Hack a Happ

Don't care about Happ's self esteem....hack-a-happ worked and he sucked at the line. Next time we play them start fouling him sooner.

And not Murphy, Curry or Oturu necessarily. Omersa is built like an NFL right end. I bet he canfoul people.

The guy is great, but he needs some psych. coach to program him to get into a mental mode on the FT line. it can be done.
I was a 70 percent shooter in HS and should have been 95; young in the early shots, did better later

Oh yea, F>>> that goon Haap. I hope he ends up playing in Europe, and he will get a lot tougher.

Haha ummm, what? You have no idea how hard Happ has or hasn't worked on his free throws. And oftentimes in these instances hard work on free throws is totally irrelevant and sometimes counterproductive. It's the only part of basketball that is 100% mental and not reactionary.

We all hate Wisconsin and tonight was an awesome win. I don't feel bad for Happ at all, screw him and the Badger program. But the original post was spot on, literally any other kid/school (meh, besides Iowa) and a normal Gopher fan would feel sympathy.

No reason to feel bad for him. It's basically his job to be a basketball player. 4th graders can shoot 52%. it's not hard to improve on free throws.

His form is terrible, coaches should have fixed that by now.

No reason to feel bad for him. It's basically his job to be a basketball player. 4th graders can shoot 52%. it's not hard to improve on free throws.

His form is terrible, coaches should have fixed that by now.

His form is fine. 100% mental and he will never ever get better shooting FT conventionally. Needs to go Rick Berry on the bit and shoot FT underhanded- he'd get to at least 60% doing that.

You just cant help yourself, can you? You know he meant tight end. Nobody calls anyone on the defensive line right or left ends.

Sorry. Autocorrect. I meant tight end. Dpo having a good new year. Great guy.

And not Murphy, Curry or Oturu necessarily. Omersa is built like an NFL right end. I bet he canfoul people.

This is what I said during the game, but now that I think about it it is hard to do. If Happ misses it means Omursa is in the game on the offensive end of the floor.

This is what I said during the game, but now that I think about it it is hard to do. If Happ misses it means Omursa is in the game on the offensive end of the floor.

I agree. However the production from our bigs offensively in the second half was so bad, Omersa couldn’t haven’t been worse!

But I thought Ethan was so fundamentally sound!

I love this narrative. He is tall and white. Makes some little hook shots and stuff. Can’t handle the ball. Can’t ahoot outside of 5 feet. Struggles against double teams and pressure. Can’t make free throws. Not exactly Tim Duncan

I love this narrative. He is tall and white. Makes some little hook shots and stuff. Can’t handle the ball. Can’t ahoot outside of 5 feet. Struggles against double teams and pressure. Can’t make free throws. Not exactly Tim Duncan

He's the best big ball handler in college basketball- can bring the ball up the court, fantastic passer. Great against doubles and pressure; agree he can't shoot outside of 5 feet and can't make FT.

He's the best big ball handler in college basketball- can bring the ball up the court, fantastic passer. Great against doubles and pressure; agree he can't shoot outside of 5 feet and can't make FT.

He isn’t the best big ball handler in college basketball and he isn’t a fantastic passer. He can sometimes find the open teammate when he is doubled

He isn’t the best big ball handler in college basketball and he isn’t a fantastic passer. He can sometimes find the open teammate when he is doubled

He's not a fantastic passer by any means. He is ok. His ball handling, for a big, is really good. His inside game is very good for college but he has zero chance at making the NBA since he can't shoot well enough from the outside. In my opinion of course.

I knew that would be controversial, but i will die on this hill. I feel that with people like Happ and Shaq, much of it is mental and can be overcome. It could always be that they're one of the vast minority that just can't do it, but i doubt it.

I know it's harder for tall guys than it is for me, but sh!t, uncoordinated people can be taught to juggle and play guitar!

Most of those guys are huge. Making a shot comes down to angles. There's a reason why players who are releasing the ball higher than others tend to struggle with shooting more. AND there's a reason why guys with bigger hands and less dexterity tend to struggle more. There are obvious exceptions and there's certainly a mental aspect to it but your physical realities matter too. Shooting at a college level is freaking hard and takes a ton of work. Almost every guard on that court can shoot 100 3s in an empty gym and make at least 70 of them, but it's hard to hit 35% in a game. Same for free throws

So how can this guy be mentioned as a potential college Player of the Year? He's proving to be a liability to his team in crunch time with his abysmal FT shooting.

Gotta give Pitino credit for the game plan and in-game adjustments. I thought Pitino also did well explaining it in the press conference, basically saying we fouled him on purpose because he's such a great floor player, versus "Yep, he sucks at the line".

Hope that on Feb 2nd we get a "Hack a Happ" chant going early in the game (along with a "Toooolllll" call every time the Tool touches the ball).

Gotta give Pitino credit for the game plan and in-game adjustments. I thought Pitino also did well explaining it in the press conference, basically saying we fouled him on purpose because he's such a great floor player, versus "Yep, he sucks at the line".

Hope that on Feb 2nd we get a "Hack a Happ" chant going early in the game (along with a "Toooolllll" call every time the Tool touches the ball).
It's good to plan ahead.

You just cant help yourself, can you? You know he meant tight end. Nobody calls anyone on the defensive line right or left ends.

No, I didn't know he meant tight end. Regardless, the same statement applies. NFL tight ends weigh roughly 250-275 lbs.

Last edited:

Be careful. If I recall correctly, he may have had his best free throw shooting game in his career against the Gophers in that heart breaking loss two years ago. I think he went for over 30 points and almost half were at the line, and he made some big ones in crunch time.

That having been said, I am convinced he has the basketball yips. One of the strangest and unexplained maladies around. He needs to visit Chuck Knoblauch for support.

Don't care about Happ's self esteem....hack-a-happ worked and he sucked at the line. Next time we play them start fouling him sooner.

I wouldn't have done it any sooner, Pitino played it perfect by waiting until fouls 7-9 so that it would be 1and1.

Doing it earlier puts them in the double bonus earlier, plus not sure you automatically want to give Happ 2 shots all the time. If he just shoots his season average that gives them a point every trip down the floor, plus risk missing the defensive rebound.

Also one of the hacks was by Murphy which led him to fouling out of the game. Had the game gone to OT, the plan probably would have backfired.

In the end, it was played perfectly.

I wouldn't have done it any sooner, Pitino played it perfect by waiting until fouls 7-9 so that it would be 1and1.

Doing it earlier puts them in the double bonus earlier, plus not sure you automatically want to give Happ 2 shots all the time. If he just shoots his season average that gives them a point every trip down the floor, plus risk missing the defensive rebound.

Also one of the hacks was by Murphy which led him to fouling out of the game. Had the game gone to OT, the plan probably would have backfired.

This.

Agreed. Also, if you miss the front end of a 1 and 1, it should be recorded as 0-2 in the stat line.

I haven't read through this entire thread so Im sure I sound like a broken record, but I just came here to post that I f**king loved watching Happ miss FTs. I was cheering so damn loud when he missed three in a row after the lane violation! That was a lot of fun.

I hope Murph wasn't part of the hack strategy. That's pretty high risk. I also thought Stull hacked a little too soon on the one at mid-court with about 30 seconds left, but I quibble.

I hope Murph wasn't part of the hack strategy. That's pretty high risk. I also thought Stull hacked a little too soon on the one at mid-court with about 30 seconds left, but I quibble.

Muphy's hack was at the 7:19 mark when he only had 2 fouls at that point. Unfortunately, he picked up #s 4 & 5 in short order, though I thought the 5th was pretty questionable.

Murphy's 5th foul was on Iverson, who was going to get a layup. He missed both free throws.

EDIT: I see your clarification. You are right, his 3rd foul put Happ in the bonus

His press conference was an example of a player realizing his dream of being an NBA player was just flushed down the toilet!

College sports can be a cruel place. A coach like Pitino prepares his team to exploit a players weakness and that player better learn to adjust or they will be toast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His press conference was an example of a player realizing his dream of being an NBA player was just flushed down the toilet!

College sports can be a cruel place. A coach like Pitino prepares his team to exploit a players weakness and that player better learn to adjust or they will be toast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As gleeful I was about the win, watching the presser with Happ was a tough watch. Hats off to him for showing up and answering the questions. Other than Feb 6, I hope he can at least get 55-60%.

Top Bottom