Way-Too-Early Top 25 College Football Rankings for 2019 (15 Others to Watch: MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

15 Other Teams to Watch in 2019

Minnesota

The Golden Gophers don’t lose much off a team that showed marked improvement in 2018, finishing 7-6 after beating Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. Receiver Tyler Johnson is considering an early jump to the NFL, but if he returns, the offense’s biggest loss will be two starters in the trenches (Donnell Greene and Jared Weyler). The backfield will be one of the deepest in the Big Ten with the return of Mohamed Ibrahim and Rodney Smith back from injury. Minnesota’s defense will miss standout linebacker Blake Cashman, but this unit played better late in the year after Joe Rossi assumed the play-calling duties.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/way-too-early-top-25-college-football-rankings-2019

Go Gophers!!

Confirmation that the way we finished opened some eyes Nationally. Would bet a lot of publications will have us in categories like this, one of those sleeper teams that if things go right could jump up into contention in their conference.

Confirmation that the way we finished opened some eyes Nationally. Would bet a lot of publications will have us in categories like this, one of those sleeper teams that if things go right could jump up into contention in their conference.

This very article has us as the 5th best team in the big ten west.

This very article has us as the 5th best team in the big ten west.

That's pretty good considering the top 4 teams are all rated in the top 25. It means we would be picked to finish ahead of Purdue. Seems like the B1G West should be pretty balanced.

I think the B1G West will be highly competitive next year. I can see the Gophers, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Purdue all with a chance of winning it.

I think the B1G West will be highly competitive next year. I can see the Gophers, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Purdue all with a chance of winning it.

The B1G west will be a slaughterhouse next year...

Alabama at #1 and Clemson at #2

No friggin way!

That's the average B1G West finish of the Gophers since 2011.

I don't think there was an East and West until 2014....it was the leaders and legends divisions before that for a few years and it was different divisions than it is now.

Way too much love for a Nebraska team with 5 wins this year.

My sentiments precisely. And UGA over Texas by quite a few spots, even though Texas won the head to head.

I think the overall balance of power in this conference is about to shift from the East to the West. You may still have Ohio State at the overall top, but the strength and depth of the Big10 is gonna be out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the end of this past season the Gophers were already a top 40 team. This source calling them that is behind the curve.

I don't think there was an East and West until 2014....it was the leaders and legends divisions before that for a few years and it was different divisions than it is now.

That's with the records extrapolated from the Legends & Leaders Division into the B1G West.

B1G WEST AVERAGE OVERALL & CONFERENCE STANDING 2011-2017 C.jpg

They like us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Gophers are among “others to watch” - I will most certainly watch them then.

Yes, crazy that they have them ranked 19th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huskers went 4-2 in their final 6 games with close losses at Ohio State and at Iowa. Also lost 3 heart breakers in their first 6, two of which had Adrian Martinez getting hurt late in Colorado game and missing Troy game completely. Might have been a different story if that didn't happened (shoulda, coulda, woulda...)

Martinez played well last half of season as a true freshman, throwing 11 TDs and 3 INTs with another 5 rushing TDs. They will be a tough team next year.

Will be interesting to see how they do. They haven't proved they deserve the praise that they have received so far. I know one thing for sure though, we need to play much better than we did last year against them.

Will be interesting to see if UCF falls off the table or if Scott Frost was the equivalent of Dan Monson.

Top Bottom