Coffey 2nd Half Disappearing Act Concerning

bfast

Reaction score
After a blueprint first half, Coffey almost disappeared in the 2nd half. He would handle the ball early in the shot clock but then dump it off to Stull or McBrayer and never demand the ball back.

When he did get shots off, they were wild or long-range desperation attempts at the end of the shot clock.

Wisconsin free-throw woes and Stull's 6-point barrage really made the difference - the 2 Wisconsin turnovers late contributed a bit as well.

I'm sure Wisconsin made some personnel or scheme adjustments for Coffey in the 2nd half, but it was frustrating to not see him demand the ball more. The guy can hit shots off the drive or at least get to the line. He MUST assert himself for 40 minutes if this team wants to be top 4 in the conference.

Murphy and Oturu aren't savvy enough to be option 1 for this team. Coffey MUST be 1A. Is this a set/playcalling problem, or a Coffey personality problem?

Last edited:

After a blueprint first half, Coffey almost disappeared in the 2nd half. He would handle the ball a bit but end up dumping it off to Stull or McBrayer and never demanded the ball back.

When he did get shots off, they were wild or long-range desperation attempts at the end of the shot clock.

Wisconsin free-throw woes and Stull's 6-point barrage really made the difference - the 2 Wisconsin turnovers late contributed a bit as well.

I'm sure Wisconsin made some personnel or scheme adjustments for Coffey in the 2nd half, but it was frustrating to not see him demand the ball more. The guy can hit shots off the drive or at least get to the line. He MUST assert himself for 40 minutes if this team wants to be top 4 in the conference.

Murphy and Oturu aren't savvy enough to be option 1 for this team. Coffey MUST be 1A.

So you don't think it's possible that after he lit up the Badgers in the first half that they made some defensive adjustments regarding him? You think he just decided not to score much?

Coffey needs to drive the lane, dish or get a foul. He is the leader, need a strong 35 minutes from him.

So you don't think it's possible that after he lit up the Badgers in the first half that they made some defensive adjustments regarding him? You think he just decided not to score much?

Stop using logic. This is a message board!

It wasn't necessarily adjustments stopping him from handling the ball on the perimeter early in the shot clock.

I'm sure they also schemed a lot for him before the game as well. Not like he's unknown.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

After a big win we need someone really smart to find something to be concerned about - keeps us rubes in line.

I'm not concerned.

He's shown ability to take over games. He can get a little passive sometimes, but in same case I don't want him forcing the issue

After last night, honestly I'm more concerned about Murph competing inside against teams with length. Badgers' size pretty much took Murph out of the equation offensively.

After last night, honestly I'm more concerned about Murph competing inside against teams with length. Badgers' size pretty much took Murph out of the equation offensively.

Murph has a solid history of bouncing back from lackluster games with really good showings. If he is a non-factor on offense against Maryland, I'll be a tad more concerned

After a blueprint first half, Coffey almost disappeared in the 2nd half. He would handle the ball early in the shot clock but then dump it off to Stull or McBrayer and never demand the ball back.

Murphy and Oturu aren't savvy enough to be option 1 for this team. Coffey MUST be 1A. Is this a set/playcalling problem, or a Coffey personality problem?

If you have been watching the last three years it's not even a question is it? Coffey does not have the personality to naturally assert himself offensively. Michael Hurt has the same affliction...he has the offensive skills to score points but not the mindset. Coffey has those same tendencies.
If anybody thinks Coffey is easy to coach, I don't think they have been paying attention.

Murphy has no offensive game to speak of. He scores on dishes, putbacks, lob dunks, scramble situations etc

Without Stull's two threes and Mc Brayer's closing plays, I'm not sure we get it done. Stull was reminiscent of Springs...Springs was not good to start the season either (yes, less games) but maybe this is the emergence of Stull. Like Pitino also said the matchup was favorable.

Murph has a solid history of bouncing back from lackluster games with really good showings. If he is a non-factor on offense against Maryland, I'll be a tad more concerned

Also will be a huge test. Maryland has two really mobile big men who will present a significant challenge. I think's Murph's success is directly linked to one of the other bigs being able to produce. If they can, he has a lot more space to work with. If not, double and triple teaming will be bad news.

[/B]

If you have been watching the last three years it's not even a question is it? Coffey does not have the personality to naturally assert himself offensively. Michael Hurt has the same affliction...he has the offensive skills to score points but not the mindset. Coffey has those same tendencies.
If anybody thinks Coffey is easy to coach, I don't think they have been paying attention.

Murphy has no offensive game to speak of. He scores on dishes, putbacks, lob dunks, scramble situations etc

Without Stull's two threes and Mc Brayer's closing plays, I'm not sure we get it done. Stull was reminiscent of Springs...Springs was not good to start the season either (yes, less games) but maybe this is the emergence of Stull. Like Pitino also said the matchup was favorable.

Scoring on dunks and putbacks is offensive game.

Coffey hit the floater after the Badgers cut the lead to 2, biggest shot of the game and in clutch time.

He just looked out of it last night. Not very aggressive at all. Hopefully just a bad night.

Coffey hit the floater after the Badgers cut the lead to 2, biggest shot of the game and in clutch time.

It looked like he wanted to pass it too. Incredible adjustment mid-air.

In the 2nd half we got caught running the d@mn globetrotter weave and rarely made drives in toward the basket. Coffey does much better when he gets space to drive toward the rim rather than run the weave. I would like to see us stop running that weave, but Pitino seems to like it.

What a stupid thread. He was a huge reason we won last night. What else can we find to complain about?

In the 2nd half we got caught running the d@mn globetrotter weave and rarely made drives in toward the basket. Coffey does much better when he gets space to drive toward the rim rather than run the weave. I would like to see us stop running that weave, but Pitino seems to like it.

That's fine to get some motion and get the defense moving, but when you run it for 20+ seconds, no one is looking to score and we wind up jacking up a desperation shot as the clock expires. That's when the offense stagnates. And let's face it, we don't have any "go-to" offensive guys anyway.

Gard made a huge adjustment on Coffey in the 2nd half. Did you see how far out they were hedging to stop the pick and roll offence we were running? Way past the 3pt line.

I'm by no means a basketball coach, but even I saw that.

Also will be a huge test. Maryland has two really mobile big men who will present a significant challenge. I think's Murph's success is directly linked to one of the other bigs being able to produce. If they can, he has a lot more space to work with. If not, double and triple teaming will be bad news.

Murph definitely had a rough game last night but in fairness to him, very few teams have a 6'11 guy at the 4 (as you mentioned, Maryland actually does play 2 bigs). That's always going to create a challenge for him in the post, combine that with Wisconsin's propensity to sag in the middle which cuts off his face up driving game, and it was a just a tough night.

[/B]

Take solace in knowing that the better and more deserving team won the game. Gophers tightened up on offense as they tried to run clock in the last five minutes. Its human nature. Not sure what prompted your comments about Murphy. He's about as a productive a player as we've ever had.

So you guys are telling me...you pass the ball to Murphy and he goes into his signature offensive arsenal and you can count on him to score?

Facing up and bullrushing the defender is Murphy's move....on nights when the refs allow him to do that he has an offensive game. Otherwise he's an awesome garbage man posting double doubles routinely.
But he does not achieve that in a way that a coach can say we are going to get Murphy the ball at his spot on the floor and we know he'll score. If he is the first option he has a tendency to turn the ball over.
If he receives a pass off a teammates drive he finishes, if he or someone else throws it up he'll chase the rebound and put it back in. Yes, he's excellent, awesome and can be relentless at that and yes, that is his offensive game but in my answer to Selection Sunday I was just saying he doesn't have a go to game...exception noted above and not available last night and also typically a part of his continual foul jeopardy.

I like Murphy! He's good! I do not feel he has an offensive game in the way I think of somebody who does. In a sense he is tougher to plan for...you gotta keep him off the boards to keep him from scoring and that is rarely possible for an opponent. But, he doesn't scare you when he catches the ball somewhere other than next to the basket. Just my opinion...which gives you guys something to ridicule. Enjoy.

That's fine to get some motion and get the defense moving, but when you run it for 20+ seconds, no one is looking to score and we wind up jacking up a desperation shot as the clock expires. That's when the offense stagnates. And let's face it, we don't have any "go-to" offensive guys anyway.
Right. That is the problem with the weave. The motion is only on the perimeter and doesn't attack the basket. We end up tossing up a wack shot.

So you guys are telling me...you pass the ball to Murphy and he goes into his signature offensive arsenal and you can count on him to score?

Facing up and bullrushing the defender is Murphy's move....on nights when the refs allow him to do that he has an offensive game. Otherwise he's an awesome garbage man posting double doubles routinely.
But he does not achieve that in a way that a coach can say we are going to get Murphy the ball at his spot on the floor and we know he'll score. If he is the first option he has a tendency to turn the ball over.
If he receives a pass off a teammates drive he finishes, if he or someone else throws it up he'll chase the rebound and put it back in. Yes, he's excellent, awesome and can be relentless at that and yes, that is his offensive game but in my answer to Selection Sunday I was just saying he doesn't have a go to game...exception noted above and not available last night and also typically a part of his continual foul jeopardy.

I like Murphy! He's good! I do not feel he has an offensive game in the way I think of somebody who does. In a sense he is tougher to plan for...you gotta keep him off the boards to keep him from scoring and that is rarely possible for an opponent. But, he doesn't scare you when he catches the ball somewhere other than next to the basket. Just my opinion...which gives you guys something to ridicule. Enjoy.

Your logic also means Shaq didn't have an offensive game even though he scored between 25-30 pointes per game for 10 seasons. If Murphy gets the ball relatively near the basket, there's a really good chance he's going to score, and that fact has led him to average 15 points per game this year (and 17 last year). He's very good at finishing around the rim even when he's not dunking, which are both forms of scoring.

[/B]

Scoring is not offense.

Today I learned something.

I'd like to see them run some offense with Coffee playing some inside 3 at times and let him try to create, score and dish as he gets the ball around the paint. Play some pick and roll once he has the ball. Also needs to get better with the right hand drive and be able to go both ways with fakes and moves. He has picked up his offense taking some great shots and not always trying to Jam on his drives. His father was a bull like Murphy inside but was tougher just like his son. We did have some mismatches with Davidson and smaller guards guarding him where we should be posting him with some set plays. Again getting him the ball inside, more around the paint, let him do his thing. Maybe that's when IW could play just to start our O and get the ball inside or McBrayer can run the O and set Coffee up inside. Anyway it is an offensive option. We definitely need more scoring from the other 4 on the floor if we are going to make a BIG run.

True but Maryland also has two huge, physical, talented posts that they start who both project as future lottery picks. It's going to be an even tougher matchup for Murphy against Maryland. And I'm quite afraid for Oturu especially after his performance last night given how raw and skinny he is. I don't think you can afford to put Oturu on Bruno Fernando as he'd just get eaten alive.

I think to win against Maryland we may have to play through our guards (esp Amir again) where we have more of an advantage.

Top Bottom