Pitino curt in his post-game response on IW

...and you do that with....playing time.

Honestly, I don't even think Pitino was punishing IW last night, rather he used the players he thought he could win with on that night. Did IW have a bad week in practice? Maybe there could be something there too. On the whole I think IW is getting better. I watched him during the huddles and he didn't have a pout face going and he was happily celebrating in the locker room.

Pitino is a players coach. I have little doubt that he or the assistants went over the plan with IW and told him that he was not in the primary game plan because of how Wisky plays and the match ups, but that he should be ready in case and that he should know that he is an important cog in this team. His time will come.

Correct. I don’t recall seeing Oturu on the court, where is the outrage or the conspiracy plans on why he didn’t play?

Sorry, I meant Omersa....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Correct. I don’t recall seeing Oturu on the court, where is the outrage or the conspiracy plans on why he didn’t play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you got your "O"'s confused.

This post is right on the money. Washington just can't be trusted in tight games like this. Especially against a a team like Wisconsin's that will limit your possessions. You can't have quick shots and turnovers. Expect more of this until Washington shows he can handle himself and not spazz every time he gets the ball.

Coffey had 5 TOs, Murph and Oturu had 3 a piece. If this is about TOs then again it seems IW is being unfairly punished/singled out. He’s earned the opportunity to play in these types of games, especially when the offense is stalling and desperately needs a playmaker to shake things up.

Reading some of the posts on this thread, you'd think that Washington had been playing terrible all season.

According to the team stats, Washington is averaging 18 minutes per game - 7th on the team, and is leading the team in assists at 4.1 a game.

Stop and think about that - the team leader in assists gets a DNP-coach's decision in a key conference game.

So, his not playing is a story. You can blame it all on Washington, but at some point, it's also on the coaches to get through to him and help him/make him play the way the coaches want. No matter how you portion out responsibility, the guy was a highly-rated recruit, and if he doesn't pan out, that hurts the program. His fault - the coaches' fault - nobody's fault - it still hurts the program if he doesn't pan out, or even if the coaches don't feel comfortable playing him in a key game.

Nice cherry-picking of his stats. How about the others? I can see arguments for trying to play him in the second half, but certainly not the first. Do you think he should've played in the first? He wasn't THAT highly rated, and players in his range don't pan out pretty regularly. Offers are a better indicator than stars, unless you feel these sites are better evaluators than actual coaches. This is one game he didn't play in, and we WON AT MADISON. It's sad how many people on here are finding so many things to complain about. I suppose that's why your username has "ornery" in it though. Enjoy the win.

We just beat a nationally ranking arch rival for the first time in 10 years on their home court and people are questioning coaching decisions in a lengthy thread. Funny stuff! IW will play plenty when he decides it is time.

Coffey had 5 TOs, Murph and Oturu had 3 a piece. If this is about TOs then again it seems IW is being unfairly punished/singled out. He’s earned the opportunity to play in these types of games, especially when the offense is stalling and desperately needs a playmaker to shake things up.

You have no idea what he's earned. We won on the road at Wisconsin for the first time in years, and you're saying the coach played the wrong players. :rolleyes:

when you are trying to modify behavior, which Pitino is certainly trying to do with IW, there are times when when it might set you back, lose to much ground to put the man to the test in a very difficult situation. Wisconsin's slow half court play is very hard to play, especially for those players that want to go full speed. Spencer T said before the game how difficult it was for teams to deal with the tempo Wisconsin dictates. It is there specialty. I would bet money that IW and Pitino are tight. Pitino is a teacher.

I definitely agree that it is absurd to question what IW could have done for the Gophers in this game, when the team played great, and the man taking his minutes (primarily Stull) played a huge part in the win. But, IW not playing is a story. He is supposed to be our guy at point next year, so, what's the deal?

What's the deal is the big question. Coaches don't trust him right now? The Big Ten doesnt fit his style, which means they mis-recruited? Injury? Discipline?

Its definitely a talker.

I definitely agree that it is absurd to question what IW could have done for the Gophers in this game, when the team played great, and the man taking his minutes (primarily Stull) played a huge part in the win. But, IW not playing is a story. He is supposed to be our guy at point next year, so, what's the deal?

What's the deal is the big question. Coaches don't trust him right now? The Big Ten doesnt fit his style, which means they mis-recruited? Injury? Discipline?

Its definitely a talker.

IW just needs to grow into the B1G game. He may not be the man need year. Look for Carr to play PG. He would be right now if the NCAA had handled him ro our advantage. With Curry back, Carr is our only missing piece. It is easy to forget about him since he is sitting out the year. No reason to give up on IW either. He can be a huge part of our team. Could be tomorrow, well Tuesday. In the mean time, I will am happy to savor beating the Badgers at home. A great game.

I would rather be talking about how well Dupree played than wailing about IW. A fine game from him.

Last edited:

IW just needs to grow into the B1G game. He may not be the man need year. Look for Carr to play PG. He would be right now if the NCAA had handled him ro our advantage. With Curry back, Carr is our only missing piece. It is easy to forget about him since he is sitting out the year. No reason to give up on IW either. He can be a huge part of our team. Could be tomorrow, well Tuesday. In the mean time, I will am happy to savor beating the Badgers at home. A great game.

I would rather be talking about how well Dupree played than wailing about IW. A fine game from him.

+1 (Or about Coffey disappearing or Murphy being a non-factor.) Know it's a discussion board but couldn't believe the overall vibe of GH after the game. We beat the Badgers on their court!

+1 (Or about Coffey disappearing or Murphy being a non-factor.) Know it's a discussion board but couldn't believe the overall vibe of GH after the game. We beat the Badgers on their court!

This is a weird place. The vibe was even worse after our most recent NCAA tournament win, when you would think it would have been all smiles.

Its definitely a talker.

What's the deal with airplane food?

I think that is unfair to Washington....spazz out every time he gets the ball? I think he is learning and getting better with some relapses. The Wisky game was not suited to where he is at yet and it is obvious that this was a game that Pitino thought we could go in an win with the game plan and personnel he chose. It turns out that Stull proved him right. There is a lot of time left for IW to shine and I think he will.

You know what I am saying. Pitino plays Washington for big minutes this game, you know what would happen. Push the ball, go one on 3, clank. Bad shots early in the clock, clank. Shoot a few three pointers he probably has no chance making, clank. Wisconsin is the type of team that makes you pay for playing like that. Also, it was Stull who took his place and he was a big part of the win.

If Pitino thought Washington could play under control and smart, he would have seen some minutes. As of right now, he just can't be trusted in close games. Sorry, but this is how I see it and it looks as if the coaching staff feels the same way.

Can he be a good player? Heck yes, I think so, he can be a stud if he just learns how to play the game. He can beat people off the dribble better than anyone on the team. And his passing is good as well. It is the out of control play and knowing when he should or shouldn't shoot that will keep him on the bench is close games, etc.

Pitino is not getting nearly enough credit for how he is handling IW. He is making it quite apparent he is the coach of this team and no single player is bigger than this team. If you don't practice, play or represent the team correctly, you are simply not going to see the court which is clearly the biggest penalty for IW. From the celebration in the locker room after the WI game, it appears IW is clearly on board, respects the coach and deep inside knows he needs to pick it up both on and off the court. It is not easy making these decisions as a coach but it is the best way to make IW the very best player and person he can be. If IW continues to be receptive, he can have a tremendous impact on this program moving forward. If he plays TEAM basketball without worrying about how many points he is going to score, he will get over his current hurdle. I can guarantee you IW thought he was a 1 & done coming into MN with all of his "followers." If he is smart, he is reevaluating his personal goals, take advantage of this great education and use the next 2.5 years to continue practicing as hard as he can to get to the next level (which Pitino is trying very hard to help him with). IW has some of the most amazing talents that have ever set foot at MN. I badly hope he stays and achieves all of his goals here at the U of M.

Last edited:

So the question for those who know more than me (and even those that don't) is how does IW match up against Maryland? Would we expect him to see more minutes just based on match-up?

I would think IW would be our best match-up vs Cowan's quickness. Then again, IW and defense don't exactly mix well.

And for questions like,"Coach you just won for the first time in Wisconsin since 2009. Why didn't you play IW?"

I just wish Pitino would say, "Scoreboard! We're on to Maryland."

If anybody can prove they can hit FTs, that should earn them some floor at crunch time. Need to be able to put away some games in the last minute at the line.

If anybody can prove they can hit FTs, that should earn them some floor at crunch time. Need to be able to put away some games in the last minute at the line.

And handle the ball. Lots of poor ball handling throws games away at the end. IW can do both.

Top Bottom