Theo John and Sacar Anim

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I check Marquette’s box scores a lot. Partially because they seem to show up on Twitter more than most others. Anyway, Anim has had a few big output games but John has struggled this year. I thought Anim was someone the Gophers should have offered (or prioritized) but I could be way off. I just liked his game.

John fouled out with 0 points and 3 rebounds in 15 minutes today vs Xavier. I wasn’t a huge fan of his in high school because he was so raw offensively. I’m curious if others think he’d help the Gophers right now. Last year with all that went down, yes. But I have him behind Murphy, Oturu and Curry for sure. Not sure how I’d compare him to Matz. John has better stats but a lot more minutes on the floor.

I guess the same could be said for Jericho Sims, who has also struggled in his time at Texas thus far. Recruiting and player development are far from exact sciences, to be sure. I like the guys we got :)

I think it's really tough to project how someone is going to perform in the next level. Driving to the rim and finishing in high school is a lot different in conference play at a high major. Christ, confidently dribbling the ball with a high major guard defending you is different. Some kids take that leap, others simply don't and continue to rely on their physical superioritiy which may or may not exist at the next level.

I didn't mind Theo as a prospect. I really thought he was another Reggie Lynch, but I think Theo was less raw in high school offensively than Lynch was. Sacar was a tough one to project. I liked him for his toughness and willingness to defend. His outside shot was always so suspect and I thought that was why we didn't pursue him/offer him. We already had Jarvis and Kevin Dorsey also for guards in that class with Dupree coming too.

I didn't mind Theo as a prospect. I really thought he was another Reggie Lynch, but I think Theo was less raw in high school offensively than Lynch was. Sacar was a tough one to project. I liked him for his toughness and willingness to defend. His outside shot was always so suspect and I thought that was why we didn't pursue him/offer him. We already had Jarvis and Kevin Dorsey also for guards in that class with Dupree coming too.

Context always helps. Thanks. I recall lots of talk about Theo since he and Wright were connected, but not nearly as much about Anim. I saw one Marquette game and he looked good. Solid sixth or seventh man for them and it sounds like a really good student and solid citizen.

This is why it's humorous to me when the media and others make a big deal over Pitino not signing any Minnesota kids some years. Not every Minnesota kid is going to pan out in college just because he signed with another high major. Sure, criticize for missing on 4 and 5 star-rated players but for the others...

Is John getting minutes, he would contribute outside of scorring, he looked good against Wisconsin.

Is John getting minutes, he would contribute outside of scorring, he looked good against Wisconsin.

looks like he is getting about 17 mins a game.

looks like he is getting about 17 mins a game.

I think he'd get a lot more, he starts, but seems to have some fouling issues. Has 4 or 5 fouls in 9/15 games, averaging 3.6 fouls per game, which I think is a lot.

For perspective here are some guys who I feel like foul a lot: Reggie Lynch averaged 3.4 in 23MPG in his one full season with the Gophers. Murphy is averaging 3.1 this year in 30MPG, Oturu 3.3 in 23.3MPG

The bigger “miss” at this point appears to be McKinley Wright. He is playing really well for Colorado, and in addition to playing decent PG, he is a scorer. It’s all hindsight now, as signing IW instead looked pretty good at the time. Still could turn out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It turns out that Pitino is having a fairly good batting average on getting the right Minnesota players (ignoring the ones that went to Duke). Another point is that Pitino has done a fairly good job of developing the players he has gotten to come to the U. Look at the quality of BB players that Murphy, Dupree, Coffey, Lynch, Mason and Walker turned into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doogie chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Doogie is awful. Says a million things, always after the fact.

We already had Jarvis, Dosey, and Dupree on board, it was more of a numbers game at the time. Now Sacar is a great kid and was well coached out of HS. This was where Richard should've taken the local guy over one of Kimanis guy. Easy in hindsight, but u also don't wait around forever either. I feel Richard has learned. It shows with him offering Walton in 2020 and the Mahtomedi kid too.

The bigger “miss” at this point appears to be McKinley Wright. He is playing really well for Colorado, and in addition to playing decent PG, he is a scorer. It’s all hindsight now, as signing IW instead looked pretty good at the time. Still could turn out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wright is one of the best players on a bad team. Colorado is 4-6, 10th of 12, in a terrible Pac-12. He had every chance to commit and didn't before Washington took hist spot. And right now the Gophers win over Washington, 10-0 in the Pac-12, is a great win. I'll take my chances with IW.

This is why it's humorous to me when the media and others make a big deal over Pitino not signing any Minnesota kids some years. Not every Minnesota kid is going to pan out in college just because he signed with another high major. Sure, criticize for missing on 4 and 5 star-rated players but for the others...

McKinley, Iverson, Ruevers, Anim would make this team better.

But if we are going to be bad, I'd rather it be with local players. Then we wouldn't have to complain that RP can't keep Minnesota players home.

I remember alot of people complaining about not getting Alex Iklelman...... he sits on Wisconsins bench

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

But if we are going to be bad, I'd rather it be with local players. Then we wouldn't have to complain that RP can't keep Minnesota players home.

Iverson?

We already had Jarvis, Dosey, and Dupree on board, it was more of a numbers game at the time. Now Sacar is a great kid and was well coached out of HS. This was where Richard should've taken the local guy over one of Kimanis guy. Easy in hindsight, but u also don't wait around forever either. I feel Richard has learned. It shows with him offering Walton in 2020 and the Mahtomedi kid too.
JaVonne Hadley from Mahtomedi has a Gopher offer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It would have been either Anim or Dupree, and even with his struggles the last several games, I think Dupree has had the better career.

What ever his name is. What-cha-ma-call-it. That guy who plays for the red team to the east.

Iverson is from Ohio. If you're talking about Illikainen, he left the Badgers after averaging 1.5 ppg over 3 years. He would not help this team.

Sounds like UMN hockey...

Theo John would actually be pretty useful for the Gophers. From the Marquette games I've watched a lot of his fouls would not be called in the B1G. He is a very good defensive player that knows his role. Great screener for the best scoring guard in the nation (Markus Howard) He basically does everything that doesn't show up in a box score. On a team that has plenty of scorers he's not asked to do much on that side.

He basically does everything that doesn't show up in a box score. On a team that has plenty of scorers he's not asked to do much on that side.

I have watched and glad we don't have him.

Also, this team needs some more guys who show up in the box score.

Ha, sconies can have him!

I agree. And even if he would have been talented enough to help the Gophers, he probably would already be suspended for the year &#55357;&#56832; Can you imagine what the local media would do with him (and his dirty tactics) if he played for the Gophers?

Top Bottom