GopherSports: Tyler Johnson Shatters Records, Primed For Big 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Johnson will enter the 2019 season with a chance to edit the record book again. He ranks seventh all-time in career receiving yards with 1,987. Decker is the school record holder with 3,119 career yards and is the only Gopher ever to eclipse 3,000 yards. Johnson will need 1,133 yards next season to break Decker's record and will need 1,013 yards to join him in Club 3,000.

Johnson ranks tenth in school history with 127 catches and again will be chasing Decker who is the program standard with 227 career receptions. Decker's 84 catches in 2008 is the school record, so Johnson will need a monster season – 100 catches – to tie Decker's record.

Johnson ranks fourth in school history with 20 receiving touchdowns. Ron Johnson (no relation) is first with 31 and is followed by Ernie Wheelwright (26) and Decker (24).

If Johnson were to duplicate his 2018 season (78 catches, 1,169 yards and 12 touchdowns) in 2019, he would leave Minnesota as he program holder in receiving yards (3,156) and touchdowns (32) and he would rank second all-time in catches (205).

Johnson will also enter 2019 having caught a pass in 23 straight games, which is tied for eighth in school history. Ron Johnson's record of 46 straight games is not reachable, but Tyler Johnson could finish second all-time (Decker and Tutu Atwell hold down second place with a catch in 34 straight games).

Johnson who has played in 36 career games (he missed the final two games of the 2017 season with an injury) has nine 100-yard career games on his resume. The school record is 11 and is held by Decker and Atwell.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1/3/football-johnson-shatters-records-primed-for-a-big-2019.aspx

Go Gophers!!

I don't think anything official has been announced but all anecdotal evidence, comments, etc. point to him coming back. I think it was just yesterday Bateman tweeted something with a photo of the two of them with a comment about working for 2019 season.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I would hope that the U would not put out a release like this if he truly has not decided.

True, but I think a lot of this is just celebrating players as a thing they do now.

They did a thing on the big board when TJ crossed some benchmark, that was really cool. I liked it.

I remember all of us saying Wheelright was a disappointment, but he somehow has the 2nd most TDs caught in school history. Interesting...

I remember all of us saying Wheelright was a disappointment, but he somehow has the 2nd most TDs caught in school history. Interesting...

Well, he arrived with such fanfare but was plagued with so many drops in his first three years. One that sticks out is in the Music City Bowl win over Alabama. A drop in the end zone kept the Tide in the game. He was terrific in his senior year in 2007 but the season was such a train wreck that his excellence, I think, is largely unrecalled. His performance at Northwestern that year was just awesome but he couldn't overcome a dreadful performance. by the defense.

Last edited:

Top Bottom