JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Good
1. Coffey showing again he is the lead dog
2. Stull's big 3's and showing he can contribute
3. Team defense, especially in first half

Bad
1. Not finding a second option once WI adjusted for Coffey
2. Low post play. In a grind it out game, we got little contribution down low. WI's length really affected JM. Gophers really need Oturu to develop into low post threat
3. Gabe K - has gone from top contributor to guy not playing during crunch time. I know he's only a freshman, but this team needs good Gabe at all times

Ugly
1. IW not playing. I dont care the style a team plays, it doesnt look good for his future getting DNP's

Good

Bad
2. Low post play. In a grind it out game, we got little contribution down low. WI's length really affected JM. Gophers really need Oturu to develop into low post threat
3. Gabe K - has gone from top contributor to guy not playing during crunch time. I know he's only a freshman, but this team needs good Gabe at all times

Ugly
1. IW not playing. I dont care the style a team plays, it doesnt look good for his future getting DNP's

Oturu got in quick foul trouble. That was big, and Murph benefits by having him out there.

I might add Michael Hurt performing well in the good category. A couple of hoops and good defense. Exactly what a role player needs to do.

I'd add Amir's five turnovers to the bad category. I was worried the turnovers would cost them.

If Washington is deemed not good enough to play, I'm not concerned if he transfers. I don't know why there is so much panic

I hope he stays and gets better, if not, I wish him well

If Washington transfers, where does that leave us for TRUE point guards this year and next?

If Washington transfers, where does that leave us for TRUE point guards this year and next?

If he leaves during season? we're going to have to rely on combo guards

Next year Carr should be factor at the PG spot

Really, add to the ugly so many on the gopherhole's inability to enjoy discussing a huge road win! I know quite a few lurkers who have contacted me asking wtf is wrong w/the GH.

Really, add to the ugly so many on the gopherhole's inability to enjoy discussing a huge road win! I know quite a few lurkers who have contacted me asking wtf is wrong w/the GH.

We live in the darkness, and the light is really painful when exposed to it. Makes it seem like the light is a bad thing.

You are oddly concerned with policing this mythical Gopherhole joyfulness level.

We live in the darkness, and the light is really painful when exposed to it. Makes it seem like the light is a bad thing.
So the gopherhole sees its collective shadow in the brilliance of a road win... are we having 6 more weeks of winter now or what?

Great "W", even better that it hit Wisky in the teeth. Still being realistic about what we need to work on to be a top 25 team. Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St. are likely to make us look really bad by exposing our weaknesses.

those lurkers need to get a grip. there are hundreds of posts enjoying the big win. way more than the opposite. your lurker contacts need to not be so negative as the positive posts way outweigh anything else.

Good

Bad

Ugly

I would say this Coffey showing again he CAN BE the lead dog
Stull needs to do that because the Gophers struggle so much with their outside shooting to be consistent. I thought they had that in Gabe but he's been struggling. Dupre, Coffey and the rest are pretty inconsistent in shooting 3's.
I think the low post play will pick up with Curry, good to see him get some minutes. I thought he looked a lot thicker than he did before (time eating and lifting will do that to a young man I suppose) which will help him down low. Also, Oturu is going to be up and down, that's a freshman for you but if he can start to be consistent towards the end of the year that will go a long way to helping this team out.
IW is probably in the dog house for all the reasons that we see when he plays...he is a dynamic slasher and play maker and at times great but he tries to do too much and doesn't play within the system and is very inconsistent at best. At times he is very detrimental to be on the floor. If this was 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 he would be a stud, but in the BiG and beyond he's going to have to play in the system to get minutes and to excel. Hope he can get it figured out.

Remember, gophers live underground, so naturally the light pains them. Have you ever pulled a live gopher out of a hole (in a gopher trap) and seen it's reaction to the sunlight? Not a pretty sight.

Remember, gophers live underground, so naturally the light pains them. Have you ever pulled a live gopher out of a hole (in a gopher trap) and seen it's reaction to the sunlight? Not a pretty sight.

I liked the following quote from Garrison Keillor. "We in Minnesota are not a sunshine people. Our joy at good fortune is tempered by the knowledge that it cannot last."

Pocket Gophers hate the light. Striped Gophers like it. Many pocket Gophers on this sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know quite a few lurkers who have contacted me asking wtf is wrong w/the GH.

That sounds like a pretty dubious story. After all, what kind of schmuck would really concern himself with something that trivial?

Good

Bad

Ugly

Good:

1. As good as Coffey was for much of the game (especially in the first half where he outscored Wisconsin something like 10 or 12 to 0 in one stretch), the really striking performance was by McBrayer - perhaps the best game of his career here. He did a good job handling the ball when he needed to and his scoring was very timely. Of course, there were those crucial defensive plays and free throws that sealed the game.

3. Yes, one of the best defensive games of Pitino's tenure and probably the best without Reggie. Offensively the team didn't perform that well and mostly relied on individual heroics but the team defensive effort should reinforce the message that even when the offense isn't doing particularly well the defense can win or keep them in the game.

I would add another positive:

This was one of the better overall games by the team's bench particularly considering that IW didn't play at all. Even the couple of minutes that Stockman was in he managed to do some good things (despite the muffed reception of Coffey's pass). He blocked out well and the timely McBrayer basket that avoided another shot clock violation (or desperation shot) resulted from Matz's screening to free him up for a dribble drive.

Bad

2. Oturu's relatively poor game came after steady progress where he was starting to look like he might be the top freshman big man in the conference, but then I realized that the good performances over multiple games came mostly over inferior opponents. It was encouraging to see Curry play pretty well in his second game over expanded minutes.

Ugly

I agree about IW in the abstract but I must concede that Pitino's choices worked overall for this game. I really, really hope he doesn't make a habit of giving IW repeated DNPs. Maybe he was honest about feeling that Stull was better suited for this game and wanting to give him a chance to play significant minutes.

Good:

1. As good as Coffey was for much of the game (especially in the first half where he outscored Wisconsin something like 10 or 12 to 0 in one stretch), the really striking performance was by McBrayer - perhaps the best game of his career here. He did a good job handling the ball when he needed to and his scoring was very timely. Of course, there were those crucial defensive plays and free throws that sealed the game.

3. Yes, one of the best defensive games of Pitino's tenure and probably the best without Reggie. Offensively the team didn't perform that well and mostly relied on individual heroics but the team defensive effort should reinforce the message that even when the offense isn't doing particularly well the defense can win or keep them in the game.

I would add another positive:

This was one of the better overall games by the team's bench particularly considering that IW didn't play at all. Even the couple of minutes that Stockman was in he managed to do some good things (despite the muffed reception of Coffey's pass). He blocked out well and the timely McBrayer basket that avoided another shot clock violation (or desperation shot) resulted from Matz's screening to free him up for a dribble drive.

Bad

2. Oturu's relatively poor game came after steady progress where he was starting to look like he might be the top freshman big man in the conference, but then I realized that the good performances over multiple games came mostly over inferior opponents. It was encouraging to see Curry play pretty well in his second game over expanded minutes.

Ugly

I agree about IW in the abstract but I must concede that Pitino's choices worked overall for this game. I really, really hope he doesn't make a habit of giving IW repeated DNPs. Maybe he was honest about feeling that Stull was better suited for this game and wanting to give him a chance to play significant minutes.

Stull is a better shooter than IW. Outside shooting has been abysmal the last several games. He put the guy in who would not overdue it and might make some outside shots. Brilliant decision. I think as long as Stull is consistently nailing the open 3, he is going to get court time. I don't think it has to be at the expense of IW, but we must have a three point threat or everything gets a lot harder.

How can any assessment of the game exclude the game winning contributions of Dupree?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How can any assessment of the game exclude the game winning contributions of Dupree?

+1

Without his effort, we don't win that game. That was maybe his biggest performance of the year. Gutsy effort.

those lurkers need to get a grip. there are hundreds of posts enjoying the big win. way more than the opposite. your lurker contacts need to not be so negative as the positive posts way outweigh anything else.

Your conclusions may be right, but the problem is that it is usually multiple pages of positivity trying to refute the negativity of the OP that started the thread! Also, many other threads get spammed by “fire the coachers”.

Don't forget gophers eat nuts, seeds and worms. This could help when playing Ohio State, Nebraska and Rutgers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Don't forget gophers eat nuts, seeds and worms. This could help when playing Ohio State, Nebraska and Rutgers.

Help me out here I get the Buckeyes and the Corn Huskers but worm with Scarlet Knights?

Ya I dunno! Silliness!

That sounds like a pretty dubious story. After all, what kind of schmuck would really concern himself with something that trivial?

Could be a fake lurker, could be a 300 pound guy in his basement making them up.

Top Bottom