Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 119 of 119
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    And what do the 100 teams that won't be in the playoff play for? I bet they would miss having a chance to play a "meaningless exhibition game".
    An interesting fallout could be people leaving P5 conferences to try exploiy a perceived weaker conference to make the playoff. Sounds wild


  2. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    And what do the 100 teams that won't be in the playoff play for? I bet they would miss having a chance to play a "meaningless exhibition game".
    If you wanted to still have the Independence Bowl or Quick Lane Bowl for the 7-5 or 6-6 teams that don't make the playoff, that would be fine....it would be like the NIT is in basketball. Not every team makes a Bowl game so it wouldn't have to change that much. Hopefully the Gophers would be striving to make the playoff rather than be 6-6 again and play in a Bowl game in Detroit.

    The reason to not have a playoff is it would take too much time away from classes, and I can understand why the university presidents might not want to do it. That's why I scheduled a week off in December for all teams....its just 16 teams would have one week off and the other 16 teams would have the other week off. The reason not to have a playoff isn't because of lack of interest or money, because it would make way more money and have way more interest than the system we have now.

  3. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I don't care about what makes Jim Delaney happy and more wealthy. The B1G is never excluded from the playoff. Sorry, osu got rolled by a mediocre Purdue team that excludes osu, not the fact that they were in the B1G. In other sports anyone can get on a hot run or have incredible luck, in college football it is unique, or was unique in the fact that the team everyone thought was best, based on season long performance, was crowned champion, and then the two teams everyone thought best were selected to play each other. They earned it by playing an entire season, in other sports these great teams can be done in by a playoff fluke and forgotten to history a few years later. The season seems meaningful to me to plenty of teams that have no shot at the championship, plenty of teams take the bowl games very seriously. Sure sometimes you get teams feeling sorry for themselves because they think they under achieved, but I don't think we need to appease them. Also not all players with a pro opportunity will skip the bowl, and I think it's crazy to think players would not skip if they were in a playoff which would require more risk due to more games. I do not think a playoff would do anything to balance recruiting either, and the game doesn't need lifting, what ever that means.


    And Oklahoma got beat by Texas who got beat by an even weaker Maryland team. The Ohio State/Purdue game was a very emotional game for Purdue, and sometimes the better team doesn't win. It's hard to be up for 13 straight games. Ohio State was ranked ahead of Oklahoma all year while both teams were undefeated. The only reason Oklahoma got in and Ohio State didn't is because Ohio State got beat after Oklahoma did.

  4. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    An interesting fallout could be people leaving P5 conferences to try exploiy a perceived weaker conference to make the playoff. Sounds wild
    It seems unlikely that current P5 teams would “move down” to G5. There’s just too much money attached to P5 conferences to sell that vision in boardrooms.

    But if a playoff expansion to either 6 or 8 that makes it more likely a G5 team is included actually happens, there is definitely going to be a flood of FCS teams (and probably entire FCS conferences) reclassifying to FBS. NDSU and the MO Valley Conference would be likely first-movers.

  5. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    And Oklahoma got beat by Texas who got beat by an even weaker Maryland team. The Ohio State/Purdue game was a very emotional game for Purdue, and sometimes the better team doesn't win. It's hard to be up for 13 straight games. Ohio State was ranked ahead of Oklahoma all year while both teams were undefeated. The only reason Oklahoma got in and Ohio State didn't is because Ohio State got beat after Oklahoma did.
    Huh? Your logic makes no sense. If you're going to play the transitive game (which is stupid in the first place), OSU lost to Purdue, who lost to Eastern Michigan. You'd be comparing Eastern Michigan to Maryland, not Purdue to Maryland.

    Oklahoma got in instead of OSU on a virtual tiebreaker because they were roughly equivalent teams with roughly equivalent schedules. That virtual tiebreaker was a 29-point loss to Purdue. It was, by FAR, the worst loss of any team in contention, and probably the worst loss in the last several years for teams in that position. Teams deserving of a playoff spot don't lose to mediocre teams by 29 points.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Huh? Your logic makes no sense. If you're going to play the transitive game (which is stupid in the first place), OSU lost to Purdue, who lost to Eastern Michigan. You'd be comparing Eastern Michigan to Maryland, not Purdue to Maryland.

    Oklahoma got in instead of OSU on a virtual tiebreaker because they were roughly equivalent teams with roughly equivalent schedules. That virtual tiebreaker was a 29-point loss to Purdue. It was, by FAR, the worst loss of any team in contention, and probably the worst loss in the last several years for teams in that position. Teams deserving of a playoff spot don't lose to mediocre teams by 29 points.
    The only comparable loss I can think of is Ohio State getting crushed by Iowa last year (2017), but I don't think they were really in contention after that 2nd loss anyway.

  7. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    And Oklahoma got beat by Texas who got beat by an even weaker Maryland team. The Ohio State/Purdue game was a very emotional game for Purdue, and sometimes the better team doesn't win. It's hard to be up for 13 straight games. Ohio State was ranked ahead of Oklahoma all year while both teams were undefeated. The only reason Oklahoma got in and Ohio State didn't is because Ohio State got beat after Oklahoma did.
    My point is why are we arguing about either of these teams deserving a shot? I'd be fine if neither of them got a shot.

  8. #113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Huh? Your logic makes no sense. If you're going to play the transitive game (which is stupid in the first place), OSU lost to Purdue, who lost to Eastern Michigan. You'd be comparing Eastern Michigan to Maryland, not Purdue to Maryland.

    Oklahoma got in instead of OSU on a virtual tiebreaker because they were roughly equivalent teams with roughly equivalent schedules. That virtual tiebreaker was a 29-point loss to Purdue. It was, by FAR, the worst loss of any team in contention, and probably the worst loss in the last several years for teams in that position. Teams deserving of a playoff spot don't lose to mediocre teams by 29 points.
    The issue is last year OSU missed because of their loss to Iowa in blowout fashion.
    Iowa was 7-5 / 8-5 last year.

    That was a worse loss than Clemson losing at 4-8 Syracuse in 2017.

    So evidently blowout losses against solid 0.500 teams who played 10 power 5 teams is worse than a loss by a smaller margin to a 4-8 team who played 9 Power 5 teams.

    If you are going to lose, lose narrowly to a bad team instead of losing by a larger margin to a good team.
    Go Gophers!

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    The issue is last year OSU missed because of their loss to Iowa in blowout fashion.
    Iowa was 7-5 / 8-5 last year.

    That was a worse loss than Clemson losing at 4-8 Syracuse in 2017.

    So evidently blowout losses against solid 0.500 teams who played 10 power 5 teams is worse than a loss by a smaller margin to a 4-8 team who played 9 Power 5 teams.

    If you are going to lose, lose narrowly to a bad team instead of losing by a larger margin to a good team.
    That was Ohio State's 2nd loss though in 2017.

  10. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    That was Ohio State's 2nd loss though in 2017.
    Crap.

    I was wrong.

    Again.
    Go Gophers!

  11. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    That was a worse loss than Clemson losing at 4-8 Syracuse in 2017.
    Inapplicable, because the Iowa loss was OSU's second loss. You'd have a point had it been their first loss. And if OSU had beaten Iowa, they would have been a lock to be in, as their one loss to that point was Oklahoma.

  12. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Huh? Your logic makes no sense. If you're going to play the transitive game (which is stupid in the first place), OSU lost to Purdue, who lost to Eastern Michigan. You'd be comparing Eastern Michigan to Maryland, not Purdue to Maryland.

    Oklahoma got in instead of OSU on a virtual tiebreaker because they were roughly equivalent teams with roughly equivalent schedules. That virtual tiebreaker was a 29-point loss to Purdue. It was, by FAR, the worst loss of any team in contention, and probably the worst loss in the last several years for teams in that position. Teams deserving of a playoff spot don't lose to mediocre teams by 29 points.
    I'm not arguing that Ohio State got screwed. I'm talking about a playoff system that is screwed up. The point is that two teams both had one loss and were really close. What about Ohio State killing Michigan, which was a better win than any Oklahoma win. Why force yourself to have to make a decision like that? It could happen that you have 5 teams all with one loss that you have to decide which one is knocked out. Then politics is involved. Why not just have an actual playoff like they do in every other sport at every other level? Not one where you have to make a subjective decision. What about 2014 when TCU and Baylor didn't get in as deserving 1 loss teams from the Big 12?

  13. #118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    My point is why are we arguing about either of these teams deserving a shot? I'd be fine if neither of them got a shot.
    I agree, with the screwed up playoff system we have now, no matter which team you picked, you could make a reasonable argument that the other team should have gotten picked. My point has been why not have a system that takes all of that out of the equation? Like they do in every other sport at every other level.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    13,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Which is probably pretty common if the #5 team wins their bowl, since three teams in front of them will aquire a loss.
    FWIW, the Buckeyes were rated #3 in the Sagarin computer ratings before the playoff even started.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •