Badger light show

LakerFan

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that during the last 10 minutes of the second half a lot of the time we were on offense the badger stadium crew had the ring lights strobing so hard that you could see the flashing show up on the floor of the stadium and the second the badgers took possession of the ball they turned the strobes off?

I get trying to get your crowd pumped up but I would think that was intentional to try to mess with the shooters for the gophers and I am very surprised that would be allowed. I'm all for fans trying to distract shooters with motion/signs/cheering, but using the stadiums light system seems like cheating.

Also on the play Gabe K beat his man and his man's head hit him in the side of the shoulder when he elevated for the shot and one ref called charge and one called block, did anyone think maybe the ref who thought that was a charge needs to get some retraining? I was watching in a bar so I didn't have sound, what was there rationale to go to the monitor? Did they think it was a flagrant because there was contact to the head? How do you review it and come up with gopher ball, no foul either way?

Did anyone else notice that during the last 10 minutes of the second half a lot of the time we were on offense the badger stadium crew had the ring lights strobing so hard that you could see the flashing show up on the floor of the stadium and the second the badgers took possession of the ball they turned the strobes off?

I get trying to get your crowd pumped up but I would think that was intentional to try to mess with the shooters for the gophers and I am very surprised that would be allowed. I'm all for fans trying to distract shooters with motion/signs/cheering, but using the stadiums light system seems like cheating.

Also on the play Gabe K beat his man and his man's head hit him in the side of the shoulder when he elevated for the shot and one ref called charge and one called block, did anyone think maybe the ref who thought that was a charge needs to get some retraining? I was watching in a bar so I didn't have sound, what was there rationale to go to the monitor? Did they think it was a flagrant because there was contact to the head? How do you review it and come up with gopher ball, no foul either way?

I noticed the light thing too. I'm not sure how it affects the players line of sight but from the camera angle for TV, you could definitely see the reflections on the court flashing.

I didn't like the way they reffed that play either. Yes, they went to the monitor to check for a flagrant. They determined it was a foul on both guys and gave the ball based on the possession arrow.

On the Gabe play I think they called a double foul but could be wrong on that. The review was because of where the contact took place.

As for the lights, I didn't notice the switching them off when the Badgers had the ball but definitely saw the reflection on the court multiple times which is definitely odd. Wouldn't shock me if they were doing it intentionally.

I saw that too and I was wondering about it. It distracted me, I have to imagine the players noticed it.

That double foul call was a BS bail out call for the refs. Get together and make a call - either on the offense or defense - but make a call! Either Gabe's elbow hit the head initiating the contact or the defender disrupted Gabe's shot by blocking him as he went up. I don't see how you call a foul on both. Unless it's a "we missed it" call, so we'll give each of you a foul.

That double foul call was a BS bail out call for the refs. Get together and make a call - either on the offense or defense - but make a call! Either Gabe's elbow hit the head initiating the contact or the defender disrupted Gabe's shot by blocking him as he went up. I don't see how you call a foul on both. Unless it's a "we missed it" call, so we'll give each of you a foul.

Would be nice to get a ref to weigh in on this. Weird situation and usually results in one ref overruling another and only one call. I'm not sure I have ever seen it dealt with like this before. There must be a protocol the refs use to figure out what they are going to do, though.

Did the Gophers get the ball because they were on offense/resume play or because of the possession arrow?

Did the Gophers get the ball because they were on offense/resume play or because of the possession arrow?

Possession Arrow.

And yes. I also noticed the lights going nuts when we had the ball on their side of the court.

Explanation on TV was that it was Badger's ball, but not clear whether it was because of alternating possession. Play by play guy had a really rough night with some of the details. He missed fouls and other details as well. Murphy had three fouls before I knew he had one because there was no acknowledgement or graphic.

100% agree. The TV angle seemed like maybe it could have been offensive but when they gave the baseline replay (which was the view the baseline referee had), Gabe's man did not beat him to the spot. The replay seemed necessary to check out the contact above the shoulder but, that being the case, how did they not go to the monitor when Davison cut up Dupree's lip?

Top Bottom