a situation where you could hold the Axe for a photo, I think you'd have a long line...

Last edited:

I think you were not far behind us. I was right behind the group with the Wisconsin gal. I was hoping the staff would refuse to let her touch the Axe (only Seniors after all), but I knew they would never actually do that. :) I saw your group with the tripod on our way out.

For everyone else, if you are on the fence I'd say for sure go. If you've never been in the locker room it's really impressive. As others mentioned they were willing to take pretty much as many pictures as you wanted. We tried to be respectful, but we had a large group so took a handful (technically we were three separate groups that combined for one group picture).

Very fun event. So happy the U did this. Thank you if anyone involved is reading this!!!!

Was anyone there later? The event was scheduled to end at 4:00, but we left after 3:00 and the line was the same as when we got there (waited 1.5 hours), so I don't see any way everyone would have made it through by 4:00. Just wondering if they stayed late, or stopped letting people in...

I think we got done around 3:45. The line was still well out of the locker room.

I assumed if you weren't checked in and in line by 4, you were out of luck. But that's just an assumption. There is no way they could prevent people who were already in line from getting to see the axe.

I went as well. Showed up around 3 and didn't get to hold the Axe until about 4:25! Long line but worth the wait and a cool experience. Was really impressed by the turnout and enthusiasm.

Where do you sign up for this? I don't remember seeing anything about this for season ticket holders.

thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It's too bad that's the last game of the season. They did the same thing with Floyd and the Jug a few years ago, right after the next home game. Very well done, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It's too bad that's the last game of the season. They did the same thing with Floyd and the Jug a few years ago, right after the next home game. Very well done, indeed.

In the Athletics Hall of Fame, right? My son and I saw the Jug there back in '14. It was there at the following home game (Northwestern, I think). We waited until after the game to see it and we waited all of 5 minutes in line. I hope they do something like that next season.

Top Bottom