AP: With a smile for mom, Minnesota’s Curry returns from injury

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

When Eric Curry entered Minnesota’s most recent game, his first live action in 654 days, he carried a wide smile with him onto the court .

This was the look of satisfaction by a player whose injured left knee kept him on the sideline for all of last season and 12 games into this one. This was also the expression of appreciation for his mother, Audrea Phipps, and all of her support through the arduous rehabilitation process.

“She told me a couple of weeks before, ‘Whenever your first game is, I think they’re probably going to give you a standing ovation,’” Curry said. “I didn’t believe that. Why would they do that? It’s me just playing.”

True to her prediction, the crowd at Williams Arena on Sunday for Minnesota’s win over Mount St. Mary’s loudly cheered Curry as he checked in early in the first half for the first time since the Gophers lost to Middle Tennessee on March 16, 2017, in the NCAA Tournament.

“I was imagining her watching the game,” Curry said. “It was going through my head that she was probably crying right now.”

She confirmed as much on her Twitter account on Wednesday. “Thankful for that moment!” Phipps tweeted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...f878a26288a_story.html?utm_term=.d10199d35dac

Go Gophers!!

per Greder: Confident his knee will hold up, Gophers center Eric Curry ready to get ‘my groove back’

When Eric Curry’s left knee swelled toward the end of his four-to-six-week rehab schedule in early December, his doubts for a season debut also grew.

“I was like, ‘Oh, this might be longer than I expected it to be,’” Curry recalled Wednesday, Jan. 2. “I started getting down on myself a little bit.”

To keep his spirits up, Curry’s mother, Audrea Phipps, and Gophers coach Richard Pitino telephoned him each day and night. Then Sunday, eight weeks into the season, Curry’s return came with six rebounds and four points in 17 minutes off the bench during Minnesota’s 71-53 victory over Mount St. Mary’s.

Rested from the U’s final nonconference game of the season, Curry reported no pain Wednesday but some soreness heading into the restart of Big Ten play against No. 22 Wisconsin at Kohl Center in Madison on Thursday.

“It was just getting my groove back,” the redshirt sophomore center said.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...gophers-center-eric-curry-ready-get-my-groove

Go Gophers!!

I really like Curry and his mom. She seems to be one of those parents who cares deeply about her sons success but isn't over bearing and is never negative about the team. She was very vocal all of last year (on twitter) while watching games, even though she knew he couldn't be playing.

We need him and I think he can be a fan favorite. Might not be the best player in Gopher history but could certainly leave his mark here.

I really like Curry and his mom. She seems to be one of those parents who cares deeply about her sons success but isn't over bearing and is never negative about the team. She was very vocal all of last year (on twitter) while watching games, even though she knew he couldn't be playing.

We need him and I think he can be a fan favorite. Might not be the best player in Gopher history but could certainly leave his mark here.

I agree and am excited for Curry to get make an impact on the team. It also looks like Pitino has been very supportive of his players and has a good relationship with their parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Curry has a gutsy performance tonight. Made a couple buckets and grabbed a few huge rebounds. Looks physical and strong. Legs and lungs will get there. Needs more practice and PT, two things he will get going forward. Guessing he will be really solid in a couple weeks!

Mr. Curry has a gutsy performance tonight. Made a couple buckets and grabbed a few huge rebounds. Looks physical and strong. Legs and lungs will get there. Needs more practice and PT, two things he will get going forward. Guessing he will be really solid in a couple weeks!
Agreed - he showed more than I expected tonight.

Top Bottom