Can Gophers average 300 rushing yards and 200 passing yards per game next year?

Kinda like Georgia Tech's offense, huh?

I don't think GT's six plays from scrimmage in the first quarter qualify.

Against Wisconsin, we had a more than 10-minute edge in TOP. I assumed it was something similar against GT, but it wasn't. Our edge was less than 1.5 minutes. Sure didn't feel that way, though.

JTG

If we run the ball so effectively, there will be little time/need to pass.

The blueprint the last couple games has been to eat up a lot of clock with the ground game. Give me a strong ground game and big TOP edge, and it may not matter what the total yardage is.

JTG

I don't think GT's six plays from scrimmage in the first quarter qualify.

Against Wisconsin, we had a more than 10-minute edge in TOP. I assumed it was something similar against GT, but it wasn't. Our edge was less than 1.5 minutes. Sure didn't feel that way, though.

JTG

My point may have been missed. GT's offense is predicated on running the ball effectively and controlling the clock with very little time/need to pass. They're pretty one dimensional. It didn't work out all that well for them in the bowl game.

With a RPO offense, Minnesota will take what the defense gives. If they put 7 or more in the box, we'll throw. If they put 6 or less in the box, we'll run. Toss in a few over the top passes to keep the safeties at bay and the defense will always be on their heels.

Yeah, the idea is to control the clock the way GT tried to with its option ... but not be so heavily dependent on the ground game.

Unlike GT, I think we'll be able to pass if we need to. And we'll certainly be able to pass when the opportunity presents itself.

JTG

Yeah, the idea is to control the clock the way GT tried to with its option ... but not be so heavily dependent on the ground game.

Unlike GT, I think we'll be able to pass if we need to. And we'll certainly be able to pass when the opportunity presents itself.

JTG

Fleck did exactly that at WMU with RPO and about a 60/40 split of run/pass plays. Gophs had the same mix in 2018. TOP is a big stat for him. Used no-huddle at WMU but very seldom went uptempo. Same with Gophs. What I haven't seen is the pre-snap motion to the extent he did it at WMU.

I just went with the biggest guy! Didn't know Os(e)land punched out. Sub in Dickson at 315lbs.

He's still here isn't he?

He has transferred to San Jose State for his final year.

With the improvements on the offensive line after Faalele was moved to right tackle, can we have a dominant offensive attack next year?

Not sure of all the Offensive line starters but with a core of:
LT: Dickson 6'6" 315
LG: Dunlap 6'5" 370
C: Olson 6'5" 295
RG: Andries 6'5" 313
RT: Faalele 6'9" 400

QB: ZA or TM

Loaded Running backs

Return of all-B1G receiver and John Legend's nephew (I hope he hits some high notes as a Gopher!)

Can we have a dual threat offense capable of averaging close to 500/yds per game?

Think about how much help that would give to our defense!

That means our line averages an amazing 339 lb. I see 10 wins

I watched a replay of Minnesota's 2003 Sun Bowl win over Oregon today. A graphic came on the screen saying that the Gophers averaged 502 yards of offense during that regular season, which really surprised me. So, if I read it right, the 500-yard mark is a huge reach but not unprecedented. Do we have an equal to Abdul-Khaliq, Maroney, Barber, Tapeh and that offensive line? If Johnson returns, I don't think Minnesota's present receivers are exactly outclassed by Hosack, Ellerson, Patterson, Wallace and freshman Wheelwright, but we do not have a facsimile of either Utecht or freshman Spaeth.

Last edited:

Fleck did exactly that at WMU with RPO and about a 60/40 split of run/pass plays. Gophs had the same mix in 2018. TOP is a big stat for him. Used no-huddle at WMU but very seldom went uptempo. Same with Gophs. What I haven't seen is the pre-snap motion to the extent he did it at WMU.

Gophers were right at that 60/40 split this season but the 55% pass completion and 7.8 yards per completion held us back. Need to get those numbers closer to 65% at a 8.5+yd/comp average and this offense will be humming. I expect our average yards per rush to improve on the 4.1 yd/carry as well.

I watched a replay of Minnesota's 2003 Sun Bowl win over Oregon today. A graphic came on the screen saying that the Gophers averaged 502 yards of offense during that regular season, which really surprised me. So, if I read it right, the 500-yard mark is a huge reach but not unprecedented. Do we have an equal to Abdul-Khaliq, Maroney, Barber, Tapeh and that offensive line? If Johnson returns, I don't think Minnesota's present receivers are exactly outclassed by Hosack, Ellerson, Patterson, Wallace and freshman Wheelwright, but we do not have a facsimile of either Utecht or freshman Spaeth.

2003 averaged 494.7 yards per game.

2005 edged them out, averaging 494.8 yards per game. Those two seasons are by far the highest this millennium.

We do not have a facsimile of either Utecht or freshman Spaeth.

The coaches are high on Brevyn-Spann, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him do as well as Utecht or Spaeth did in the first couple years.

The coaches are high on Brevyn-Spann, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him do as well as Utecht or Spaeth did in the first couple years.

Yep, in Burns latest free podcast, he said he has talked to the staff and they fully expect him to be a major part of the offense next year.

We ran all over Georgia Tech in the bowl game and didn't get to 300 yards.

Top Bottom