2018 Offense - First Half Season vs Second Half Season

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
Many different variables at play here (opponents, player growth curve, injuries, Faalele, etc) but I'll break the season into two parts since it seams logical: Annexstad starts and Morgan starts.

First 7 Games (3-4 record, Annexstad starter)
25.9 points per game (88th in FBS over time period)
5.27 yards per play (101st in FBS over time period)

Last 6 games (4-2 record, Morgan starter)
32.5 points per game (36th in FBS over time period)
6.19 yards per play (33rd in FBS over time period)

The 0.92 yards per play improvement is a huge jump. To put that in perspective, the Gopher defense improved by 1.37 yards per play from Smith to Rossi. And we all know how night and day difference that was.

I’d argue if a team hits on something that works then they ought to keep doing that. The team moved the ball pretty well once the offensive line and QB changes were made. Obviously there is room for improvement and there should be a nice jump in production next season.

The offense improved, the starting QB isn't necessarily the reason. Spring Ball should be interesting.

Faalele in and Schlueter to TE were huge improvements too. I think the other TEs picked it up a notch too. Very young WR corp gaining experience. Getting more effective blocking downfield for Mo and each other. Morgan's mobility made a big difference too. Do not understand playing hurt players. The competition for QB was very close. Making the switch should have been automatic games earlier. Just my thoughts. If I knew enough I could be making Fleck money. Fleck and the coaches made good moves as the season went on. Illinois likely drove some of that.

As a whole, the 2018 offense averaged 5.67 YPP, best since 5.81 in Mason's final season.

If Gophers average 6.19 yards per play (as they did with Morgan starting) that would be their best since Mason's second to last season when they averaged 6.36 YPP.

And if they somehow improved on the second half and averaged say 6.50 yards per play, that would best every offense in Gopher history except the 2003 squad (6.63 YPP, 4th nationally). Yes, including the National Championship and Rose Bowl teams (admittedly offense has evolved over the years, no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust...)

Last edited:

As a whole, the 2018 offense averaged 5.67 YPP, best since 5.81 in Mason's final season.

If Gophers average 6.19 yards per play (as they did with Morgan starting) that would be their best since Mason's second to last season when they averaged 6.36 YPP.

And if they somehow improved on the second half and averaged say 6.50 yards per play, that would best every offense in Gopher history except the 2003 squad (6.63 YPP, 4th nationally). Yes, including the National Championship and Rose Bowl teams (admittedly offense has evolved over the years, no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust...)

I think we are headed there, recognising we play a pretty demanding schedule. With 8 freshmen starting on O.

The offense improved, the starting QB isn't necessarily the reason. Spring Ball should be interesting.

There’s no question in my mind that right now, January 2019, Morgan is the best QB on the roster and that includes the games prior to the ZA injuries. It will be interesting to see what JC brings to the table in the spring. I think we can all agree the offense has a chance to be really good as the blockers improve. Obviously if ZA improves and bests TM or JC is ready and pans out and is better than either then great. I think the pieces are already in place for a pretty good offense though.

Top Bottom