***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

A better team won tonight. AMEN. From camping in Az...on the phone.

All you ***s said our D wasn’t ****. (Oh the metrics say this) suck my dick!!

Man, what an AMAZING win! The first time we have won in Madison since (probably) 2008 or 2009 and people are finding a way to complain about it being ugly. News flash: Wisconsin specializes in making teams play ugly, especially at the Kohl Center. This is SUCH a huge win for this season and our resume - even more so if we can capitalize on the upcoming 4-game stretch. There is no other way to be but PUMPED!

PS. It's absolutely hilarious how packed with trolls and Pitino haters this game thread got when they were cutting the lead down to 2. Also hilarious? 95% of those posters are dead silent now.

I woke up this morning and said to myself "you know what, I'm not even going to get invested in this game. I'll watch it but stay calm" and now, more than 6 hours before tip-off, I know that isn't true. PLEASE WIN THIS GAME.

I did OK. Couple outbursts, mainly on Dupree buckets in the final 90 seconds.

Watched press conferences after game, typical Wisconsin egos, no one including Gard or his players gave any credit to MN for their effort and how they played, zero class as always by badgers, Ski-U-Mah! Go Gophers, huge road win and let’s keep it rollin’!!!

Yup. Stunningly low class. Hap’s demeanor at the podium was particularly immature.

Notice how Les was only around when Wisconsin was making it close? Ghost in the first half and at the end of the game.

An ugly win is better than an ugly loss. Bad execution down the stretch on offense but found a way.

Just got back from the game... I knew it would tighten up, and it did, but the better and more deserving team won, hallelujah!

An ugly win is better than an ugly loss. Bad execution down the stretch on offense but found a way.
We managed to lead almost the entire game, and to hold them off when they made their run down the stretch.
I found the evening quite attractive, as pretty a win as you're apt to see against Wisconsin.

the trolling of the trolls is fantastic. vintage GH

I was nervous the entire game. Even up 15. Gophers never relinquished the lead once they got it.

If this has already been discussed, I apologize, but not impressed with Gard in the postgame. Not a word about giving the gophers credit. Most coaches after a loss will find a way to compliment the opponent. Gard only wanted to talk about how great the Badger defense was. The only reason they lost was poor shooting, which Gard intimated was out of his control. Made me feel all the better about handing him a loss.

What an ass kicking.... Kohl Center exit.. Geezers to retirement trailerpartk

Awesome win, but this is not a good Badger team at all, they should not be ranked. But I'll take it!

Wow, what a nice surprise! That first half defense was probably the most encouraging thing I've seen from the Gophers since their win over Michigan State in the Big Ten Tournament just before the NCAA's. That was a locked in team that was grinding on every defensive possession even after disappointing offensive trips that ended in turnovers or bad shots. I thought there were a couple bad whistles/no calls against the Gophers early: the first one on Murphy when Reuvers was leaning all over him and the ref called Murphy for hooking him. Then you had the missed shot to Murphy's face that cost us two free throws and then you had the bizarre touch foul on Oturu guarding Happ when Happ was putting his hands on guys like that on literally every play. They didn't let any of that bother them and just kept making life miserable for the Badges. Eventually, Amir Coffey started putting on a show! It seemed like after Amir knocked down that first 3 from the top of the key, his confidence went to another level. We need the Amir that's looking to score to come out consistently! Really good team effort from every single guy playing defense in the first half.

Second half. First of all, I hated going to Oturu post ups on 2 of the first 3 possessions of the half. I might be remembering it wrong, but I think we had 3 possessions with a chance to extend the lead to start the second half and we had a bad turnover from Daniel a missed tough shot from Daniel and another turnover from someone else. Only getting one shot in 3 possessions was a brutal way to start the second half. The lead was really getting cut down and things looked very shaky until Brock Stull hit those back to back 3's! For a team that's had so little outside scoring and so little bench production, those 3's were massive. I might have the order wrong here as some of the game still feels like a blur, but there was a huge negative stretch that occurred in the second half (I believe it was after Stull put us up 12) when Happ went to the bench. The Gophers had a great chance to extend the lead but instead allowed scores on 3 straight possessions, all by Reuvers, for a 6-0 run with Happ on the bench. It was at that point that I started to get very nervous about the Gophers chances. Underrated unexpected moment that occurred sometime after that run: the Gophers lead was down to either 2 or 4 and they looked out of sorts offensively. The possession before ended with a missed Michael Hurt post up shot. This possession also ended in the hands of Michael Hurt down on the very same block...and he scored! to put the Gophers back up 4 or 6. The last 5 minutes or whatever it was when the Gophers were not scoring were absolutely brutal. I will say that Murphy's 4th foul was absolutely bogus and the 5th was ticky tack at best. That said, the Gophers offense had ground to a halt before Murphy was disqualified. To go that long without getting a decent look or drawing a foul and getting to the line was truly ridiculous...especially when you are playing offense in front of your own bench. To say I was having visions of the dreaded Tubby stall and choke or Pitino losing 15 point half in the past would be an understatement. I won't dwell on the offense more than that. Defensively, I didn't understand why the Gophers weren't fouling Happ earlier on in the second instead of letting him shoot from inside 6-7 feet. Either double and deny him the shot or single him, but foul him if gets to his sweet spots. Kudos to Pitino for adjusting late and simply hacking Happ.

The moment of doom: Gophers had the ball and a chance go up 7 with 3 and change to play. Worst case scenario seemingly is that they hold the ball again and the Badgers get it back with around 3 to play. Instead, Happ steals the ball from Curry early in the shot clock and Dupree bizarrely doesn't foul him and the lead is cut to 3 in the blink of an eye. That was truly the point where I felt we were going to experience another unfathomable Gopher loss.

The lucky break: Nothing going at all on offense forever and Amir gets stuck in the air and is able to adjust and get a shot up on the rim that goes in. This is not to say the Gophers were lucky in this game (far from it), but that shot going in was badly needed at that time. In fairness, there were a couple of straight on 3's that rimmed out for Minnesota before this.

The play of the game: Dupree's steal and score with about 1:20 left. I can't say enough about this play and the player who made it. He just picked the pocket of a really solid player in Trice and took it in for a score that really won the game. He then followed it up with a steal and dunk on the very next possession to leave no doubt. The Gophers winning this game was more than enough for me, but to see Dupree make the clutch play to seal the victory was really extra special. I am so happy for that kid tonight, he certainly deserves to feel some pure elation/joy after what he's been through.

Did any of our bigs score a basket in the second half?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly didn’t seem so. All looked pretty inept tonight. Oturu will get better and Curry will get confidence back. It’s Murph I’m concerned about. He’s not adjusting to double teams - 3 TO average needs to get addressed by coaching staff. Looks like Cousins holding onto ball in pocket.

Certainly didn’t seem so. All looked pretty inept tonight. Oturu will get better and Curry will get confidence back. It’s Murph I’m concerned about. He’s not adjusting to double teams - 3 TO average needs to get addressed by coaching staff. Looks like Cousins holding onto ball in pocket.

Oh Snap!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Isn't an ugly loss the same as a moral victory?

awesome win

but man do we need to get a few more set plays in the works for the offense. was too much dribbling around in the 2nd half and IW wasn't even playing.

Isn't an ugly loss the same as a moral victory?

I agree, take the win on the road..... packed house, rated team, have not won their in years. Be happy the Gophers won!

Back to work to get better.

Go Gophers!

Did you see Pitinos death stare after cutting him off with the no on the second question.

Yeah. Looked exactly the same as after every other question as he's waiting for the next question.

I agree, take the win on the road..... packed house, rated team, have not won their in years. Be happy the Gophers won!

Back to work to get better.

Go Gophers!

It was just a very ugly game overall. Never said I wasn't happy about the win.

Top Bottom