What should we be ranked?

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Does our away victory at Wisconsin get us ranked this week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. Many polls had the Badgers falling coming into this week so voters won't be surprised that that has continued. Gophers will move up in the "receiving votes" category but it's going to take a string of conference victories to crack top 25, IMO.

Does our away victory at Wisconsin get us ranked this week?

Yes.

I think the fact that three Big Ten teams are likely to drop out (Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin) works in the Gophers' favor. They'll just plug another Big Ten team (Gophers) into one of the open spots.

I hope not, we become a terrible shell of a team whenever ranked

Candidates to enter top 25

Gophers, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Saint John's, Seton Hall, and TCU are the best candidates to enter the poll if they win this weekend.

Gophers done for the week.

Iowa State will certainly enter the poll if they beat Kansas this weekend, otherwise, no.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Gophers, Seton Hall, and TCU get ranked, Iowa State, too, if Cyclones beat KU.

We should definitely be ranked, our last 2 wins came against ranked conference opponents with 1 on the road.

Definitely think they deserve to be. Not sure if the voters will move us up to where we should be based on the perception of Wisconsin as spiraling downward.

Second this. I would love to see a statistic of our W/L record immediately following getting ranked. I feel like whenever we get off to a good start and get ranked, we start playing poorly.

Would be nice to wait 1 more week before being ranked. Hard to see us going from receiving no votes last week all the way into the rankings now.

Ranking is one of those arbitrary lists I find fairly meaningless. Kids look at them and they can forget they have to keep working hard. Best to just keep working and keep winning.

Second this. I would love to see a statistic of our W/L record immediately following getting ranked. I feel like whenever we get off to a good start and get ranked, we start playing poorly.

Yep. I feel like we have been ranked at some point in 5 or so years since the Tubby hiring (1 year after I started following the team, not trying to start a thing about the two coaches), but I dont think we have ever ended the season that way in that stretch.

We probably will not go from not receiving any votes, to ranked, in one week.

We probably will not go from not receiving any votes, to ranked, in one week.

Most people, including Vegas, thought we probably wouldn’t beat Sconny on the road. Lol

I think we get a token ranking towards the bottom.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
They also jumped from 61 to 49 in Sagarin. Maryland game is HUGE. Everyone who's attending, gird your loins. See you there.

Good humor, it does see a curse at times. But with three other Big Ten teams backing up I say a ranking is appropriate. 24th, 25th. We have beaten a lot of power conference teams already for this time of year.

I don't think the Gophers will be ranked. And I don't think they should be. They'll get a lot of votes and be one of the closest teams to being ranked.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
They also jumped from 61 to 49 in Sagarin. Maryland game is HUGE. Everyone who's attending, gird your loins. See you there.

Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunardi has us at 38th seed (auto qualify) as of 12:00 pm Saturday.

Curiously 4-loss creighton is at 34. I know it will work itself out, but creighton seems to be getting a lot of credit for a tough schedule yet they show up at 1-4 in tough games (win against Clemson, losses to Oklahoma, Nebraska, Gonzaga, and Ohio state). Against providence must be their second best win?

Lunardi has us at 38th seed (auto qualify) as of 12:00 pm Saturday.

Curiously 4-loss creighton is at 34. I know it will work itself out, but creighton seems to be getting a lot of credit for a tough schedule yet they show up at 1-4 in tough games (win against Clemson, losses to Oklahoma, Nebraska, Gonzaga, and Ohio state). Against providence must be their second best win?

Well, thank goodness we have that loss to Ohio State then or we wouldn’t be ranked so high...lol

I think we should be after beating 2 ranked teams. You wanted to be ranked as many weeks as possible! When your recruiting this means something seeing that school in the rankings.

We’ll take Nebraska’s spot

Well, thank goodness we have that loss to Ohio State then or we wouldn’t be ranked so high...lol

I remember getting thwacked by OSU in 1999 - 29 point road loss. Yet the Gophs still floated around the outskirts of the Top 25 most of the season. Getting thumped: it happens.

I think we should be after beating 2 ranked teams. You wanted to be ranked as many weeks as possible! When your recruiting this means something seeing that school in the rankings.
I agree that being ranked is important. There is value in it. However, I don’t think the Gophers will be ranked. You argue that because the Gophers beat 2 ranked teams, they deserve to be ranked, but both the ranked teams we beat will surely fall out of the rankings next AP poll. So when the AP voters are looking at the 25th spot and trying to decide between the Gophers and five other teams, I’m not sure the Nebraska, Wisconsin wins will carry that much weight. Don’t get me wrong. I believe our wins this year makes us a tournament team at the moment. But I also believe we haven’t done enough to deserve that Top 25 ranking. Now, if we beat Maryland and Rutgers next week, I do think that will be enough to put a number in front of our name

So this is evidence that the Gophers probably will not be ranked in the new poll but will receive some votes and maybe enough to be very close to being ranked.

CBS' Gary Parrish, who has a vote for the AP Poll, had the Gophers the first one out in his Top 25 +1 list on Friday, meaning the Gophers are 27th in his mind... Parrish is bullish on the Gophers, in part, because in the preseason he said that the Gophers would be a dark horse for a deep run in the tournament, so he might be a little bias

CBS' Gary Parrish, who has a vote for the AP Poll, had the Gophers the first one out in his Top 25 +1 list on Friday, meaning the Gophers are 27th in his mind... Parrish is bullish on the Gophers, in part, because in the preseason he said that the Gophers would be a dark horse for a deep run in the tournament, so he might be a little bias

All polls are full of bias by their nature, though. I’m not sure where I think the gophers deserve to be, but I’m somewhat annoyed and perplexed as to why we haven’t had more consideration in the polls. Seems like we are still being disregarded because of the meltdown last year. Oh well, none of this really matters, except for the impact on recruiting. We also always seem to have a letdown game after reaching the top 25, so maybe better to stay under the radar.

All polls are full of bias by their nature, though. I’m not sure where I think the gophers deserve to be, but I’m somewhat annoyed and perplexed as to why we haven’t had more consideration in the polls. Seems like we are still being disregarded because of the meltdown last year. Oh well, none of this really matters, except for the impact on recruiting. We also always seem to have a letdown game after reaching the top 25, so maybe better to stay under the radar.

I think people forget how big of an achievement being ranked top 25 is. There are over 300 D1 basketball teams, so to be one of the best 25 is truly an amazing honor. Only the teams with best resumes and the best talent make the list.

The Gophers have had a good season, but so has a lot of other teams. Prior to the Wisconsin game, the Gophers only had 2 good wins: Washington and Nebraska. The rest were not enough to push us ahead of a lot of teams. I still don't think we crack the top 25 next week. But there's no shame in being in the top 40. I do believe that Pitino can make us a top 25 program one day

January 9th, 2013:

U of M rules in winter sports: Men's Hockey = #1 in the nation; Woman's Hockey = #1 in the nation; Wrestling = #4 in the nation; Men's basketball = #8 in the nation.

Top Bottom