Value of beating a ranked team

goldenboy

Reaction score
If WI slides into a bad season, would we benefit from beating them when they were ranked #22 or would that win be seen through the lens of how they finished the year?
Or, looked at from the other side, did the teams that beat the Gophers early in the season when we were ranked during the Tubby years get that value in the win or would it have less value (in whatever system used - RPI, Ken Pom, etc) after our annual February slide into oblivion?

Beating ranked teams helps your perception. Which helps you with he eye test. Which is allegedly not used.

However, Wisconsin is still way better than us according to Kenpom despite a worse record and a home loss to us. And all the fanboys tell me kenpom is the best measure. So i guess they will have a good season.

Beating ranked teams helps your perception. Which helps you with he eye test. Which is allegedly not used.

However, Wisconsin is still way better than us according to Kenpom despite a worse record and a home loss to us. And all the fanboys tell me kenpom is the best measure. So i guess they will have a good season.

It is not a predictor of future results, it is a measure of how well you play. Gophs moved up UW moved down. Over time it bears out with how good you are against who you played and teams that do well in it have huge records. It is far better than PRI and the one coaches like best.

Nobody has actually answered the OP’s question directly yet, and I have the same question. I’ll ask it again: Does a win against a ranked team, who later drops out of the rankings, count as a win against the top 25 at the end of the season? Or does the win have to end up being against a team that is ranked only at the end of the season? Second question: Is that statistic actually used in any important measure used by the selection committee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody has actually answered the OP’s question directly yet, and I have the same question. I’ll ask it again: Does a win against a ranked team, who later drops out of the rankings, count as a win against the top 25 at the end of the season? Or does the win have to end up being against a team that is ranked only at the end of the season? Second question: Is that statistic actually used in any important measure used by the selection committee?

I think your second question is more important. If OP is referring to AP/Coaches ranking, technically I don’t think this metric is used by the selection committee. At least it is not information used on the team sheets the committee uses to select and seed teams.

In terms of metrics used by the committee, like the new NET rankings, it matters where the team ends the year. Some of the metrics used like KenPom, Sagarin & BPI are predictive analytics that I don’t believe take into account a subjective ranking like AP/Coaches poll.

Wins against top 25 teams are not used as a metric.
There are tiers of wins. Not based on polls but based on some other metric the ncaa uses.
At home, the best tier of win is against the end of the year top 25 in that ranking. But a road win against a top 75 team counts the same as a home win against a top 25 team.

It is not a predictor of future results, it is a measure of how well you play. Gophs moved up UW moved down. Over time it bears out with how good you are against who you played and teams that do well in it have huge records. It is far better than PRI and the one coaches like best.

Well I guess since it is a predictor we should be worried about .500 penn State who has a higher kenpom rating than us.

My problem with kenpom is that it awards you for efficiently losing to good teams more than it rewards you for inefficiently beating medium teams.

I don’t know the answer to Goldenbiy’s question but I bet the badgers will not be a top 25 team at the end of the season. They look way overrated to me.

I don’t know the answer to Goldenbiy’s question but I bet the badgers will not be a top 25 team at the end of the season. They look way overrated to me.

If they hit their team average from 3point against us in the first half, we likely lose to Wisconsin. Not sure why people think they are a bad team just because we beat them. Given the big ten results this year they should likely be floating around that receiving votes mark. Kinda like we should be all season long.

Good question for the likes of me and lots of good answers. Thanks. I don't see the Badgers sliding into a bad season. A strong win for us. We will need more.

Good question for the likes of me and lots of good answers. Thanks. I don't see the Badgers sliding into a bad season. A strong win for us. We will need more.

The Badgers bounced back to easily win Sunday nite.

If they hit their team average from 3point against us in the first half, we likely lose to Wisconsin. Not sure why people think they are a bad team just because we beat them. Given the big ten results this year they should likely be floating around that receiving votes mark. Kinda like we should be all season long.

We made them look bad. That style of brawl ball will always have a degree of success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So far there doesn't seem to be much value. Wisky is put of top 25 but recieved 45 votes while we received only 23 votes. Not sure we deserve more than wisky but seems pretty paltry to me given our record and who we have played.

Top Bottom