Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Gary Giombetti: Was Motzko the Right Hire?

per Gary:

Did a coaching change really help the University of Minnesota menís hockey team?

Donít get me wrong, I think Bob Motzko is a knowledgeable coach. Heís good behind the bench, and he obviously knows how to recruit. He did very well at St. Cloud State.

But his first half season hasnít been going well with the Gophers.

He was the right man for the job, but Minnesota is losing to teams like Mercyhurst and Ferris State, teams that have no business beating a team from the State of Hockey.

Thatís not even counting the Minnesota teams that are better than the Gophers right now.

Yes, Minnesota owns a tie and win over the University of Minnesota-Duluth, but that was early in the season. It wouldnít surprise me if the Bulldogs dominated the Gophers if they played right now.

Minnesota State-Mankato is better, and the Huskies are certainly better right now. Itís hard to tell if Bemidji State is better, but if they do play, weíll find out in a hurry.

I know Motzko is in his first season as coach, but I donít see any difference in how Minnesota is playing compared to the Don Lucia era.

Weíre still losing to Michigan, Michigan State and just recently, Penn State, which hasnít had a hockey program for long. Thereís much more tradition with the Gophersí program than the Nittany Lionsí program.

Of course, Iím not a hockey expert, so if Minnesota is playing better, which I hope is the case, maybe these other teams have more skilled players right now.

If thatís the case, then that bugs me even more because the Gophers should have skilled players. Iím not totally naive about that, but for some reason, theyíre not clicking well together.

Motzko needs time to recruit the type of players he needs to run his systems. Thatís going to take at least two or three seasons.

I donít expect the Gophers to win an NCAA title every season, but it would be nice if they were in the running for Frozen Four every year.

Once again, theyíre struggling to get into that top 16 to make the NCAA playoffs. Thereís still a lot of time left in the season, so maybe something positive will happen in the near future.

For me, it canít happen soon enough.

https://www.hibbingmn.com/sports/col...cb45b19ad.html

Go Gophers!!

JFC. What a boneheaded question.

He took over a team full of prima donnas scared to check anyone with more than half of them putting in piss poor effort all the time. The D unit he inherited is AWFUL. You can already see better team effort this year than in the last few Lucia years when he should have been gone already. Last game was their best performance of the year.

They might not make the tournament this year. If they do I'd give him an A for his first year no doubt. As of right now, it is a solid B with flashes of good things. He is draining the swamp in the recruiting pipeline and not scared to call out his players which he's done multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by bonin21 View Post
    JFC. What a boneheaded question.

He took over a team full of prima donnas scared to check anyone with more than half of them putting in piss poor effort all the time. The D unit he inherited is AWFUL. You can already see better team effort this year than in the last few Lucia years when he should have been gone already. Last game was their best performance of the year.

They might not make the tournament this year. If they do I'd give him an A for his first year no doubt. As of right now, it is a solid B with flashes of good things. He is draining the swamp in the recruiting pipeline and not scared to call out his players which he's done multiple times.
    I see what you did there. Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    Of course, I’m not a hockey expert, so if Minnesota is playing better, which I hope is the case, maybe these other teams have more skilled players right now.
    Shouldn't write a clickbait article then.

Quote Originally Posted by bonin21 View Post
    Shouldn't write a clickbait article then.
    That's all BleedGopher does is post clickbait articles. You have seen the same on the football forum. Notice he didn't even cite the original article? If Fleck can have a year zero, Motzko can. The hockey team will win a title long before the football team does anything of note. Dude needs a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    That's all BleedGopher does is post clickbait articles. You have seen the same on the football forum. Notice he didn't even cite the original article? If Fleck can have a year zero, Motzko can. The hockey team will win a title long before the football team does anything of note. Dude needs a hobby.
    What are you talking about? He stated the author, the title, and linked to the original article.

I post Gopher articles when I see them on a Gopher message board. Not sure why this bothers you. I cited the exact article that was written. What are you talking about? If you don't like what I post, don't open the thread.

Go Gophers!!

Blog Entries

God forbid a Gopher fan posts links to articles about the Gophers on a Gopher fan site.

THE NERVE of some people.

Thanks Bleed.

For the record, the only place year zero exists is Flecks mind. Fleck didnít have a year zero. Motzko doesnít get one, either.

Motzko was a convenient, ďsafeĒ, uninspired hire. Absolute high point we can aspire to is being ranked #1 in a region and lose the first game. Motzko will not win a championship at Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    God forbid a Gopher fan posts links to articles about the Gophers on a Gopher fan site.
    THE NERVE of some people.
    Thanks Bleed.
    For the record, the only place year zero exists is Flecks mind. Fleck didnít have a year zero. Motzko doesnít get one, either.

Motzko was a convenient, ďsafeĒ, uninspired hire. Absolute high point we can aspire to is being ranked #1 in a region and lose the first game. Motzko will not win a championship at Minnesota.
    Are you going to tell us who the inconvenient, "unsafe", inspired hire that they should have gone with was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Are you going to tell us who the inconvenient, "unsafe", inspired hire that they should have gone with was?
    Iíd start with someone that wouldnít drop three of four games to Michigan State.

Unlike basketball and football, coaching Hockey at Minnesota is a destination job. There are very few coaches that wouldnít listen if we called.

Of course having an AD that can string together coherent sentences would probably help.

If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Good to know youíre the same a$$hat you are on the football board. How youíve not been banned is amazing to me troll

I never thought I'd post on GH long enough to see someone rip on Bleed.

He just posts all gopher-related articles that he finds. I've posted here forever and I couldn't tell you where Bleed stands on many issues, he is literally the least political poster on the board.

What an insanely bizarre post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post

He just posts all gopher-related articles that he finds. I've posted here forever and I couldn't tell you where Bleed stands on many issues, he is literally the least political poster on the board.

+04

+9999

I come here to see the Gopher related articles, so I don't have to search
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

100%. Agree that Bleed doesn't take sides for the most part except that I believe he wants whats best for the program in season. Secondly, Bleed finds many articles of interest that I would have never read if it weren't for him. Keep up the good work Bleed! We have your back!