Pitino outcoached Gard last night

Go Gophs

Reaction score
This might be one of the first times we've said this, but Richard outcoached the other team tonight. It was a solid plan to not let Happ beat you and to send him to the line.

The defense played last night was also impressive. Wisconsin had alot of empty trips and turnovers, especially during crunch time.

I still don't really care for the offense they run, there was a lot of standing around waiting on Coffee last night, but it will come.
They had no answer for Coffee and he did what he is capable of.

Also, inserting the Stull kid and letting him get some run was a good decision. As was not letting Washington mess up a tough but winnable game. Hats off to Richard. Let's hope it continues.

This might be one of the first times we've said this, but Richard outcoached the other team tonight. It was a solid plan to not let Happ beat you and to send him to the line.

The defense played last night was also impressive. Wisconsin had alot of empty trips and turnovers, especially during crunch time.

I still don't really care for the offense they run, there was a lot of standing around waiting on Coffee last night, but it will come.

Also, inserting the Stull kid and letting him get some run was a good decision. As was not letting Washington mess up a tough but winnable game. Hats off to Richard. Let's hope it continues.

Please, let’s not get ridiculous here. Pitino has out coached the other team quite a few other times. You didn’t need to go there to make your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Big Ten games against solid competition? Very rarely I'd say. He's still learning on the job. I was giving his praise also, it was a nice game plan.

Very rarely will anybody give Pitino credit. We have won at Michigan state, at purdue, beat beilein at home 2 years ago, etc but somehow Pitino never gets credit. On this forum he gets outcoached every game lol

My point is, he did a hell of a job last night. If how I said it sounded bad, I didn't mean it to. Maybe he's turning a corner.

"Out-coached" is one of my favorite phenomenons in sports. It's something that I rarely see used when a team loses a game. Even though I've watched a lot of contests where the losing team had a great game plan and just came up short.

Coach Pitino doesn't get a lot of credit for his in-game abilities because of this.

I thought he had a great gameplan in the first half. Hopefully he gets his players to stop playing "milk the clock" in late lead situations, that almost cost us and could in a later game. All in all, a solid A for coaching if we had one of Face the Facts' polls from the football board.

Please, let’s not get ridiculous here. Pitino has out coached the other team quite a few other times. You didn’t need to go there to make your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe this is why Johnson and young were let go. Needed new assistants who had new ideas. Defense and offense game plans are better this year.

Beating Wisconsin is never going to be pretty. You have to muck it up. The Gophers are at their best offensively in transition or on a secondary break. If we're forced into the halfcourt, which is what Wisconsin does, you're in trouble. The fouling Happ strategy was brilliant, I'm surprised more teams don't do it.

I love that Stull not only hit the two 3s, but had the confidence to shoot them when he was open despite not playing much yet this year. And McBrayer making big plays in big moments, loved to see that.

Not trying to be a jerk but his name is Coffey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this is why Johnson and young were let go. Needed new assistants who had new ideas. Defense and offense game plans are better this year.

Let go? I thought both of them left for what were greener pastures on their own. Not sure I've seen any information or even speculation that they were canned. If they were "let go" they got counseled out to pretty good gigs at UConn and Xavier. Game planning may be better, but so far recruiting has regressed. I hope the new staff can get that in order quickly.

"Out-coached" is one of my favorite phenomenons in sports. It's something that I rarely see used when a team loses a game. Even though I've watched a lot of contests where the losing team had a great game plan and just came up short.

Coach Pitino doesn't get a lot of credit for his in-game abilities because of this.

Many people don’t want to acknowledge it, but Pitino even had some very good coached games during that terrible year when they were down to just a handful of players. Of course the roster was his fault, but they challenged some very good teams with a walk-on as PG and players filling in for center. Also, don’t forget the NIT run and beating the legendary SMU coach. Pitino can coach, he was instrumental in setting the game plans for Louisville. As with the assistant changes, some new ideas are always helpful, but in particular I remember that it was the game preparation and scouting that was a problem. Just my speculation, but I think he may have delegated some of that out and wasn’t getting the results he expected.

Many people don’t want to acknowledge it, but Pitino even had some very good coached games during that terrible year when they were down to just a handful of players. Of course the roster was his fault, but they challenged some very good teams with a walk-on as PG and players filling in for center. Also, don’t forget the NIT run and beating the legendary SMU coach. Pitino can coach, he was instrumental in setting the game plans for Louisville. As with the assistant changes, some new ideas are always helpful, but in particular I remember that it was the game preparation and scouting that was a problem. Just my speculation, but I think he may have delegated some of that out and wasn’t getting the results he expected.

The historically awful season where we went 2-16 in the B10? IALTO:clap:

Richard is 31-59 in Big Ten games. I'm hoping for the best, but from what I've seen we generally start down about 5 points based on the coaching matchup in B10 games.

Top Bottom