CBS: Former five-star quarterback Justin Fields transferring to Ohio State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Former five-star quarterback Justin Fields is transferring to Ohio State. Letterman Row first reported the news, and 247Sports' Ohio State site Bucknuts confirmed it.

The move had been rumored since it became public that Fields would be transferring from Georgia following his freshman season. Fields will be enrolling at Ohio State for the spring semester, which will allow him to participate with the team in their offseason program and during spring practice this year. Oklahoma, Florida State and UCLA were reportedly also being considered by the former five-star prospect.

What may have given Ohio State the edge was Fields' relationship with current Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Both players train with Quincy Avery, a QB coach based out of Atlanta.

Fields was the No. 2 overall player in the 2018 recruiting class according to 247Sports' Composite Rankings, finishing behind current Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. He did not win the starting job in Athens, however, as Jake Fromm held on to the position all season long. Fields did see some time, however, appearing in 12 games. He threw 39 passes, completing 69.2 percent of them for 328 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions. He also displayed his abilities as a rusher, carrying the ball 42 times for 266 yards and four touchdowns. With Fromm returning for another season, Fields would have had a difficult time supplanting him from his starting role, and rather than wait another year, he decided to look for greener pastures elsewhere.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ack-justin-fields-transferring-to-ohio-state/

Go Gophers!!

Considering what their other QB has had to say about that transfer ... :

popcorn_seinfeld.gif

The backup QB is never more than 1 play away from being the starting QB.

And Haskins says he’s 50-50 on coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tate Martell never going to play.

This is interesting because for years QB's would wait their turn. Now it almost doesn't matter where they commit to, because they'll likely have a better chance of playing after they transfer.

I’ve also heard that but why in the world would this be granted? Other than it’s OSU.

Racism. Not saying the one specific incident validates immediate eligibility, but in light of today's issues it may be a case the NCAA is extra sensitive to and plays cautious by granting the waiver. Again, I have no opinion on this but I'm explaining why people seem to think Fields may end up getting it.

I’ve also heard that but why in the world would this be granted? Other than it’s OSU.

Definitely sounds like a stretch to me but this is what Field's and his attorney are centering his case around.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/12/18/justin-fields-transfer-news-georgia-bulldogs

In April, the NCAA’s Division I Council provided new guidance to schools regarding waivers for undergraduate transfers who felt they shouldn’t have to complete the NCAA-mandated year-in-residence before taking the field for their new team. Here are those guidelines. Read No. 1 very carefully.

1. The transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete;

During Georgia’s win against Tennessee on Sept. 29, Georgia baseball player Adam Sasser was overheard by other students in the stands yelling, “Put the [n-word] in.” Sasser allegedly was referring to Fields, who backed up sophomore Jake Fromm. While the accusation against Sasser was being investigated by Georgia’s Equal Opportunity Office, Sasser was dismissed from the baseball team. Sasser later issued a public apology on Twitter that certainly seemed like an admission.

And it wouldn’t be a stretch at all if, in 2019, a young black man such as Fields said his safety and well-being might be affected by continuing to stay at a school where a white fellow athlete would refer to a black athlete by that word—even if it was lobbed from the stands while the player was on the field. Even if Fields wanted to transfer exclusively for playing time reasons, the NCAA would be foolish to challenge such an assertion and Georgia officials would be crazy to do anything except wish Fields well as he plays next season at his new school. Georgia’s administration could make a (quite convincing) argument that the fact that Fields’s younger sister Jaiden signed to play softball for the Bulldogs after the Sasser incident took place indicates that the family doesn’t consider the campus a bad environment. But it probably isn’t worth it for the Bulldogs to make that argument. No matter what anyone considers the real reason for the transfer, trying to force Fields to sit out would only make everyone else look terrible.

Most seem to believe Field's will be granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA but we will see.

That would be a travesty because it's obvious he made a bet that he would beat out Fromm, the sophomore QB who took Georgia to within 4 points of a national championship as a true freshman, and when he didn't (and likely wouldn't for another 2 years) he now wants to run to greener pastures. The NCAA shouldn't bail him out of his bad decision. He needs to sit for a year like most other transferring athletes.

Embarrassing. Hard pass on this kid. Just take your lumps like everyone else.

Definitely sounds like a stretch to me but this is what Field's and his attorney are centering his case around.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/12/18/justin-fields-transfer-news-georgia-bulldogs

In April, the NCAA’s Division I Council provided new guidance to schools regarding waivers for undergraduate transfers who felt they shouldn’t have to complete the NCAA-mandated year-in-residence before taking the field for their new team. Here are those guidelines. Read No. 1 very carefully.

1. The transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete;

During Georgia’s win against Tennessee on Sept. 29, Georgia baseball player Adam Sasser was overheard by other students in the stands yelling, “Put the [n-word] in.” Sasser allegedly was referring to Fields, who backed up sophomore Jake Fromm. While the accusation against Sasser was being investigated by Georgia’s Equal Opportunity Office, Sasser was dismissed from the baseball team. Sasser later issued a public apology on Twitter that certainly seemed like an admission.

And it wouldn’t be a stretch at all if, in 2019, a young black man such as Fields said his safety and well-being might be affected by continuing to stay at a school where a white fellow athlete would refer to a black athlete by that word—even if it was lobbed from the stands while the player was on the field. Even if Fields wanted to transfer exclusively for playing time reasons, the NCAA would be foolish to challenge such an assertion and Georgia officials would be crazy to do anything except wish Fields well as he plays next season at his new school. Georgia’s administration could make a (quite convincing) argument that the fact that Fields’s younger sister Jaiden signed to play softball for the Bulldogs after the Sasser incident took place indicates that the family doesn’t consider the campus a bad environment. But it probably isn’t worth it for the Bulldogs to make that argument. No matter what anyone considers the real reason for the transfer, trying to force Fields to sit out would only make everyone else look terrible.

Good thing none of the highbrow students at OSU have racist tendencies.

What may have given Ohio State the edge was Fields' relationship with current Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Both players train with Quincy Avery, a QB coach based out of Atlanta.

Holy F*cking Sh*t

This is wild and comes sort of full circle. Quincy Avery is a Minneapolis kid and played at Washburn. He played college ball somewhere down south. Small world...

Racism. Not saying the one specific incident validates immediate eligibility, but in light of today's issues it may be a case the NCAA is extra sensitive to and plays cautious by granting the waiver. Again, I have no opinion on this but I'm explaining why people seem to think Fields may end up getting it.

This is such a slippery slope. I foresee this happening to a lot of players now who ‘coincidentally’ want to transfer. No one will ever stand up against it.

He will get approved because tOSU is an important brand for the NCAA.

This is such a slippery slope. I foresee this happening to a lot of players now who ‘coincidentally’ want to transfer. No one will ever stand up against it.

Absolutely 100% spot on. How can the NCAA challenge this claim without looking like they're completely out of touch with race issues? It'll be easier for them to rubber stamp transfers than fight an unwinnable fight.

Last edited:

Absolutely 100% spot on. How can the NCAA challenge this claim without looking like they're completely out of touch with race issues? It'll be easier for them to rubber stamp transfers than fight an unwinnable fight.

The guy that insulted him was kicked out of school. I’m not sure what else can be done. There is no case unless somehow he’s making the case that being around white, Asian, Hispanic people is too traumatic. There are some majority black schools but they’re not football powerhouses. He could probably transfer there.

The NCAA ought to just nip this in the bud in a diplomatic matter - Georgia already removed the problem student therefore the situation is not materially harmful to Fields. The NCAA shouldn’t have approved Shea Patterson either - more nonsense. I’m in the free agency will hurt college football camp so I’d like to see this corrected yesterday. This guy should have made a better choice out of high school but he chose to go to Georgia. Plenty of schools are looking for 5 star QBs.

Last edited:

The guy that insulted him was kicked out of school. I’m not sure what else can be done. There is no case unless somehow he’s making the case that being around white, Asian, Hispanic people is too traumatic. There are some majority black schools but they’re not football powerhouses. He could probably transfer there.

The NCAA ought to just nip this in the bud in a diplomatic matter - Georgia already removed the problem student therefore the situation is not materially harmful to Fields. The NCAA shouldn’t have approved Shea Patterson either - more nonsense. I’m in the free agency will hurt college football camp so I’d like to see this corrected yesterday. This guy should have made a better choice out of high school but he chose to go to Georgia. Plenty of schools are looking for 5 star QBs.

Yep, guys like Fields and Patterson getting waivers is only going to increase the number of transfers, especially at QB. Not a fan of it.

I tend to belive the issue Fields faced in Georgia is not one that can be solved by transfer, there are a-holes everywhere and no matter where he goes there are no assurances things will be different. The NCAA would be wise to stop claims as this being justification to be granted a waiver for transfer. If it were institutional that would be a different story.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yep, guys like Fields and Patterson getting waivers is only going to increase the number of transfers, especially at QB. Not a fan of it.

I'm fine if they open it up completely, however, the current trend is crazy.

Fields will be granted immediately eligibility. The fact that Fields doesn't have to sit out a season and Marcus Carr does is insane. We all know it comes down to $$.

At least the Martell/Fields battle will be interesting. I think we seem one of them transfer before the first game.

I tend to belive the issue Fields faced in Georgia is not one that can be solved by transfer, there are a-holes everywhere and no matter where he goes there are no assurances things will be different. The NCAA would be wise to stop claims as this being justification to be granted a waiver for transfer. If it were institutional that would be a different story.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I think even Fields believes that.

Georgia did everything correct. They kicked the guy off the baseball team and everything.

The guy was overrated out of high school, is showing lack of mental toughness, and his performances vs Umass and Austin Peay may not be truly indicative he’s a polished passer. It’s very likely Ryan Day is not quite Urban Meyer. If nothing else tossing Martell to the side and lobbying for immediate playing time gives me a solid reason to root against Ohio State again. I’m excited to see what happens with OSU next season. It’s been awhile since they went through a rough patch.

The guy was overrated out of high school, is showing lack of mental toughness, and his performances vs Umass and Austin Peay may not be truly indicative he’s a polished passer. It’s very likely Ryan Day is not quite Urban Meyer. If nothing else tossing Martell to the side and lobbying for immediate playing time gives me a solid reason to root against Ohio State again. I’m excited to see what happens with OSU next season. It’s been awhile since they went through a rough patch.

Are they tossing Martell to the side? Who says "no" to this kid if he wants to come play for your school? Not many teams.

Top Bottom